Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-19-2006, 04:04 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 2007 Power Cruiser Shootout

I read what you said:

"I take rides through the mountains almost every weekend and the handling is fine."

Fine for a 3 legged elephant? The handling was bad for 1985, and here in 2006, it's worse. Bikes got better. This one didn't.

" just ask the GSXR and Buell people I ride with they are very impressed with the handling and performance of this bike."

They are? What would they be impressed with? The way it pushes terribly through slow turns, or the way it wobbles through the fast ones. Maybe they were impressed you could ride around a corner and actually stay upright on that thing. It is fast, and it's fun in a straight line, but after getting 22 mpg when I was blasting it and having it wobble all over the road, I guess I got tired of it. If you love yours, that's great. Just see it for what it is, and what it isn't. It's an old motorcycle with a really good motor.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 AM   #22
anrajala
Founding Member

That´s a novel approach, to put a 650 Hyosung in a power cruiser comparo. This is surely thinking outside of the box. But how´bout putting some cruisers which actually have some power?

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:09 AM   #23
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"- Honda Rune "

Maybe the fact they don't make that piece of crap any more would be why they didn't include it. Wait! You are right! I think there are a couple 3 year old ones still in the dealership with the discount tags on em. I'll run one right over to MO for the test.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:18 AM   #24
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Companies are still making cruisers?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #25
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I'd have gone with the 2L Streak for this test too. The Rocket 3 would seem to have the Power part of "Power Cruiser" covered. But there's always the next test.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member

Bike weight a little more than 450 lbs and has 72 crank hp. The power to weight ratio would lead me to believe the little cruiser would hold its own in a BIG twin shootout.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #27
cls
Registered Member

I know you can't always get everything you want for a test, but, yeh, I'm going to have to go w/everyone else and ask where the M109R is? I also agree w/having the Hyosung/United Motors 650 Cruise. I test rode one and was pretty impressed. I have little doubt it would outhandle all the others handily, and it had nice acceleration (Not brute power, but good revs.). I'm on the verge of getting the M109R, so I got fired up at the article's title. I'm a little let down. And hurt. Or not...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #28
anrajala
Founding Member

Lemme get this straight ace. You are saying VN2000, VTX and RIII are not power cruisers because they are not marketed as such?

Hey I have good news for you, Lumina is marketed as a good car

- cruiz-euro

Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #29
rmsvmax
Founding Member

Look again...The Warrior has radial-mount R1 calipers, LIGHT YEARS ahead of the early 90s's FZR Sumitumo calipers the V-MAX is saddled with.

OK, before I get started, a BIG THANX to MO for not forgetting the original 'hot-rod'!!!

Yamaha should be ASHAMED that they have flat-out IGNORED the V-MAX in favor of all the STAR BS, when it would have been SO easy to just put the same USD fork, R1 brakes, a decent set of rear shocks, wider handlebars, and frame bracing on this TIMELESS monster???

HOW HARD is THAT???

Not hard at all.

Where else can U find a bike, in ANY category, that can still compete after 23 years virtually unchanged, and sells better now than it did in 85, with NO HELP, in ANY WAY, from its' own manufacturer...???

WHEN is the last time U saw a VMAX commercial, IF EVER, and when is that last time U saw a VMAX brochure in MOST YAM dealerships???

(BTW, If I see another 'Star' burnout commercial, I'm gonna PUKE!!!...Want to see a REAL BURNOUT???...Long Live The KING!...LOL)

Most people are not even aware VMAXs are still made...and STILL they sell.

With some VERY easy 'fixes', which COULD have been done by Yamaha, and ARE done in the aftermarket, Mr. MAX is ONE SWEET HOT-ROD ride, that doesn't have to end when the road gets twisty...

Yamaha, STOP blowing smoke, with your surveys, meetings with current VMAXers, and the like, and just build a FI version that handles, with the technology U ALREADY HAVE!!!

(and NO, you really DON'T have to make the 'bigger is better' mistake Honda did with their VTX1800...Make it a 1500 AT BEST; U can ALWAYS go bigger later...It is MUCH harder to go back when U realize what a mistake U have made...and a VMAX 1300 would sound just as pathetic, after the fact, as the VTX1300 does now...)

In the meantime, we will keep making the current VMAX a HOOT to ride, and wait for YAM to wake up!

Most sincerely,

John Furbur

RMSportMax.com

PS. VMAXs ARE the ORIGINAL STAR.

Long live the STAR!
rmsvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 AM   #30
anrajala
Founding Member

And if you can´t get any of them, get them test a Valk. Even that has over 50% more power than that miserable MeanPissStreak. Get an old Valk with one spark plug missing, it´d still be mid pack in this "Power Cruiser" comparo.

- cruiz-euro