Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #171
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: An almost totally useless copmarison!

Your typos?
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #172
motorsickle
Registered Member

Default Re: 2007 Power Cruiser Shootout

Nice article. After having demoed all the bikes in there at Americade, I can relate to your conclusions. I especially liked the remark "you don't get used to the handling, you get used to being scared" about the Hammer. I thought the handling was down right dangurous. My favorite of the bunch is the Mean Streak because of the handling and the way I fit it. As far as the power goes, it can be increased to 100 hp with internal eng. work. I is to bad the Rocket III wasn't included. No other bike that I have ever rode has the MOTOR!!!!! that that bike has.
motorsickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #173
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Dude, what are you smoking?

"My thinking is that a power cruiser has to handle. That's why I picked these bikes. The VTX, Rocket III, Vulcan 2000 are pigs. They are something else; "gargantuan cruisers" perhaps?"

First off, I personally enjoyed the test because it was written from the same point of view I look at motorcycles from (which could be summed up as "why wasn't the Tuono included?"). But that also means it's typical of what you get when primarily-sportbike-focused mags review cruisers. Like me, I'm not sure y'all really "get" 'em.

I think of power cruising the same as buying gargantuan pickup trucks with enormous engines - they actually are pretty damn quick for 4-wheeled vehicles but don't handle very well. Yet they keep on selling, dispite ever rising gas prices....

The power cruiser mentality is like that - very distinctly American. Make it BIG and blingy, make it torquey, and above all it HAS TO look and sound impressive and intimidating, even if a Ninja 500 could actually beat it in a drag race. After that, not much matters. Not my cup of tea, but this seems to be the buying pattern in the market segment, judging by the gaggles of Harley guys and their antics when leaving any biker bar.

The Victory is purposefully built for this mentality - they put their money where their intended buyers are looking. Personally, the only ones here that appeal to me are the Harley (because it's *gasp* a good motorcycle as is) and the V-Max (because for the 6-7K difference between it and the American bikes, you can brace the frame and get 17" wheels and tires). I woudn't really call the Kawasaki Beef Steak a power cruiser - just a reasonably nice, heavyweight motorcycle spoiled by a cruiser riding position
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #174
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

I agree about the M109 and Rocket - they would have been appropriate additions. Maybe they'll do a follow-up test (hint-hint)???
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #175
warpdrive
Registered Member

My Guzzi Jackal handles better than all those bikes. I know it isn't as pretty though.
warpdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #176
warpdrive
Registered Member

different strokes for different folks, but I respect what you say.
warpdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #177
staff
Registered Member

Both -F
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #178
SRMark
Founding Member

Been looking for a new bike. Came very-very close to a CityX. Harley dealer killed the passion. Saw an '03 1500 Meanie. No-way would I ride a cruiser but it sure was pretty. Rode it just fer shtys though and damned if I didn't buy it. Stunning in its overall capability. With about $1,000 for free-breathing plumbing you get another 20 HP. Just about right. Shaft drive & hydraulic valves = little maintenance. Sure could use some rear-sets and a tad more clearance though. As for the plain Jane looks and so-so attention to detail, you guys are nuts. It is far more integrated in its overall design than anything else in cruiserdoom IMHO. And a set of steel braided brake and clutch lines cleans up the look a bit also. This one has six-piston Tokico brakes and they work.

Is the Meanie mean? No. But neither are the others if you come up against a modern sport bike. But smiles for the miles it has. And that's all I ever look for. So, try one if you haven't. It's kinda like asparagus. I hated it as a kid but sure like it now. And the Meanie doesn't make your urine smell.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM   #179
kini
Founding Member

What typos? And who cares about typos I see plenty in your supposedly "edited" articles.

Bottom line is that this was a really lame comparison.

"Power""Cruisers". Key words "Power" and "Cruiser".

The V-Max is not a crusier- it's a standard UJM type as is the Rocket III (which of course was not included)

The StreetRod is more standard than cruiser- NightRod would've been better.

Victory makes several models without the fat tire you complained so much about.

By defenition a Powercrusier should be about power and cruising (DUH!)

There's nothing in the name that alludes to handling. It's all about straight lines and posing.

And maybe you guys need to work out a little if you're having such a hard time getting the Hammer to turn. It only takes a little upper body strength.

Hit the gym for Christ's Sake!
kini is offline   Reply With Quote