Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 AM   #21
hobbywhore
Registered Member

Default Re: 2007 CBF1000 First Ride Report

After reading the other comments, I'm almost afraid to admit I love this bike and was very disappointted when I found out Honda was not bringing it to the States. I grew up in the Sixty's when every bike was a touring bike and every bike was a sportbike. I miss that. Bikes today are too specialized. The CBF1000 is a bike designed to do many things - good at all, expert at none. And do it with power and handling to cope with real world conditions. I own one bike, not four or five. I want my bike to provide many experiences. And lets face it, its not the bike its the rider. A fact illustrated this weekend when of my three sportbike buddies got toasted at Deals Gap by a guy on a full dress Gold Wing.
hobbywhore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #22
iamz
Founding Member

I agree with all the comments in this chain. Please do not bring this to the states. It is incredibly bland in every aspect. It will not sell here.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #23
Wild_Bill
Founding Member

Fuel Capacity: 19 Liters = 5 gallons

Power: 72 KW = 96.5 HP

Torque: 97 NM = 71.5 foot-pounds

Weight: 220 Kg = 485 pounds

Wheelbase: 1483 mm = 58.4 inches

So the power/weight ratio is about the same

as my old FJ1200. I still agree that Suzuki is

going to clean up with their new Bandit 1250S.

This is really a repeat of Kawasaki's 1995-96 GPz1100, albeit a bit lighter both in power and weight. I owned one of those as well. A great

all-round machine. Given the comments on this board, it is obvious most folks identify with something a lot sportier, while a machine like this is OK for that as well as crossing multiple state lines. Problem is, in the USA most folks buy a touring rig or BMW for that, the latter a small part of the market.
Wild_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:17 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Since when does "budget bike" mean "slow bike"? The decision to depower the CB this much has northing to do with cost. It doesn't cost any more to put a hotter camshaft than a milder one.

Heck this dog has less power than my 91GSX1100G. And if Honda is aiming at mild tooring duty where's the shaft drive?

Sad. Soichiro is spinning in his grave (limited to 8000 rpm). Honda continues on it's MBA/committee-driven route to second place.

Fortunately for Honda it has its own cadre of brand loyalists who will continue to buy up Honda's boring boring boring lineup because of the "superior quality" (snicker snicker).

Self-delusion is a glorious thing.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #25
bboule
Founding Member

Amazing everyone can completely miss the point(s) which Yossef so clearly made about the purpose of this bike.

We must be hopelessly ridiculous "toy motorcyclists" to have only one person besides myself so far understand the purpose of this bike.

If it's perfectly OK for H-D or even Honda to make cruiser/retro styled bikes with very moderate performance but which are friendly, fun rides which work well anywhere and never give you a headache, what is the problem with making such a bike that is NOT retro styled?

Most of the Ducatis, all the supersports, bikes like the Tuono, standbys like the VFR, SV650, etc.. etc.. all suck compared to a cruiser when riding around town at slow speeds and just going about your day with no intention of augmenting your manliness with your bike or trying to prove you're the biggest idiot on the road. This bike sounds like Honda has just given that same cruiser convenience in a non-cruiser style. What is so wrong with that?

But I guess if we are all so hopelessly used to treating motorcycles as toys we are incapable of appreciating bikes like this, so Honda knows what it's doing if it doesn't bring it to the US.

As far as it could have made more power with a different cam that cost no more, etc.. I bet this thing gets fantastic fuel economy for it's displacement due to the way it's tuned. If it doesn't destroy it's rear 160 tire and it doesn't eat chains due to the quantity and quality of power it provides... it will actually be a large motorcycle that doesn't have exorbitant maintenance costs... something that could actually make sense as a commuter.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #26
red916
Founding Member

I work at a Honda dealership as a salesman. You say Honda reads these posts? Good. Honda - Please do not bring that wad of crap stateside. This is another fine example of Honda's inability to see. What the hell happened to you guys? I still have $7500 599s sitting in the showroom from 2005. Get real guys.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #27
red916
Founding Member

533 pounds?! You've GOT to be kidding, right?
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #28
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

It's a pretty sad day when a 450lb bike with 97hp is described as slow.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #29
christian_gates
Founding Member

Man - how did they manage to reduce HP and peak torque? That's quite a feat...although I suppose the RANGE of torque might be greater.

My overall impression, though: um, no thanks. By the by, I have a 1000RR and it pulls fine from lower RPM; I wouldn't start in 4th, mind you, but then again, who does that on a regular basis anyway? This is an uninspiring package, at best.

You almost get the idea that it's an engineering training program for some new hires or something.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 AM   #30
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Naked?

Lose the loser fairing. I think Honda is hoping that they can makeup profit by selling replacement plastic when the rider drops that horse faced hound. Naked is naked, meaning no fairing. Fairings on an otherwise naked bike should be something that can be purchased as an option. Those plastic covered contrivances only up your insurance premiums. Hate them.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote