Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   They're Out to Get You (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3966-theyre-out-get-you.html)

Holy_Kaw 10-07-2006 06:10 AM

Re: On the contary my poor misguided friend

Remember when the biggest and baddest thing going on in Washington was some putz lying about getting a BJ?

Coming up on a quarter Trillion spent and over 3,000 dead and that's just on "our" side. The negative intagibles may well cost far more in the years to come. Hard to imagine a more costly lie.

The only WMD that has killed Americans post 9/11 was made by the U.S., remember the Anthrax thing, kind of makes me wonder where Saddam would have got WMD when he did have it.

schizuki 10-07-2006 06:15 AM

Re: 3 Million Year Old Arctic Ice Disappearing

Oh, don't worry - they'll find ice increasing somewhere else. Just like the disappearing coral reefs that actually turned out to be growing.

And whenever these "ice is vanishing in such-and-such place" items turns up, it turns out to be wrong anyway.

Besides, it's probably just the growing glaciers from the 1970's finally melting. Remember those?

Oh, and we're still waiting for those Pacific islands to go underwater. Any day now, I'm sure.

schizuki 10-07-2006 06:17 AM

Re: Pop quiz: when's the last time 3 million year old ice was liquid?

I'm guessing "3 million year old Arctic ice" will be the new mantra for a while. Yawn.

schizuki 10-07-2006 06:22 AM

Re: 3 Million Year Old Arctic Ice Disappearing

BTW, tomk2, thirteen months ago you wrote this:

"A year from now you'll be experiencing deep nostalgia for the days of $3/gallon gas."

I take you as seriously as I take kpaul.

Buzglyd 10-07-2006 06:23 AM

Re: They're Out to Get You

Click the link in my header and read an excellent "Environmentalism as Religion" piece.

Buzglyd 10-07-2006 06:25 AM

Oops

Gabe 10-07-2006 06:56 AM

Oil Money, anyone?

James Inhofe, who is unfortunately chair of the committee on the environment, has taken over $300,000 from oil companies between '99 and 2004. A simple Google search of "James Inhofe oil" gives you that info in .15 seconds.

Do you think it's just remotely possible that his point of view could be just a little swayed by all those dollars? I know I would be.

Pay me that much money and I'll say $hit tastes just like mocha fudge ice cream and ask for seconds.

pkbrown 10-07-2006 07:06 AM

While the accident was not his fault and would have been just as serious had he been riding a scooter, high profile celebrities like Big Ben getting hurt raises public awareness that "motorcycles are dangerous."

I'm with Fred in that there is a definite discrimmination. We all know that riding a motorcycle safely on the street requires a lot more skill than driving a car on the street. So comparing motorcycle statistics with automobile statistics is perhaps inherently misleading, even if they didn't pull extra tricks like the "per mile traveled" thing Fred mentioned. The motorcycle statistics are an average of a wide range of skill levels, and I think we could argue that motorcycle skill level is more important in accident avoidance than cage-driving skill. While I won't argue riding is as safe as taking a cage, I think comparing average statistics is misleading.

I'm in my second year of dental school and I've been riding a Hawk GT for five years. (Go ahead and snicker about dentists and motorcycles, but I was riding before I chose that career path.) If I were to have an accident and break an arm or something, it would mean I'd be set back a whole year because I wouldn't be able to participate in lab and clinical exercises. There's currently a first year student who had some supersport for a few weeks and managed to really bang himself up showboating. And of course I start getting "did you hear what happend? Maybe you should get rid or your bike..." Then, within a few days one of my classmates breaks his arm playing "non-contact" flag football. All I can do is tell people that you have to be smart and take all the precautions you can, but you can't abandon the things you love out of fear.

oldtim 10-07-2006 07:16 AM

Junkscience.com is truly "junk science" Recall the old saw: consider the source. Junkscience.com is run by Steven Malloy of the Cato Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute both financed by corporations who have a financial stake in denying and covering up the environmental consequences of their actions. Malloy is an attack dog for the radical right who attacks anything and everyone who supports any environmental regulation at all. Malloy is not a scientist, has never published any scientific research to my knowledge. He has worked for the lobbying firm of Phillip Morris denying the health effects of tobacco. It is interesting that this propagandist denies that global warming is a fact, while the vast, vast majority of the worldwide scientific community recognizes this fact. It is unfortunate that so many on the right will read this kind of propaganda, and accept it because is conforms to their stilted and bizarre worldview – a world view populate by devils, demons, gods, and a morality that depends on ignorance, fear and the belief that any science that conflicts with this view is automatically to be dismissed. Read George Lakoff if you are interested in how the rightwing "thinks." And consider this: "junkscience.som does exactly what the Tom Smith is alluding to in his article. Either playing fast and loose with the facts is OK or it isn’t. You can’t have it both ways.

schizuki 10-07-2006 07:18 AM

Re: On the contary my poor misguided friend

"Remember when the biggest and baddest thing going on in Washington was some putz lying about getting a BJ?"

Remember when al-Qaeda tried to collapse the WTC in 1993 with bombs in the basement? There were "big & bad" things going on. They were being ignored.

"The negative intagibles may well cost far more in the years to come."

The negative tangibles might have been worse. And the positive tangibles might have been accomplished by now without the fashionable sedition.

"Hard to imagine a more costly lie."

Clinton, Gore, the UN, and everyone goddamn else believed the same "lie". Hard to believe the awesome power G-Dub wielded even while governor of Texas, isn't it?