Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   They're Out to Get You (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3966-theyre-out-get-you.html)

ksquid 10-07-2006 11:03 AM

A different positive approach

Just a couple questions Fred?

Did the good Dr. really say that? So far I can only find only one source that says that, MCN. Seems like there would have been more press coverage than that. A strong reaction from the AMA would be expected as well.. Also, anyone who commutes every day knows that vast majority of cars and trucks carry only one passenger. So your point discounting the favorite IIHS statistic seem weak at best to me. I actual did read the report on motorcycle accidents by the IIHS. Seemed like a pretty fair and balanced statiscal break down.

Some points now.
[*]Insurance companies are in business to make money. There wil always be insurance companies who will sell insurance to motorcyclist as long as they can make money.
[*]We as motorcyclist should do our part.to reduce costs. Wear full face helmets, protective gear, and don't drink and ride
[*]We motorcyclist should promote motorcycling as energy efficient vechicles that reduce traffic congestion, i.e. green vechicles
[*] The AMA should spend most of its resources on promoting safety, motorcycling as way to help our energy problems instead of fighting helmet laws (a waste of political capital)

seruzawa 10-07-2006 11:10 AM

Re: On the contary my poor misguided friend

Actually I remember wandering around school for a few days waiting for Kennedy and Kruschev to start WWIII. That makes today a walk in the park. A little later I remember seeing dozens of americans killed every day on TV in SE Asia and a couple years later got to see it first hand. Tens of Thousands were protesting the Vietnam War. Today it's hundereds.

Is the Iraq War and occupation a blunder? History will tell. I believe so. But it's impossible to discount the imminent danger of Islamic nutjobs with nukes. If one gets detonated in NYC or LA no excuses will be acceptable.

One thing is for sure. Appeasement won't work. That's a given.

seruzawa 10-07-2006 11:47 AM

Re: They're Out to Get You

Einstein was a patent clerk. Copernicus didn't have a college degree. Pasteur and Lister were considered cranks.

So much for the "Authorities".

Holy_Kaw 10-07-2006 02:02 PM

I was gonna be done but you got me. Terrorism has existed since "Biblical" times. Like many things it can be considered either Offensive or Defensive, Terror or Justice depending on perspective. A look at history and human nature points to it's existence as long as someone or some group feels "wronged" with no apparent viable remedy. How you gonna stop that? I maintain that under certain circumstances any Man could be pushed to it.

Our current policy is far from appeasement. In fact our actions are fueling hatred of U.S. around the World with Iraq being a "cause celeb" for recruitment into terrorist organizations. At least according to our latest intelligence estimates... In other words as more and more people hate U.S. the greater the danger of one getting detonated in NYC or LA. We are escalating our own crisis.

100,000+ innocent, dead in Iraq is crappy appeasement. Maybe just for a hoot we could try a different approach?

You want Tens of Thousands in the streets? Try to force people to fight in this stupid unwinnable war. The idea of our Troops fighting and dying for another Nations freedom while 1984 is happening here.

Peace Man.

jeffreyzone 10-07-2006 02:19 PM

Re: uhhhh.......

Everyone agrees that the earth is in a current warming trend. The data clearly shows that. But our hard data concerning weather observations go back to the 1880's. We simply don't have the data to back the hard claims being made by the politicians.

Are humans trashing the planet? Absolutely. Should we use our technology to reduce the many ways that we are trashing the planet? Absolutely.

All this end-of-the-world talk is fun to read about and discuss. But follow the money; those esteemed scientists who are promoting the shocking theories are the ones who are jockeying for the research money. They've gotta make a living, too. And yes, we need their research, but it sure would be nice for the scientists to stop trying to scare everyone with the hype.

That is what it all boils down to, and it's too bad that we can't have an intelligent discussion about our responsibilities. But in our polarized society, that is just the way it goes, and that's the way it will continue to go. We'll just keep calling each other idiots.

ksquid 10-07-2006 03:14 PM

Excellent Post oldtim too intelligent for MO

Buz Tommyboy seruweasel are total FoxNews zombies.. There is no getting threw to them.. You know the old saying [b][i]You can fool all of the some of time and some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all the people all of the time... well

Buz, longride seruzawa are in the some of the people all of the time. Most folks consider FoxNews to be a very unreliable source of news just logon to dibert.com and check out the weasel poll of 2005.

ksquid 10-07-2006 03:53 PM

Misuse of public funds, sex abuse of pages the list goes on

I guess what pisses me off is that imhofe is using the committee (taxpayer paid) website as a political mouth piece. I guess I would expect the proper use of the commitee website would be to post things like meeting agendas, minutes, reports, research not propaganda from the chairman. But this is typical of this congress. Sex abuse of underage pages. longride and his cronies just can see that ultimate power corrupts ultmately.

ksquid 10-07-2006 04:14 PM

Best Post of the week globel

Congratulations you have just have won the kpaul award of the week for best post. You succinctly and skillfully summarized the problems with the ideas and views of longride, buz and others..

Excellent work, well done.

schizuki 10-07-2006 04:53 PM

"100,000+ innocent, dead in Iraq is crappy appeasement."

Utter bullsh!t number. Pulled out of thin air. It came from the Lancet report. Read it sometime.

"1984 is happening here."

Oh, please.

Fenton 10-07-2006 06:21 PM

Re: A different positive approach

Before you draw Fred to the table, take a moment to evaluate your moto-experience. You may want to give the man his due respect.