Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #91
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default Re: They're Out to Get You

They really ARE out to get you. I had eye contact with a car driver who was waiting at a red light (it was green for me). He then started up, ran the red while still looking at me and headed straight for me. I was able to accellerate and get away from him. Another time, a guy ran a stop sign and t-boned me (a motorcycle cop who was stopped across the street saw everything). Another time, a guy started up his car and did a u-turn from his parking spot on a 4-lane street during rush hour without looking. I got stopped about a foot from his door - he also missed all the cars that packed all 4 lanes. I have more stories, but don't want to bore you except to remind you to wear armor and keep your attention level up. It can happen any time.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #92
schizuki
Founding Member

"It is unfortunate that so many on the right will read this kind of propaganda, and accept it because is conforms to their stilted and bizarre worldview – a world view populate by devils, demons, gods, and a morality that depends on ignorance, fear and the belief that any science that conflicts with this view is automatically to be dismissed. "

Well, I'm a libertarian agnostic who doesn't believe in devils, demons, gods, or....

... apocalyptic doomscreaming, whether it comes from religious nuts, or credulous leftists who think mankind is evil and will be punished for his profligate ways.

What part of "we've heard this all before" do you not understand? And I'll say it again - if you believe this crap, stop riding your motorcycle, you planet-killing hypocrite.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #93
schizuki
Founding Member

Buz, I've seen that Crichton speech, and it's excellent. But the stardard envirotard response to it is, "Big deal, Michael Crichton is not a scientist."

You see, if you think global warming is a religion, and you're not a scientist, you are dismissed.

If you believe global warming is a threat to our very survival, and you're a failed divinity student, you get to make a movie about it that people take seriously. And they talk about you running for President.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #94
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: On the contary my poor misguided friend

We could go back and forth on this and probably will. We have a different take on some current events (although similiar views in most M/C things), this happens between Gentlemen. There is a book called "The Medusa files" written by a former Vietnam Marine sniper/26 year OKC PD SWAT team member/investigative journalist, it's hard to discuss "things" without referencing knowledge gained from this book. You are on that big list of regular posters that I would enjoy a ride, drink and BS session with sometime. For now, on "current affairs" I will agree to disagree.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #95
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default climate

People can believe anything they want, no matter how foolish it might be. I will take "www.junkscience.com" any day over Bill Clinton, Michael Moore, George Soros and Bobby Kennedy, Jr. You can believe they are scientists if they want to. Larry Elder says "Facts to a Democrat is like Kryptonite is to Superman". Why are we talking about this? I would rather be at Bonneville.

It is unfortunate that so many on the LEFT will read this kind of propaganda, and accept it because is conforms to their stilted and bizarre worldview – a world view populate by devils, demons, gods, and a morality that depends on ignorance, fear and the belief that any science that conflicts with this view is automatically to be dismissed.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #96
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: uhhhh.......

Politically motivated "scientists" can't be trusted, no.

Scientists believed that the universe consisted of only the Milky Way 100 years ago. In the 50s I was taught that very few stars could have planets. There was absolutely no reason to believe that, but the "scientists" who wrote the text books said so. Now we see the Hubble and other devices finding planets in a lot of places.

In science one finds basic truths by observation and experimentation. Poor scientists think up a theory and then only accept data that fits their preconceived notion while ignoring data that refute it.

This is why most of the global warming stuff we read in the papers and see on TV is hypothetical and often simply false. Reporters are in general too stupid to know a telescope from a Puma sneaker and so they simply repeat whatever they are told by the "expert" they like. They have no ability to judge (and are usually too stoned).

The earth does appear to be warming. It was warmer than this a thousand years ago and survived.

So what do we do about it? Encourage reasearch. There are many ways to do this.

What we don't do is give even more centralized control of the economy to the people who have proven time and time again their incompetence at governing and their insatiable greed for more and more money and power.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #97
seruzawa
The Toad

Good point. There shouldn't be any apocalyptic environmentalists on this site. They should all be on bicycles.

Truly dedicated believers in the idea that the Earth is overpopulated should commit suicide as well. Immediately. Like, right now.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #98
seruzawa
The Toad

You're not riding a Harley so the Dentist Rule is inoperative.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #99
gblobel
Registered Member

Default Re: uhhhh.......

I am completely with you on encouraging research. I also think that there comes a point at which one has to accept the results even if they are unpopular. Enough independent research has been done in various countries by many diverse organizations that the results are getting pretty strong. And no, the answer is not to go back to the stone age as schizuki thinks. Technology is available today to do something about it. There is no single solution but many approaches might each contribute to delay or stop the process. For example, more two-wheeled commuting would reduce oil consumption (are you listening schizo?).

If we assume the worst and the science turns out to be wrong what have we really lost... saved some fuel? If the science is right and we ignore it we might face more serious consequences.

gblobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #100
snowcrash
Founding Member

From Ebay I got one of those 3 wheel atvs from the 1980s. They are seriously dangerous having unreliable stablilty and even more prone to roll than a quad.

They still have road legal "type" approval in the UK though, so per mile this makes me dead already or something.

snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote