Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #31
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: HEY GABE!

You know, this isn't the most-lopsided comparo in history.

Back in 1964, Car and Driver did a comparo of the Pontiac GTO versus the Ferrari GTO.

Stop laughing. It created enough of a stir among car enthusiasts that it put Car and Driver on the map (Euro-purists were outraged; guys with cig packs rolled up in the sleeves of their T-shirts were confused; but everybody paid attention).
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #32
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Maintenance Cost?

If the Sportster has hydraulic valves and a belt final drive, what on Earth is needed for maintenance that has it costing so much? It's a dry sump engine with a spin-on oil filter so oil changes can't be too tough. There are either a ton of "inspections" required or the dealer you spoke to was tacking on a bunch of unecessary repairs to make money.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #33
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Does anyone really buy these things for performance???

Thanks for finding the words I seemed to be missing....

What I was trying to say is people buy Harleys and retro-styled Triumphs for emotional reasons, not performance reasons. It wouldn't make sense to buy for them for performance when there are MUCH higher performance bikes on the market for about the same price.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #34
sidlev
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Triumph Scrambler v. 2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200R

I used to work as a mechanic at a Honda dealer. When the Goldwing came out with hydraulic lifters, we were all wondering how much the tune up cost would decrease as the single most difficult and time consuming task had been eliminated. Imagine our happy surprise when the cost of a tune up went up for a bike with non-adjustable valves. The service manager made up some good sounding story to tell the customers, but no Goldwing ever had the valve covers pulled during a tune up. I guess Harley can get away with it, so they do. They will always be Hardly Ablesons to me. I had a Sporty back in 81. Got tired of pushing it and sold it.
sidlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #35
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Buz's point, KP, if I may be so bold to presume upon his mind, is that the 883 is still geared shorter than the 1200; always has been. so that if you put '07 1200 jugs on an otherwise stock '07 883, you'll be quicker than a bone-stock '07 1200, due to the shorter tranny gearing.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #36
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Does anyone really buy these things for performance???

...well, at least I won't have to explain it.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #37
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

fluids and filters, Baby!

remember that being purely air-cooled (that is, no oil cooler) is harder on the engine oil. Remember also that Harleys have a separate tranny. So instead of the old 3k oil changes, they say 2,500.

To be fair, my understanding is that the Factory has gone to 5k engine oil changes, but most dealers still recommend 2,500 changes (some say it's for the money, some say it's so that when you go with 5k, they can try to not honor your warranty work...most agree it has something to do with less-than-straighforward dealers).

Old 09-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #38
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Still, that's a lot of fluid and filters.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #39
xlr8r
Founding Member

Great review, and great pictures, too. I loved Gabe's comment that the Triumph feels like a 1970's Beemer, because when I took a new Bonneville T100 for a test ride at a dealer's a couple of months ago I thought to myself 'This is almost exactly like an old R80 BMW I used to have!' My problem with the T100 and its variants is that although they are light, flickable, comfortable, cute-looking etc etc, they are also very bland; you can hardly tell that the engine's actually running. There's no mid-range bump when the torque peaks, or a top-end rush when it comes on the cam, or anything. Couldn't Triumph have put a bit of growl in there somewhere? My old Sportster may not be the fastest thing on the block - and certainly not the lightest - but at least the motor lets you know it's there. BTW, oil changes on the Sportster are the easiest thing I've ever met in 30+ years of riding. They take twenty minutes. Two oil changes a year and a set of new plugs and that's all the maintenance it really needs...total time, under an hour.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #40
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Maintenance Cost?

stealer has to make money somehow...

the service interval is 5k miles...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote