Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #101
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Triumph Scrambler v. 2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200R

To be fair, the 100 mile fill-ups were for the Sporty in the days that they came with a 2 gallon tank. This one is 3.2 gallons and these get about 50 mpg on the freeway, so one should be able to go a bit further. Of course, on the old Sportsters the 90 mile range was a blessing in disguise. Between the seat and the engine vibration it's about as far as you could go withought stopping anyway.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2006, 01:32 AM   #102
eekadog
Founding Member

nrhsperformance.com
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:07 AM   #103
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Does anyone really buy these things for performance???

"You tend to ride a bike in the RPM range ~the bike~ is comfortable in"

Correction. I purchase motorcycles that suite my riding style. I normally ride back roads and ride at normally ride at 40 to 50mph. My bikes are ‘comfortable’ at those speeds, but at those speeds I am comfortable also. I can relax, keep myself safe and can take in the surroundings. Anything faster and the wind blast becomes annoying and warrants too much attention to enjoy my surroundings.

Give me a crotch rocket and IÂ’ll drive my car Â…

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:17 AM   #104
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My real world experience wouldn't be good. No matter how good I launch, I'm still 260 to 270 lbs geared up. I won't have a chance at getting close to the bikes potential. I may go to the strip someday, but the numbers will never be good.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #105
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I hope you weren't stupid enough to buy it for horsepower. Go buy a Busa as a second bike and leave the thing alone. Harleys are for cruzin.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:40 AM   #106
anrajala
Founding Member

I didn´t buy a hog to race but 61 hp on the rear wheel is not enough. On full acceleration first gear is ok but already second is longish and the third is long as a starvation year. It makes me feel like flossing my teeth. My Royal Star was not any better in the power department so I am not toting here the the usual japanese-american pissing contest. But the genre of performance cruisers already exists so why not go there?

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #107
anrajala
Founding Member

I am not pissed off, I am just wondering what kind of taste in women would a person like with this kind of music taste (would she have a hair like an electrocuted mop?) But if these guys are your friends, I knew it would make sense at the end.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #108
Whatmough
Founding Member

I did a 350+ mile day on my Sporty once and lived to tell. Not too bright; but I had a day to leaf-peep and took it. A plastic shield is a good idea with them too.

good point about wanting to stop.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #109
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Maintenance Cost?

Even on the old Sporties the valve check/adjustments took about 15 minutes. All the quality problems of the AMF Sporties aside the routine maintenance was a cinch. How can anyone stretch it out to 3 hours of shop time?

PT Barnum was right.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #110
chucker6
Registered Member

Triumph seems to have figured out part of the H-D economic advantage with the looks and cosmetic accessories, I don't understand why they don't have a Triumph version of Screaming Eagle parts, even Ducati and Yamaha do. PJ's in Albuquerque can put together an 80hp /60ft.lbs. (rear wheel) Bonnie for about $2,500-$3,000 (bigger bore and higher compression pistons) plus the bike and then you've got a nice Monster parallel and it would absolutely stomp on a XL1200. I'm still tempted, except my Speed Triple spec Thunderbird Sport is too nice to sell to do that.
chucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote