Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #21
Cathar
Founding Member

Default Re: Best of Both Worlds

In the image posted, it looked like the track had a ~3.5° positive camber, and the bike was leaned ~53.5°, making for a ~50° lean angle of the bike relative to the track camber.

That's pretty good going.

Was a little confused about the 55° MotoGP lean angle comment though. Watching people like Capirossi at full lean, and that's gotta be way more than 55°. Looking around on the web even now and anything between 60-63° gets bandied about. In fact, the only reference to sub-60° lean angles seems to come from Michelin marketing material. Go figure.

Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
Cathar
Founding Member

Okay, pictorial proof. You're going to have to try pretty hard to convince me that this isn't more than 55° of lean angle:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/motorcycler...06_1807_AN.htm
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Tyres? Toroidial and Black, Right? Or Toroidial and grey/yellow/blue/red/green/funkarific-coloured if a Tomahawk whacko-tyre.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #24
DC_Dave
Founding Member

Default Michelin Macadams Are Gibberish to Me

I had some late 1990s Michelin Macadams on my bike, and they were some of the worst (and most expensive) tires I ever had the displeasure of bending into a corner. I think I even lost the front once, when I was off the brakes and on the gas. Strangest thing ever.

I mistakenly assumed, back then, that Doohan dominence translated to the street.

I don't know what was wrong those Michelins, but they nearly lowsided a few times.

From what I've read, since the Pilot was introduced, Michelin is back with good product-- and I'm sure they are. 51.8deg and all that.

But honestly, I don't think I'm ever going to take a chance with Michelin again.

Fool me once...
Old 09-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Mystery slide

the 209gp works way better in the corners than the power race. michelin had a reputation of letting go with no warning. then the rumor was that the new ones didn't do that. two mystery lowsides in two weekends had me back at the dunlop vendor for some kung fu grip.

and anybody who thinks a street tire works ok as a race tire is going slow. notice i didn't say too slow. just slow. street tires grease up. i don't know about these new ones. maybe they will be different. i doubt it.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
ewok1
Founding Member

it must have been way in the past. every manufacturer makes a good sport tire which will move a decent rider very swiflty. a pilot power running 28/28 in the summer at a track day running at a reasonable race pace will last six maybe seven laps before it greases up and drops your times by at least a second to a few seconds a lap. even on a lightweight bike. michelins don't suck, i just don't know why people actually believe the brand matters on the street or on a street riders track day excursion. simply put. it don't.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:44 AM   #27
slo1
Founding Member

When the Miller track first opened this spring alot of riders were shredding Powers, and others, due to the new surface. Freddie Spencer came out and informed us that Powers were designed to work best at higher PSI, and said he runs his school bikes on PP's at 36/37. Voila, all is good with wear and stick.

slo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #28
Z3n
Founding Member

Default Re: Mystery slide

That's interesting...i've had the Pilot Powers break lose in the corners before, and they start an easy slip/hop routine before they really lose it...difference in riding style perhaps?
Z3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #29
alpies
Registered Member

jeeez. another french joke...please show SOME originality.
alpies is offline   Reply With Quote