Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
manalagi001
Registered Member

Default Re: Best of Both Worlds

The quick turn-in of the Michelin Pilot series is awesome for the Monster. I loved those tires on my Monster when I had it. The whole bike felt lighter, quicker, smaller, nimbler.

I guess every bike is different. On my Triumph 600 I prefer a rounder profile and more stability like that found on Bridgestone's BT014.

Life is short. Sample different tires. Live a little. It's like suspension, or gearing. You'll never know the difference unless you try some different things. Have fun!
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2006, 01:18 PM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Sssshhhhh

That's the secret silica formula
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Z3n
Founding Member

I find that interesting as I ride a Kawi ZX-6E and the Pilot Power's are pretty much god's gift to mankind on that bike. It's slow to turn in and change line mid turn (ie, for a decreasing radius turn or some such manouver), and the Pilot Powers are much lighter and more responsive than the 208's i used to run. I'd be curious to try out the Qualifier's, but I'm not exactly excited to step away from an excellent tire to one made by a company that made the absolute ***** that is a 208. I didn't run the GP's, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i was not impressed with the 208's in the slightest. They felt very planted when warmed up, but my bike is my only means of transportation, and the warm up time was excessive at best.

I also run my pilot's at a much lower PSI, 32/34 or so, 30/32 on the track.

The E is about 500 pounds, and I'm about 180, closer to 200 with all my gear, so i'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Maybe it's just a difference with the profile against the geometry of your Cyclone...i've heard that the buells have wonky geometry. I've found that the bike is incredibly sensative mid turn, and when i first got them I was much too hard on the bars. I needed to relax and trust the tires to hold the line through the turn because if i tried to force them or direct the line or hold on to the bars with any real force they would respond strongly to even the lightest steering input.

Now that i'm used to them (i've run through 2 sets), I can't imagine going back to a tire that forces me to muscle it into the turns the way the 208's did.

(How's that for a first post)
Z3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
priday
Founding Member

Does the Cyclone have adj front forks??

I have found my XB to be extraordinarily sensitive to compression adj... like 1/8 to 1/4 turn from squishy to ouch.

rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
KyleTheZombieKiller
Founding Member

You'll find they allow certain markets to pronounce Michelin incorrectly. I guess the UK and US are special.

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/fr...ue=110&lang=EN

Most of these videos use the Mishelyn pronunciation, which is the correct one AFAIK.
KyleTheZombieKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 AM   #16
staff
Registered Member

The "mitch-a-lin" I was hearing was coming directly out of the mouths of all the Michelin peeps, as well as from a number of videos played for us. At least one of the Michelin persons in attendance was a Frenchie.

Vaille que vaille--Pete
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:58 AM   #17
staff
Registered Member

See above reply to the first post.--Pete
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #18
bk6a
Founding Member

bugger the french

if we cared what the frogs thought we'd all be speaking german anyway, and sportec is pronounced sport-tech.
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #19
jibosch
Registered Member

Yes, the cyclone has one adjustment for compression, I believe. I don't think the problem is with the suspension, I think the tire just has a really-stiff sidewall!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
saddlebag
Registered Member

Apparently you haven't heard the Tire Discounters commercial.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote