Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Big, Naked and Beautiful: Angelfood McDevilish

Well....

The big japanese bikes look and like run big japanese bikes. Wow, never would have guessed...

The Buell looks and handles like nothing else on Earth. And sounds like a Harley.

What can you call it? Buellatude? Buellisness? Buellaticity?

Buell baby, Buell. In 20 years when my Buell is converted to run on soilent green I'll hook a big wheelie by Johnson & Wood Cycle Salvage where all the big old Jap bikes reside.

After all, it is a Harley. And worth something more than money.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default I'll take the SX

The CityX is the Buell for me. I sincerely believe the long wheelbase version slows the steering down and kills the fun of the original XB series.

On the other hand, the Ulysses uses the same basic wheelbase as the Lightning Long, but the Uly's taller seat and wide bars make it much more comfortable and fun to ride.

So it is decided then: CityX for play and Ulysses for comfort and utility.

Have any other moto mysteries that need solving?

-Sean
Old 08-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Templewood
Founding Member

Default Re: Big, Naked and Beautiful: Open-Class Standards 2006

A naked standard test without a Ducati Monster is like a v-twin cruiser test without a Harley. I mean let's face it, the Monster is the definitive naked bike along with the Triumph and the MV Agusta (the KTM is cool too). The rest of these bikes are bland and will be forgotten completely down the road. I'm shopping for a standard right now and none of the bikes in your test are on my list. It's all subjective I suppose though isn't is...
Templewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
Fenton
Founding Member

Let's not hang the "bland" tag on the Tuono. I think Tuono, S3, Monster, 950SM, K1200R and FZ-1 would have a different result
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

I don't know that I'd call the new FZ1 bland either.

I'd like to see the Monster S4RS, the FZ1, the S3, and the Buell in a comparison.

The Honda and Kawasaki seem far too forgettable for me.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Ask the man who owns one...

Yeah, you got it. Hows working at Kawasaki? Say hello to Ruth in import for me...
Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #17
jandj_davis
Founding Member

I know you all hate posting real world data instead of that touchy-feely "what I would buy" subjective garbage, but those do factor into real world decision making. So, how about maintenance intervals and mpg numbers?

Also, and this is a little more subjective, how about an aftermarket parts comparison? The buell aftermarket is still getting started, I haven't ever seem much more than exhausts for the Kaw. The FZ1 is all new, byut yamaha is great with upgrade parts. The honda has been around for long enough for there to be a great aftermarket for it, but is there much else besides exhausts and wind-screens?
jandj_davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #18
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default I concur...

I am a short little rat, and wanted a fun sport/city/hooligan bike very badly. One ride on the 12cg and I had the checkbook on the table. That was 2 years ago. Regrets: none.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default Oh yeah, about the trans;

That was a pretty funny crack about the Swedes, granted, but lest y'all think that the Buell trannie is afflicted with false neutrals; no. There is only one neutral, and its right where its supposed to be. The upshift from 1st to 2nd is more of a 2-notch affair than a "snick", but aside from that shifting is perfectly acceptable.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #20
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Buell Info

I have a 2004 XB12S Buell with 23,000 miles on it and have gotten the following.

Worst mileage 42 MPG

Average mileage 51.5 MPG

Best ever mileage 59.9 MPG

5,000 mile maintenance interval but I change my oil ever 2,500
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote