Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
stlarson
Registered Member

Default Re: Rocket Touring Gear Roundup

I've had some Shure e2c's for a little over a year. I bought them for use on the bus [0] and in the office and providing you're not a hardcore audiophile, they sound just as good if not better than a big set of heavy cans. The fact they work under a full face helmet is a big bonus. Getting them seated properly can take a minute or so but they're probably not going anywhere at that point unless you do a faceplant. With them in you get zero wind and very little engine noise. As a side effect, the lack of auditory input forces me to gain a much better feel of what is going on with the bike and traffic.

They're surprisingly loud, and when used under a helmet you'll want the volume turned down to a much lower level than you may first anticipate to be acceptable. At a proper volume all the aforementioned droning is gone but sirens should still be audible.

[0] The LA bus system is awesome [1]

[1] Sarcasm in full effect
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
Zakman
Founding Member

Easily the most useful item pictured among all of these is the one that isn't black. Why the public continues to purchase products that turn themselves into a solar collectors is beyond me. After all what could be better for almost any electronic item thatn putting inside of an oven. What could make your summertime trip better than a color that aquires heat. As long as we buy clothing, luggage, etcetera that is black and wonder why it's so friggin hot out there we will be supplied with black motorcycle products.

Zak
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
DaveFla
Founding Member

Maybe we'd rather be hot than look dirty? Of course, that argument fails when your black gear meets dust...

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've got the inner ear type plugs from Etymotic Research. I haven't tried to fit them under my helmet. I use them primarily when flying because they do a great job at blocking out the jet noise.

Believe it or not H-D offers a radar detector and mount system for the Geezer Glide. I didn't know Harleys could break the speed limit!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

You danged ECOC Bush lovers ain't rippin' me off for those detectors no mo'! We got laser guns bein' used by the UHP now. No point in mounting a laser detector.

These guys claim to do independent testing of various products. They charge for the articles, though. Apparently unless you can mount a laser jammer you are wasting your time and money.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The notable thing about radartest.com is that they never include the Valentine One because they don't sell it. That fact alone strains the credibility of their "testing."

Car and Driver magazine does a comprehensive test each year and for added credibility, they buy each detector off the shelf so no one can supply a "juiced" detector.

The Valentine One wins by a landslide every year with the Passport coming in second.

CHP uses laser too. I guess in Utah you'll need a rabbit in front of you so they get nailed first.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Usually there's enough bear bait around to ease my daily passage.

There does appear to be a dearth of independent testing data on various detectors. Naturally every manufacturer has all sorts of data to "prove" how great their product works.... just like the Slick50 people!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:18 AM   #8
Fenton
Founding Member

FWIW, I've had a few types of bags and find the RKA stuff to be really well made and a better fit than many brands. I'm not a big fan of magnetic tank bags and take comfort in the 3-point fastening system on the RKA super-sport expandable bag. www.rka-luggage.com

The customer service from Aerostich is great and the quality and function of their products is hard to beat. It is difficult to look through the catalog and not spend twice as much as you intended.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #9
jasonlion54
Founding Member

I'd say the best ticket avoidance system is the lack of a rear plate on that ZX-14. Naughty, naughty! But who the hell is gonna catch up to you on that?
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

I think radar detectors are a waste of money myself, The last ticket I got was from a WSP in an airplane. Usually my cheerfull disposition and obsequeous fawning get me out of tickets anyway, if you're sportin' a detector every cop in the world will give you a ticket because they figure you're a chronic speeder.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote