Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #31
BillyO
Registered Member

Default Re: Rocket Touring Gear Roundup

All that added junk to go for a short 1000-2000 mile jaunt. Buy a left over 06 Road Glide instead. Save on tickets, save your bum, and have wrists that still work.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #32
rapier
Founding Member

That's the ticket. Get's rid of the saddlebags totally for bikes with the pipes just too high.

I have a ZZR 1200 and the pipes are low enough I can use my Ortliebs. I went sans them last year with a big gearbag like that last year but went with a smaller seatbag this year and the Ortliebs.

Here is my day to day setup. I screwed up my last post and thought I had linked to it before. (I think you can get to it without site registration)

http://www.zzrbikes.com/modules.php?...ew_photo. php

(Scroll thru the next two pics. The thing is removeable in seconds and good to 130)

(If it doesn't show this time it's because of a formatting issue as the URL is gigantic)

That is a High Sierra wheeled backpak. 22" high. About the limit.

A rack is really the key to packing lots of stuff. I've added support to the Ventura with a tiedown strap around the uprights to the grabrails so it easily holds my Ortlieb large dry bag with sleeping bag, thermarest and clothing, and a Helen Wheels bag with a tent.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #33
Airfiddler
Founding Member

I think I'd rather have the luggage, if you don't mind.
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:59 AM   #34
maladg
Registered Member

I'm busy trying to backyard engineer how to get my beloved Stax Electrostat Cans - complete with tube amp - into my Arai XD. "FutureRetroMan"!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 AM   #35
epinkert
Founding Member

Radartest.com is notoriously non-impartial. The gentleman who runs radartest.com is a former engineer for BEL, and has a longstanding personal grudge with Mike Valentine, and his reviews of Valentine's products (e.g., the V1) tend to reflect this. He's anything but impartial. You can find out more about the history of this grudge on the Valentine website. His tests also appear in Automobile magazine.

The best and most impartial tests that I've seen are from these guys (guysoflidar.com).

Personally, I've owned a half dozen radar detectors and used quite a few more over the last 14 years. IMO, nothing matches the V1's usability and functionality. Not even close.

-Ethan P
epinkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 AM   #36
epinkert
Founding Member

Lol..I love my detector and use it wherever practical/legal.

Just because they don't provide immunity from tickets doesn't make them a waste of money. Detectors are no substitute for using your eyes and ears -- looking for crossovers with sppedtraps, phantom brakelights on the horizon, etc. I guess that it's like any other part of riding/driving. The technology can help, but it can never replace the rider's/driver's senses, skill, and intuition. Relying on a detector alone for protection is a dumb thing to do. (As always, driving/riding at the right speed for the conditions really helps.)

Regarding your every-cop-in-the-world statement, maybe you're overstating it a little. I've been pulled over for speeding with a detector and issued a warning. I used to tear it down and put it under the seat when I thought I was gonna get stopped in my car, but I'd rather leave it up on the windshield than have a cop think I'm stashing a gun (or something else). In any case, I tend to get pulled over less when I use a radar detector and have never been nailed with a stationary speed trap during daylight hours while using a detector. Rolling speed traps on the other hand, is a different story.
epinkert is offline   Reply With Quote