Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Rocket Touring Gear Roundup

Wonder how that bag would look in the milk crate bunjeed on the back of the CL?

Indispensable item: New pack of Zig Zags.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

i've been using the e2c's for just over a year now, and agree completely. money very well spent.
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
mathewp
Founding Member

Default Earplugs

I'm a pro sound mixer and I've tried most of the ear buds out there and for the money the Etymotic Research Er6i are the best. They fit well have a very natural sound with just a bit of enhanced bass and they're really isolating, too. And you can get it in black. They're $90.00 at Amazon. But I liked the Shure tips that happen to fit on the Er's. The medium sized Shures fit most. Foam tips do isolate the most though.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...ft_flex_sleeve
mathewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #24
rapier
Founding Member

|Soft luggage is great, as long as you don't look at it. I have a world class collection of it so I consider myself an expert.

I've got the Ortlieb bags. Ugly and will rub the paint off anything they rub against. You need some of the clear vinyl sheets to protect your paint.

That Monster set up looks dangerous. A backrest is necessary for any load that high. In fact that is just too high anyway. If your going to pack that much then a rack of some sort is almost mandatory. A backrest/rack is best thing. Ventura makes a wide variety of them and they can be partially removed when not needed.

One alternate solution is a medium to giant wheeled backpack or gear bag. The are rigid underneath so lashing them down is pretty easy. Getting into them while on the bike then ecomes a issue sometimes depending how it is strapped down . For lashing nothing beats good old fashioned Ancra tie downs.

About as almost non ugly as soft stuff can get if I do say so. That's a wheeled 'backpack'. Larger ones can be layed back down on the seat. They cannot be made safe unless they are held in place with straps over the top of them, proably criss crossed.

Soft saddle bags are great for easy day access and keeping the weight low but are always ugly, can shift and melt. Mount them as high as possible so dont strap them under the seat.

I am ashamed to show the pics of my multi week camp/tour setups. Why I hate hard bags and tail boxes I don't know, but I do. |
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #25
ksquid
Banned

I have the same model of detector but I use an ear pad in the helmet. Haven't got a ticket since I bouth it... Go over to the left hand side of MO and click on Radar Busters. Best money I every spent cause kpaul rides fast...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #26
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Soft Bag Problems?

Problems with soft luggage? Is this the part where I cut and paste my rant about Givi hard bags?

I had a pair of tourmaster cortech bags with the burn resistant patch on bottom. The bag shifted just wrong one time and I managed to partially burn through the side of the bag.

Then somebody stole my soft bags off the bike, along with everything in them. Givi's are the answer.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:58 AM   #27
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Hurray! Gear Review!

My wife has learned to confiscate the Rider Wearhouse catalog and only tell me it has arrived on the weekend, lest I stay up all night on a weeknight reading it under the covers with a flashlight until 4 am, like a 10 year old with a new comic book.

Best part of this story is the lead on PacSafe products. Forget the tailpack, PacSafe makes a tank bag! Finally, I won't be forced to carry my tankbag away from my bike every time I stop. (On multi-day multi-state camping trips, not even the mighty Givi's can carry everything.)

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.ph...n=detail&id=28

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index...product&id=864

On the Ortlieb stuff: I have their tank bag, a backpack, and a roll-top duffel bag. Obviously I like the stuff. Except for the security issue the tank bag is great. Totally bombproof, strong magnets, no fluttering, right size and shape for my VFR. It is with some sadness that I'll replace it with the PacSafe tank bag. I use the duffel strapped across the pillion perch to carry all the food for everyone on our multi-day tours. Do you have to ask why?

Thanks for posting this story. Most of us purchase gear much more often that bikes.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 AM   #28
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Airvantage Vest

www.basspro.com has their version of the airvantage vest on sale for $50. It is really overkill when layered on top of my Widder vest, a combo which costs less than the aerostich version. It is useful for light travel because it deflates and packs down to nothing.

BTW, the reason this vest is such a big deal is the goretex membrane liner allows moisture from you breath to escape the vest instead of staying around and providing a home for all kinds of funky fungus. Gore were not the first to have this idea, just the first to find a way to make it work. This is why you should not use your breath to inflate a sleeping pad.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
bk6a
Founding Member

Gabe,

While it is no doubt true that some of my badged brothers can be asses, we're mostly not trying to protect you from yourself. we're really trying to protect everyone from kpaul.
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"One alternate solution is a medium to giant wheeled backpack or gear bag. The are rigid underneath so lashing them down is pretty easy."

You mean something like this?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...7700_ec54e.jpg

Worked like a champ. Bought that backpack for $10, just *KNEW* I'd find a use for it. Made it from SW MO to NW GA and back last Sep. - absolutely zero problems. (well, it *did* scuff the grabrails a tiny bit - gonna have to address that next time)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote