Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #31
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000 Sneak Preview

"You got that right - the pipes are a cheap attempt to copy the look of the GSXR 1000 units."

Aside from the fact that there are twice as many mufflers on the Z1000 as the GSX-R 1000, and overlooking the fact that they appear on both sides of the Z1000, and they are made out of different material, and they are a totally different shape, and that they are a totally different color, I guess you could call them copies of the GSX-R 1000 muffler. (right up until you saw a photo of the two bikes)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #32
stlarson
Registered Member

I think it looks great except for those absurd pipes. They look like someone had a spare tuba and suddenly had the brilliant idea of grafting them onto the exhaust. They should knock $1k off the price just for your embarassment of being seen with those things.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #33
Tigercub
Founding Member

Trombone or french horm, but not tuba.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:30 AM   #34
SmokeU
Registered Member

That or Go-Bots. Ick.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #35
Tigercub
Founding Member

Styling is a little over done, but I see where they were trying to go with it.

"However, the Japanese factories coax their superbikes into the car with a promise of going to the park to chase the pigeons, only to take them to the veternarians for a neutering. Just like your black lab, they're still fun after that, but they've lost their edge. "

As a dog owner I must take exception to your use of the above analogy. The bike may be the dog's bollocks, but the dog owner knows what's best for the dog!!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #36
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Cycle World has a current ZX-10R hooligan project with the clip-ons swapped for regular handlebars and all superflous bodywork removed. Its ZX-10R engine is stock, aside from the mufflers and a power comander (still tuned for peak power).

The #1 problem (benefit) with their 390 lb. hooligan is the fact that the stock rear tire now has almost twice as many miles on it as the stock front tire. It is explosively quick in the real world and would be almost unridable, if it had any more torque. (a bone-stock ZX-10R makes 166RWHP and 82LbFt)

That motor (stock ZX-10R) would do just fine in an FZ-1 or Z-Rex chassis and I seriously doubt its riders would be complaining about torque. A far better way to achieve more "grunt" would be to leave the engine identical to it's ZX-10R application and just use shorter aftermarket gearing (since stock gearing is very tall). That way people who want the superbike power don't have to sacrifice for guys who just want more (LOL) roll-on acceleration.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #37
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Regardless of their number or material these rank amongst the ugliest mufflers on any motorcycle. I thought that Kawasaki had reached the nadir of design with that ugly four pipe version, but they somehow figured out a way to make the old versions pipes to start looking better!
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #38
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

They look like funeral urns.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

besides...blowing smoke out our arse is why we come to this site.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Maybe the manufacturers just don't want to kill off their customers too quickly.