Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Piaggo MP3 Model Introduction

that's just super...i wonder if they'll have a racing series.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
FrankS1
Founding Member

I guess I am showing my age - while I would sure like to try one out, it looks strange, and I am not sure I'd want to buy one. Of course Schvetz is such a fine writer that he can make anything sound good. If his assessment is correct, Piaggio should sell them as fast as they can turn them out.

Now we need to have a comparo between the Piaggio and a traditional 3 wheeler. Surely the MO petty cash account could come up with the scratch to get, say, a Morgan 3 wheel with a JAP engine mounted out in the air stream. (OH, are you going to tell me that $50 might be all right, but not the $50,000 that a restored Morgan/JAP would cost..)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
obandoj
Founding Member

Great job Yossef, this is one very interesting machine, as the italian version of the video on the Piaggio website states, this thing is capable of turning at 40 degrees of lean! And the way it does the slalom in the wet as well as doing stopies also in the wet makes it a very promising piece of technological prowess by the italians. It might as well, as you said, be the way to a very capable sport bike, and since they own Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, I would not be surprised if we see something like that in the future. Again, great piece.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

This thing is Fantastic! I can't wait to lowside one!

When will they come to a Dealer near me?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Vlad
Registered Member

This thing looks fantastic. I want to try out the 500cc vertsiion as soon as it is on the market. As an experienced sidehack rider, I find the three wheel concept adds a great deal to the "security" of the ride. But I don't particularly like the inherent imbalance of forces. Piaggio has done a great job of engineering here, the characteristics of a motorcycle and the stabillity of a sidehack in one machine. If it works as good as Yossef says, I think Piaggio could have a hit on their hands. Too bad an American manufacturer could not be as innovative.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
ksquid
Banned

Default Quick death for three wheeler

File this one under "Because we could build it we did".. I predict that this will die a quick death in the market like that Corbin V-Twin 3 wheeler...3 wheeler is like a hybrid bike (mountain crossed with a road bike) you get the worst of each world not the best.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Oh, that is just bloody effing brilliant! I predict massive popularity, from both the motorcycling and non-motorcycling sides of the fence. And this innovative bit of engineering has been brought from concept to concrete not by the Japanese, but the Italians. Innnnteresting...

Can't wait to see the 500. That should be a hoot!
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default Re: Quick death for three wheeler

Yo KP... did you ever buy that Buell? Fun bike, isn't it?
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Quick death for three wheeler

Not yet...I go by the HD-Buell dealer every other day to lust .... Wife doesn't know I have the bonus.

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 AM   #10
nweaver
Founding Member

Default STRONGLY disagree...

3 wheelers which don't lean (eg corbin -> Disaster)

3 wheelers that lean like this don't have the center of gravity problem. This one in particular looks very VERY interesting: 2x the front-end grip of a motorcycle, but motorcycle steering dynamics, and the "its not two wheels, I feel more stable" is a big deal for a lot of the untapped market.

Combined with ~50mpg for a 500cc version and you'll sell it like hotcakes: all the mileage of that Prius, but 1/3rd the price.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote