Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Aprilia SXV and RXV New Model Introduction (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3795-aprilia-sxv-rxv-new-model-introduction.html)

Dangerousdave_2 08-01-2006 07:20 PM

Re: It's the orange paint.

If you remember the 60's or 70's, you weren't there.

Nem 08-01-2006 08:27 PM

1st hand info

Burgbilly1 08-02-2006 02:50 AM

Re: Aprilia SXV and RXV New Model Introduction

I have been reading about these bikes for the past year or more and was lusting after them after seeing them at the motorcycle show in Minneapolis. I've read in a couple of different places that they require rebuild after 50-60 hours. When they bring the street version over I'd be highly interested in it except for this fact. It's not that I can't do a rebuild, it's just that I am a lazy and inept mechanic and would prefer to ride my bike instead messing around with it in the garage. I also agree with Johnny B that Supermoto type bikes are quickly becoming an option for those of us on sportbikes. I am getting tired of being associated with the 16-20 year old crowd around here with their backwards baseball hats, Gixxers, and fat-assed girlfriends trolling around town. The same goes for those idiots riding quads around on the street. Dude learn to balance.

yoavy11 08-02-2006 03:01 AM

"Will it need frequent top end rebuilds like some of the current 4stroke MXers?"

I'm afraid so, reports from Europe talk about very high maintenance costs. Not your daily commuter than.

I'd love to see this engine in a different chassis though, RS250's maybe? thatll be a hell of a track bike.

iamz 08-02-2006 04:22 AM

Engine life would be my concern also if they seriously think these could be street bikes. Let's see, at 50 hours,......I would need to do a top-end rebuild every 5 weeks. So not only would I have to pay a ridiculous price of around $8500, but I would have to spend another $1000 or so every 5 to 6 weeks just to keep it on the road.

How practical.

bbtowns 08-02-2006 05:18 AM

If it was a dual sport I'd be half way through the deposit check now. This is will be interesting competition for KTM's new lightweight bikes coming out soon.

Does replaceable cylinder liners mean often needing replacement?

obandoj 08-02-2006 08:01 AM

Uhm.. Ducati, Aprilia, Ducati, Aprilia. They are both beautiful in a different kind of way, and a sure way to be different from the squid crowd. It would probably have to be the Ducati, that 1000 DS motor is a gem, and will be much more reliable than that of the Aprilia. I read somewhere that the Aprilia needs frequent top end jobs and I don't like to work on my own bikes except for routine maintenance, I do not pay myself that much :)

SmokeU 08-02-2006 08:20 AM

They'd be perfectly street legal in South Dakota....too bad I don't live there anymore.

umarth 08-02-2006 09:15 AM

I wouldn't say that....

staff 08-02-2006 12:11 PM

Top End Jobs

I've been reading a few postings about Aprilia's maintenance requirements, and I don't think anybody should be passing judgement until 1) they learn what Aprilia's official recommendations actually are and 2) an actual intended-for-the-street version comes out. This bike is a racer with lights and actually has pretty good service intervals (if they are 30 or 50 hours) when compared to something like a CRF or TZ250. To answer another comment, replaceable sleeve liners means they can be replaced, not that they necessarily need it that frequently. That's different than a motor with non-replaceable cylinders that are cast into the engine cases; VTR250 comes to mind.

I can't see any company putting out a street bike with a year or two warranty that requires a top-end teardown every 50 hours. Putting the rev limiter at 9,000 rpm and a few other changes will doubtlessly make this a pretty average motor, at the cost of a few HP.

Gabe