Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #11
Monterey_BS
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW StreetGuard2 Suit

BMW always seens to come up with good solutions to problems we face. This appears to be another. The problem for me is the stuff I wear is unlikely all to wear out simultaneously. Therefore, I'm always looking to solve one part of the puzzle. For a newbie or the independently wealthy this might be the way go, but not for me. BTW, the price, while high, is probably driven more by the sliding dollar-euro exchange rate (~$0.78 at this writing) than gouging by BMW. Thank you Mr. President for your enlightened economic policies!
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
DaveFla
Founding Member

Whatever. At 975 Euros ($1250 times your .78 E:dollar ratio), if the exchange rate were 1:1 it'd still be overpriced.

Thanks, but I'll stick with my Roadcrafter until those new technologies are available everywhere.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 AM   #13
maxriderdon
Founding Member

"I just hope BMW is not taking a page from Harley's book."

The difference is here you are actually getting more, not just a name, or buying a lifestyle. LOL
Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #14
KLRer
Founding Member

I'd want something that deflected small-arms fire, meteorites and gamma rays for that kind of money. Plus air conditioning--its not getting any cooler out there, people.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #15
ironoxide
Registered Member

It does matter what it costs. None of the dealers in the Midwest stock BMW wear anyway. They expect you to order it sight unseen. It just doesn't sell in quantities to justify carrying it. That said, we just lost another dealer in Cincinnati. At this rate we'll have a dealer for every 3 States soon. Way to go BMW, that'll increase your market share!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Arizona heat???

Just one little item to point out:

I know a little about heat, being a Phoenix area resident for the last 8 years and riding every day all year round.

94F in AZ is **NOT** remotely hot. It's quite pleasant, actually. And below 90 is almost chilly. Something about that ultra-low humidity we get here; 100F here is about equivilant to 88F in say, Chicago, as far as perceived discomfort.

So if you want to test gear in AZ heat, you need to pick a day where it's at least over 105F! Anywhere around Phoenix / Tucson / Yuma in AZ during June / July / Aug should work as long as the elevation is not too high. The inland deserts in CA are good too, the Palm Springs area for example is truly hot.....

But until I can see the gear works better than stuff like Joe Rocket's Phoenix and Alter-Ego gear in the 115F AZ summer heat I deal with every day, I'm not gonna be sold on $1200 worth of gear!
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
tshelver
Registered Member

As a counterpoint.

I crashed my previous set of gear. When I came to look at replacing it, I'm looking at more than $800, probably closer to $900 (top-line IXS gear).

Problem with Aerostich: add up the accessories that come standard with the BMW (CE armor including backpad, liner, true waterproofing, neck gater and so on) and you'll add substantially to the base price.

And it still doesn't have the XCR Goretex. Which does work: I've had an XCR snowmobile suit for 2 season now, and it works as advertised, venting out moisture very quickly.

As well, Stich suits are very stiff to start with, and are not as waterproof as you'd expect.

My riding typically takes place in temperatures under 94 F, so this would obviate the need for my mesh jacket and pants, another saving.

Finally, you get the pleasure of keeping BMW and their dealers in business. This makes me a lot less happy: if the suit was sold via general distribution channels, the price would be substantially cheaper.

Priced against Dainese (another 'name' brand), the suit isn't that bad either. IIRC, when I was shopping the latest Dainese Goretex jacket, it came in at $675. Add backpad and the neck gator, and it will be bumping up against the $800 mark.

Having worn (and crashed in) some of the more affordable brands out there, I'm more prepared to spend the money to get decent quailty.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #18
Rbacke
Founding Member

I just bought a leather Jacket for $39. I am sure that is not as cool as the afformentioned Street gaurd but get a grip BMW, yours is too expensive.
Rbacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Chulu
Founding Member

I love my 1150 RT and many other items BMW markets, but any article that begins by extoling the fictitious virtures of Gore-tex should instantly be dismissed in its entirety. I climb mountains for a hobby and have sadly learned in dangerous extremes that Gore-tex's claims will get you hurt. The only waterproof, breathable product on this planet is skin. Likewise, the author's suggestion that BMW is an industry leader in clothing technology is laughable. All of these large corporations can publish moden snake oil claims faster than we can disprove them... keep your money in your pocket.
Chulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #20
BillyO
Registered Member

Buy three jackets and a pair of pants. save six hundred smackeroos.

BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote