Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (
-   MO Reader Feedback (
-   -   Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR (

mscuddy 07-14-2006 01:49 PM

Re: Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR
Great article, you be one funny mofo. Of course I am a little biased on the whole Buell thing...

sv1000rider 07-14-2006 01:57 PM

Of all the technological advances touted by Buell, I fail to understand why a water-cooled engine isn't among them.

Buzglyd 07-14-2006 02:00 PM

Buell haters, your Friday night awaits you!

ksquid 07-14-2006 02:11 PM

OK let me begin the Buell hater fest... As Gabe's excellent review details the excellent design concepts implemented by this bike (mass centralization, fuell in the frame, lower cg, the front brake, belts, etc.) I still feel sad and frustrated that the Buell is still handicapped by inferior engine technology. Worse yet, as Gabe pointed out, Yamaha and Suzuki are copying his concepts..Next we will see a SV with a low slung exhaust and fuel in the frame.. Erik has done a fantastic job but I would love to see a Buell with a Ducat aircooled V-Twin installed just for yucks or the V-Twin from the Suzuki SV1000 or even the 650 SV.. I would love to see a motorcycle magazine take on the challenge of putting a proper motorand transmission in a Buell.

[b]Gabe thanks for doing an excellent article that doesn't sound like a Buell press release. I love the looks of these machines. The new paint schemes and wheels look better IMHO. However, HD I am still waiting for a better engine and transmission</a>

ksquid 07-14-2006 02:13 PM

Well said..Even a Ducati like air cooled twin would be a step into the 21st century.

staff 07-14-2006 02:30 PM

This is a good point.
And it's obvious Erik is sick of answering that question. He says the motor he uses is an all-new design that is perfectly suited to Buell's needs, but he also complains about how heavy it is.

I have a few theories as to why Buell isn't going to have a different engine any time soon:

-The close ties to H-D require them to use an H-D motor, and the VR water-cooled engine is too heavy and complex for use in a sportbike.

-More power would change the character of the bike and alienate the customer base who likes the air-cooled, pushrod thing.

-This motor burns clean enough to meet Euro and CA emission standards for the foreseeable future.

-A more complex, high-performance motor would be more expensive, requiring Buell to either charge a lot more money for their bikes or reduce the quality of the other compenentry.

I think Rotax, Folan or KTM could build a fantastic motor for Buell, adding 10-20 HP and dropping 40 pounds or more, as the motor could be used as a stressed member. But it would be a lot more money and wouldn't have the same charming character these bikes do now, and it still would be no match for machines like the GSXR1000, so why would they want to build it?

johnnyb 07-14-2006 02:38 PM

Excellent Gabe. Will you be covering Jeremy McWilliams next weekend then? Rumor from a high-placed source who spoke on condition of anonymity is that XB-RR will have a couple of major upgrades and a top five is doable...

ksquid 07-14-2006 02:40 PM

Top 5 ? Wow, only acheivable if you drop in a RC-51 V-Twin ....

johnnyb 07-14-2006 02:45 PM

I feel you should stick to political commentary KP. ( U c Arianna's rant about Rumsfeld over at huffingtonpost? her for president man...)

What makes Buell Buell is compactness. RC51 will not fit. V Rod will not fit. Ducati L-twin will not fit. The further you move the wheels apart, the lesser the advantage. I am going home I have done a hard day's work here. As far as u know...

ksquid 07-14-2006 02:46 PM

Re: This is a good point.
Your first , third, and last point are really good and insightful ones. I think point #2 is a little wea. I think Buells customer base includes some younger Gen X and Ys that don't have a romantic relationship with pushrods or aircooled motors. I think point 1 is the real reason... i.e don't bite the hand that feeds you..(HD) Love the photos by the way (MO has the best)