Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #51
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR

Funny how individuals who wouldnÂ’t ever be able to market, manufacture and sell anything successfully go on harping about what Eric Buell is doing wrong. I think Eric is doing fine without your advice.

All the Buell models are cool bikes. Without the V-twin pushrod it just wouldnÂ’t be a Buell.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #52
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: This is a good point.

"I am faster on my cheap, soulless, ugly, and undesirable SV1K"

Do you ride to be faster, or do you ride to have a good time?

Not sure why you consider a Buell a poser bike. It is really the exact opposite. You cannot go to the bar and brag to your friends that you have the fastest bike out there.

A Buell is a fun bike to ride and as such you need to take your enjoyment from riding it. If you do have the need to be the fastest on the road you need to look elsewhere. I suspect you donÂ’t, otherwise you could have spent your money on an I4 and been way faster than the SV. Of course, then you would have had a more ugly bike with less soul than your SV.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #53
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Daytona 675, dood...

The TT600 was a failed attempt, close but no cigar (very buellish too: best handling, but weak engine). The 675, on the other hand, is burning up the sales charts and reviews.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well I guess the marketing geniuses here don't understand that creating unique products and knowing your niche is the key to success.

Triumph learned that when they tried to create Japanese bikes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #55
pdad13
Founding Member

Bingo, Buz. However, I suspect the engine issue is causing Buell some problems. It's still hard to convince most of the sport riding audience that the bike can be really good, even if it is a fallacy.

(The automakers were selling millons of SUVs largely on the peception that they're safer, which is not true. In fact, they're more dangerous for drivers and passengers and kill many times more people in accidents than conventional cars. Still, people believe they're safer. Perception is greater than reality.)

"Unique" is an important quality for a significant number of people. But "unique" and the perception of inferiority, especially for a person who is attracted to big power and gee whiz technology (even though we know most could never even begin to use it properly), isn't so attractive. And Buell still has to appeal to a greater number of sportbike riders to become truely viable.

Buell is unique and should stay that way. Dropping a third-party motor in the bikes is not the answer and would never happen anyway. The best solution would be for Harley to develop a more effecient engine for one of its models and let Buell do its magic on it. But I don't see that happening, either.

One of these days I will pick up a used XB and ride the p*ss out of it.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #56
tsrzad
Registered Member

Dang, the '07s are looking good!

I am now a bit closer to making the jump from a 660cc thumper sportbike to a 1200cc...( as soon as the student loans are paid off!)
Old 07-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #57
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Daytona 675, dood...

It's not competing the the Japanese on any level dood, neither in performance nor price. They have a carefully crafted 'tweener' that isn't a 750 and isn't a 600. They best stay out of those areas, as the Japanese will eat them up. Sales charts have nothing to do with racing or price. If sales charts are the criteria, then Harley beats Triumph by tenfold. Triumph is a niche motorcycle company. They in no way compete with Japanese machines in price or performance.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #58
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Go visit Zippers

Zippers performance will get you 120 at the rear wheel. Just get a kit and away you go. Just click HERE
Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #59
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I feel you should stick to political commentary KP."

I feel he should stick to something he knows about..........like..............I'm still thinking..............ummmmmm..........CUPHOLDERS!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #60
OhioSteve
Founding Member

It would be WONDERFUL to ditch chain drive. Riding clothes are expensive and it is frustrating to find chain lube stains on my pants. I ride to work almost every day, and I can't look like a grease monkey once I arrive. Plus, Buell has undeniable individuality and charisma.

An engine similar to the sv1000 powerplant would be a step forward for Buell. Still, their current engines are adequate. They get good mileage and have great low-end torque.

The main problem for Buell is the disdain that Harley dealers feel and communicate to buyers. In the 1990s dealers committed alot of floorspace to Buell and Erik Buell responded by sending them unreliable crap to sell. Now Harley dealers really resist taking more than the minimum allocation of Buells. It is unfortunate because these days Buell makes a much better product.

OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote