Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: This is a good point.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm saying take two riders of equal ability and the Buell scorches your sv1000 on a twisty road.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR

Darn you jb, I was going to point out the same thing to ol' kp.

Interesting read many moons ago in C&D. Chevy engineer pointed out that the pushrod 6 litre Vette motor was smaller than 4.7 litre Porsche DOHC motor. It made more hp and allowed for better positioning in the chassis for better handling.

Grandpa used to say there's more than one way to skin a cat. Too bad narrow minded posters can't figure that out.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
priday
Founding Member

Default Oh, wise one......

......and I'm NOT being sarcastic.....

Chip, pipes, and filter. What else is there for the 1200? I don't mind tearing in, but maybe cams?

Are you talking 120 at the wheel?

Give me a roadmap to the best of your knowledge, if you were gonna.......

my bikes a xb12 lightning.

Thanks in advance!

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #24
JWaller
Founding Member

I really dig the Ulysses. It seems like the perfect bike for me. All the best features of my Sprint ST and KLR650 morphed into one bike. And no stinking chain to forget to oil. I ride the ***** out of my bikes and they often get neglected. Hydraulic lifters = no valve adjustments. Belt drive = no chain maintenance.

I just can't wait to graduate from college and get a job that will pay for my motorcycle habit. Next summer!

Did the article really say camoflauge bodywork? Pics?
JWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #25
JWaller
Founding Member

And Ducati like maintenance? Valve adjustments every couple months? No way man. Also, why should Buell change to be like all the other manufacturers? They're truly unique. And there actually are people that can appreciate the true beauty and simplicity of the air-cooled, pushrod engine.
JWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #26
ksquid
Banned

I would love to see MO do that comparsion. Put Pete and Gabe on a track and time it... SV wins.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #27
The_Boy
Registered Member

Default Re: Oh, wise one......

There is a well known xb12 that has a turbo on it. I read somewhere that it is putting a reliable 135hp to the wheel.

And to Gabe, keep up the good work. It is articles like yours (and the rest of MO) that sell real bikes to real people. I only looked at (and ultimately brought) a Buell Cityx because of your articles. I hope Buell knows where to focus their limited ad budget.

So what are you going to get me to buy next???
The_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #28
fastoldman
Founding Member

Too bad you think that's a good thing. 'Younger', outside of douchebag circles, isn't always a complement.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #29
staff
Registered Member

Default This is not my area of expertise, at all!

You need to go find a Buell or Sportster hop-up expert! Start at a Buell website and go from there.

But going from what I know about the basics of performance, big-bore kit, flow the heads, high-comp pistons, bigger valves, high-lift cams, less-restrictive exhaust and bigger throttle bodies...I'm sure 120 at the crank is achievable for a few grand. (not counting labor)

Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #30
The_Boy
Registered Member

I am part of gen Y. I almost brought a duc, until I saw the maintenance costs. I never considered a pushrod motor modern by any standards. But much like a lot of things, the old stuff works for a reason.

Buell has a street fun, low maintenance motor, that happens to get great fuel economy (50+).

Same thing with GM and the corvette, fast, and good fuel economy. Sounds like a winner to me.
The_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote