Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3751-firebolts-lightnings-xb-rr.html)

jaco1967 07-14-2006 02:46 PM

Re: Firebolts, Lightnings and an XB-RR

I still say they don't finish.

ksquid 07-14-2006 02:53 PM

Points taken... How about engines the MO staff have suggested Rotax, KTM etc... it can be done right. Thanks for tip ..Arianna is what is called a cougar (oldie but goodie babe)... Cougar is something I learned from Letterman's show last night..Hey she is single and lives in LA... Buz I think she is your age..

TomSmith 07-14-2006 03:04 PM

stressed member

A Vincent engine could also be used as a stressed member. And they are prettier, too.

sv1000rider 07-14-2006 03:27 PM

Re: This is a good point.

Don't get me wrong, I love the looks and most of the tech the Buells have. But getting my character-filled butt constantly handed to me by every other "sportbike" would get old real fast. And is Buell profitable? Could it survive on its own without HD?

priday 07-14-2006 03:37 PM

Big bore kit for a Lightning?

I WANT THE MOTOR FROM THE XBXX!

Anybody know if you can take something like an S&S and slap it in the Buell chassis?

The aftermarket is already there from the cruiser market (Like upping the power on a POS that can't turn or stop is a good idea....) so how come I can't find any reference to a red mist kinda entrepenur that has done this yet? Is this my Post-It note idea?

There has to be some reason why nobody's done this yet. They may make adequate power, but who's with me....

MORE IS BETTER, AND TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH!

Peace

Rob

priday 07-14-2006 03:38 PM

Re: Big bore kit for a Lightning?

OOoops.... I meant XB-RR....!

Night-Rider 07-14-2006 03:42 PM

I have always liked Buells, from their tube frames days and more so now. Maybe it is because I like an underdog or maybe itÂ’s because I would like to see America do something more then just talk. IÂ’m happy to see them sticking with their racing program w/ the XB-RR as well. They only will make motorcycles that are more competent if they race them. The R.N.D coming from that is the fastest way to develop his bikes. I wish them well.

IÂ’m not saying this because IÂ’m some kind of Buell, fanatic. My ride now is a Suzuki Bandit1200 It is an underdog as well. However, just like Buells how much HP do you need for the street? Torque is the most important number from stop light to stop light in my opinion.

staff 07-14-2006 04:15 PM

You will still be handed your as$

If you can't keep up or go faster on a street ride with 100 hp, having an extra 20 won't help you. It's all about the rider.

Buell is either borderline or marginaly profitable, although I imagine you could play all kinds of accounting games to swing that one way or another, since it is a division of a much larger company. I think Triumph is a good analogy; they are not profitable, either, but they keep at it, thanks to John Bloor's real estate success. Eventually they will gain enough market share to maintain profitability. I expect the same from Buell. They are both small companies that market their bikes to more discerning enthusiasts.

Incidentally, I told Erik Buell my "Triumph Theory", and I don't think he liked being compared to Triumph very much! I thought he'd be flattered.

Gabe

staff 07-14-2006 04:17 PM

No Problem...

There's a lot of aftermarket stuff available for the Buells, and in fact they used a lot of off-the-shelf stuff for the XB-RR. I don't know if you have the resources for 150hp, but 120 should be obtainable relatively cheaply if you know what you are doing.

Gabe

Buzglyd 07-14-2006 05:21 PM

My girlfriend is way younger than your wife.