Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #71
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Norge 1200: First Ride Report

I just sold my '91 ST and now have a stable of four old bikes, all kick start only. If I start saving now, finish some restoration/repainting and sell off a few bikes, I might just get this thing. Sure are a lot of nice Guzzis out there now. When was the last time you could say that? Maybe they'll even build a good version of the Quota. But put a decent motor in the Trumpet Scramble bike and I'd probably end up with one. It's a real pisser that the new Norton went belly up. And the new high-bar retro Duc is gonna be hard to pass up. We do live in grand times. If I gotta pay $3.00/gallon, so be it.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #72
seruzawa
The Toad

What? Norton America folded? That really sucks.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 AM   #73
SRMark
Founding Member

Yeah, I saw a blerb in one of the recent moto-mags. I really was thinking of getting one too. Damn near put a deposit on one last month.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #74
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"It might be worth noting that in order to cope with the increased load, the oil pump has been changed from the old gear type to a lobed one and exhaust valves are in nymonic steel and directly cooled by oil jets."

OK, Nymonic is one of the so-called "superalloys" like Inconel or Monel, and Guzzi seems to be making extensive use of it in exhaust valves (and other engine parts, possibly) throughout their entire line. What I don't get, is *how* the exhaust valve is being cooled by an oil-jet. It does little good to spray oil at the stem-end, and we all know what would happen to any oil sprayed onto the head of the valve........

Was this a typo, and should have read something like; "....exhaust valves are in nymonic steel and the *pistons* are directly cooled by oil jets" ?

That would make more sense to me.

Sorry Yossef, I know you're probably not a gearhead meccanica-junkie like me (you should probably be thankful for that!), and may not have the answer. It just has me scratching my head a bit, that's all.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #75
yossef
Founding Member

Well, I actually AM a gearhead, I am the technical editor for the printed mag I work for and spend too much time around open engines.

The norge press kit clearly says:"the cylinder head also features a hole that delivers a jet of oil directly to the exhaust valve".

Its hard to say wether this is very effective or not. If the oil jet actually washes the alloy around the valve guide area then a certain temperature decrease could be achieved as there would be more surface to transfer the heat to the oil. Agree with you that spraying the valve stem wouldnt do that much. Beyond having oil jets aimed at the pistons, oldskool gsxr's also had huge ammount of oil simply washing the cylinder head, so maybe its the same idea.
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #76
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Sorry, Yossef - didn't know your background. I've only been on the MO pay-site for about a year.

I don't know *what* I was thinking about here - for some reason, I had in my head "water-jacket cooling the seat" (D'oh! Idiot! No water jacket on a Guzzi!), and didn't even THINK about oil doing this (like, as you said, on the Suzukis).

That makes a LOT more sense to me now, than what I was envisioning before.

Thanks a Lot for following-up on my question. I really liked your review of the Norge, there's an MG dealer just a few hours away from me, and The Wife and I are looking for a good two-up moto.

While I've been somewhat (OK, a LOT!) attracted to BMW's GS, they don't two-up well enough to seriously consider as an "Our" bike. The more Touring-oriented bikes they have are just too heavy for me to handle easily, and I'm more lukewarm on their styling.

Yamahas FJR is reportedly the Shizznit, but they're somewhat hard to come by. Plus, it's getting to seem like everybody has one. Not that I'll turn one down if cash, availability, and planetary alignments are right. ;^D

Aprilia has the Futura, which I've *REALLY* been attracted to, but I've yet to ride one two-up with The Wife. I have a friend that has one, and he keeps offering to loan it..........

The Norge has definitely been added to the "Must See in Person" List. Hope it makes it here to the States soon!

Thanks again, Yossef!

-Scott Creech
Old 07-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #77
yossef
Founding Member

BMW GS are actually very good two-up bikes from my experience.....
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #78
bross
Registered Member

Default Re: Questions

I know the boxers supposedly burn oil. I bought my first boxer this spring, an 06 RT and it burns oil just like my Kawasakis and Hondas, none, zippo. The oil was right on the dot in the middle of the site glass when I picked it up, had the first service done at the dealer and amazingly they didn't overfill it, filled it right to the dot in the middle and that's where it is today 8500kms later and I just got back from a 3000km trip to Montana with some fairly spirited high speed runs. Maybe they just f%cked mine up at the factory. I think the key to the boxers and oil consumption is breakin, personally I used the motoman method and it appears to be working so far.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #79
motonut_1
Founding Member

As does the Buell Ulysses, for less money than all the aforementioned!
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #80
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

You see, - comments like that are why I "hang out" here. I would NEVER have considered a Buell a mere 2 years ago, but that one's on my "short list".

The more I stare at the photos, the more I like the Ulysses. As I happen to have access to no less than 10 major-brand Dealers (with the recent addition of a Harley/Buell dealer - opening soon), all within a 45 minute ride of me (not to mention the myriad of small shops). All the Big Three represented quite well, pretty-much lacking (locally) just MotoGuzzi, Ducati, and Triumph (and each of these I have a dealer within 3hrs of me).

So, I have a tremendous choice.

I can see a Big Trailie or an open-class ST in my future............