Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Moto Guzzi Norge 1200: First Ride Report (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/3720-moto-guzzi-norge-1200-first-ride-report.html)

yossef 07-04-2006 01:58 AM

Re: Moto Guzzi Norge 1200: First Ride Report

well it has to pass sound controls you know, but all things considered, it had a pretty meaty sound

tripletango 07-04-2006 02:39 AM

As in Norway!

tripletango 07-04-2006 02:45 AM

The parts problem was caused by Piaggio consolidating all brands into a warehouse in NY. This has been done and things have improved.

longride 07-04-2006 05:25 AM

I'm in. When's the party?

LiionsRest 07-04-2006 06:39 AM

Another excellent review, Yossef!

I'm thinking I might ought to have waited for the Norge instead of giving in to the lust I experienced waiting for the Breva 1100. Still, it's the best bike I've owned. Love the thing.

The name "Norge" is explained here:

In 1928 the Guzzi brothers created an elastic frame with a sheet steel box enclosing four springs, together with a swingarm in tubes and sheet metal which they then used on the G.T. It was also the embryo of the first modern rear suspension and the basis for the first genuine Gran Turismo motorcycle. Original in everything, the Guzzi Brothers chose a highly particular test - a 4000 mile journey from Mandello del Lario to Lapland in northern Norway, inside the Arctic Circle. A monumental enterprise, considering the disastrous condition of European roads at that time. But in four weeks, Giuseppe reached his destination. The elastic frame with rear suspension was so successful that it was introduced in production machines and the G.T. was named "Norge" in memory of that unprecedented feat. This is why Moto Guzzi decided to name the first "Gran Turismo" of the new era the "Norge".

Wobblyoldgeezer 07-04-2006 07:04 AM

well now, the first post I wrote to these forums was that I wanted a Breva - and now I want this Norge more! Most fun I had out of a bike (in a riding history from 14 years old to my present... more than 14) was 25000 miles on a Ducati ST2 - and this one looks better - still Italian, still a v twin, peppier and stronger ( well, time will tell). But, I've never had a serious bike with mirrors out on stalks, without them coming loose and twisting back.

Yusef, is this a point of concern?. Because for me, that would be a dealbreaker!

teknoman 07-04-2006 07:56 AM

When you get to town,bro.

seruzawa 07-04-2006 11:55 AM

"Does the world need another sport touring motorcycle?"

Sure. There aren't many. There are some 600lb+ behemoths that the manufacturers like to call "sportourers" however calling something a "sporttourer" doesn't make it such. Some of these "sporttourers" weigh more than an '82 GW Interstate.

If the dry weight claim is correct than this bike might actually be an authentic sporttourer.

Arkane 07-05-2006 03:12 AM

I think they might have have the Polar exploration
Dirigible Norge in mind when they named it.
<a href="http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/dirigibles/LTA9G11_hi.jpg">Pic

eojmo 07-05-2006 02:18 PM

The engine was not designed and built for a Fiat car, it was designed for a millitary vehicle with a three wheel set up and a steering wheel.It also had vestigal tracks fitted on the rear wheels.Its nickname was "mulo meccanico".Also the engine could be used to drive generaters or compressors.From this engine design the Moto Guzzi V7 model was developed.