Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Fenton
Founding Member

Default It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian

I really enjoyed the video. Were those guys from SNL?

Great review! Now if I can just get it to sink-in. Thanks for the departure from the 1/4 mile times and HP numbers that too many of us focus on when picking our bikes.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: Revisited

Nice article..

Bike kPPI

---- ------

R6 89.68

599 90.66

V-thing 88.10

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
naco_traficante
Registered Member

So whaddya think of the V-strom's gearbox ? Are the gears tall enough ?

I am wondering if Suzuki basically re-uses the SV transmission.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
theovenmits
Founding Member

Re: v-strom wind protection - did y'all have a constant, 30-60 mph tailwind on that thing? As a former v-strom owner and and participant in v-strom forums, I can say with confidence that the major buffeting is one of the real shortfalls of that bike. Almost every owner feels the need to replace the windscreen. Great all-round bike, other than that....
theovenmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
ksquid
Banned

For more kPPI click user info
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
caffine
Registered Member

Great article/assessment, guys. I bought the '06 599,(without ever sitting on one, had to order it) first bike in 20 years. It's everything you said it is (Gabe did a great review earlier this year as well). It was a great choice for re-introducing myself to riding. It is what it is. Bomb-proof reliable transportation and nice styling. Bungee my camera gear to the back seat and go on 100+ mile trips every weekend. No regrets. Will keep it when I'm ready for my next bike.

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I had to make time to read this. I consider Fred's "It ain't the tool" a MO Classic that eloquently articulated something that is fundamental to the Sport (any sport). I was surprised at the result of this test, in a way. I'm sure they're all good bikes in their own way blah, blah and all (which caused me to think of the last "Bad" bikes I'd come across or heard of lately for about 2 min's at which point, without success, I quit due to a lack of continued interest). The Suzook guys must just ride (imagine that!) instead of facing the (IMO clueless) "Spec Junkies" at the Burger Barn. Good stuff as usual guys, MO.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
SRMark
Founding Member

If looks mattered, I'd take the Honda; if sound were criteria, I'd go for the Yamaha. If I had to live with the bike, I'd take the Wee. However, sitting in the Strom's ****pit, the bike looks cheesy, a cheap assemblage of mid grade parts. The gauges are homely and that screen needs a good heave. And it sits a bit too high and the seat needs some help (at least for my big ol butt). But, for what it can do for the initial price and the daily operating expenses, it has few peers. It still hasnÂ’t been able to pry open my wallet but it is very tempting.

Now, if Guzzi would redo the crappy Quota using the 750 or 850 Breva engine while keeping the price to about $8,500 I think that could be a bike to match the Suzy, add a bit of class and clean up the cheapness. Or if Triumph would make a sport touring version of the 675, or put a real engine and suspension in the Scrambler or did a superbike version of the ThruxtonÂ… or a Thruxton version of the 675Â…

Good work on this test MO. Nice broad slice of bikes.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #9
maladg
Registered Member

What a great article. And the video - oy, like buttah! Or being at King's Deli on N. Military Trail in Boca Raton.

The dyno runs sounded like Rod Taylor's Time Machine winding up - or maybe Homer Simpson's Stratolounger 6000 (given to him by his wealthy, long lost brother) launching him into a hyperspace of relaxation.

Hoping to see many more of these - "It Ain't the Tool" comparos. I understand and am ok with the usual latest, greatest comparos. I mean a business has to do what a business has to do when a business has to do what it has to do - ie, bring the proles in.....so the rest of us have some REAL goodies to snack on.

Great way to start out the day! Thank You!!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: right on the money

Nice to see that function over form can prove the real winner for real-world riding. While some wee strom owners have complaints, the overwhelming reviews by owners are similary to mine... the DL650 is a fantastic bike.

My DL650's the best bike I've owned in 24 years of ridings various sportbikes, standards and sport-tourers. The build quality and basic layout are very good (especially for Suzuki) and while it looks an odd duck sitting without a rider, once you're on it, such nonsense is moot as the basic feel and function of the bike JUST WORK very well. The instruments, suspension, height, and generally layout become very natural and functional after a few hundred miles, like most good bikes do. However, I do agree with common complaints that the windscreen "as is" is flawed -- especially for 6'+ riders. Fortunately, there are low cost fixes (as in adding washers to increase rake/angle for the do-it-yourselfers) and some fine aftermarket screens. I opted for a Vario Touring Screen from TwistedThrottle and the buffetting is gone and it's fully stable at 120+ mhp, and full adjustability allows for on-the-fly airflow adjustments.

Add a Pyramid chin fairing and fenda extenda (I did and it looks damned sporty I get compliments from the sportbikers), or a real bashplate with crashbars if you're going see serious dirt, and have a ball. I do hit the dirt and even some real off-roading occasionally, and while it's no DRZ or YZ, it works fine for trekking -- if you play with tire pressures.

However, it's on the street the wee strom handles long rides, twisties, bad roads, and commuting with amazing grace and adrenaline inducing fun. Oh, and that gearbox is smooth as butta.

Again, it's bike that once you ride you discover is more than the sum of its parts. If you want an R6 for looks, then the strom won't please you. However if actually ride off the track and aren't fixated on looking cool, then the strom's a blast. Nuff said.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote