Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #31
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: Revisited

Gee, wooden brakes, mushy forks and wimpy motors! I want all three....

Boffo test.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #32
rgewirtz
Founding Member

I started riding on an open standard, a 1997 Triumpn Trident 900. It was plenty fast, handled well, took 2 up well, and worked good as a commuter with a GIVI bag. As my skills improved I moved on to a 955i for the looks and cool factor. Unfortunatly, it wasn't as good as the Trident when my girlfriend wanted to go for a ride and was a pain as a commuter. I picked up a Harley softail which is great for a Sunday cruise together but is a lousy commuter and a pig of a performer. Now I have a R1200 GS which I commute with everyday and I think is fun and handles pretty well. I traded in the 955i for a 999s which is now a trackday only bike. Long and expensive "It Ain't the Tool" comparo. Still, no regrets. I love each bike in its own way.
rgewirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Performance

Hey I rode it on Sunday.. Battery Tender works great!
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Performance

It sounds a lot like the stupid metrics that the MBAs are constantly adding that take more time to report and achieve nothing. They've now figured out how to make our activity look on paper like it is 100% effective even if nothing gets produced. Naturally the clowns who invent this stuff know nothing of software/hardware engineering... just like a certain someone has never ridden the bikes he rates.

Sort of like the 5-year plans were all fully on track and in compliance in the Soviet Union the very day it collapsed.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. Actually I think the influence of the mags is less than one might think. Back in the 80s the mags couldn't complain about the cruisers enough. Didn't slow the sales down one bit.

But that doesn't mean that the PR flacks for the manufacturers won't try to strongarm the publications if they can. Remember Honda refusing MO any bikes for a couple of years? Good for MO not knuckling down, which is why it's the only US m/c publication I pay to read. The others get free perusal in the local library.... when I'm in the mood for all the gushing praise.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #36
fostir
Registered Member

Great article. I totally agree that how you ride matters much more than what you ride. I think, however, that if you are not already fast and you are trying to build up your skills, it is probably easier to do so on a sportsbike. Sportsbikes are lighter, handle better and are more forgiving if you push yourself close to your limits. If, on the other hand, you have already become fast, you can be fast on any bike - sportsbike, standard, or cruiser.
fostir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #37
Tigercub
Founding Member

Are the wall paper pictures really necessary? It bogs the printer down here at work.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #38
killer5280
Registered Member

These MO guys are seriously jaded by all the blingy new bikes they get to ride. (OK, I'm jealous.) The 599 is a fast motorcycle, easily able to do mid 11's in the quarter mile, with a reasonably broad powerband that's way more accessible than that of the R6.

Anywhere short of a racetrack a good (and sane) rider on the 599 will be able to keep up with anything.
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #39
davidhaner
Founding Member

Select the text, copy and paste into notepad, print.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #40
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

The old GL650 Silverwing Interstate sounds like it could have grown into what you describe if it had stayed around. Conventional wisdom is that it got killed off either by Honda deciding to concentrate on cruisers, or maybe it was the reputation the earliest CX's had for eating cam chain tensioners.

But some of the new touring scooters (one of which even has the Silverwing name) seem close to what you describe - faired bikes with highway capability and lots of storage space.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote