Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #21
ksquid
Banned

Default Just for fun

It's a weighted average of key ratios..hp/$ torque/$ hp/weight, torque/weight qtr mile time/$ etc. Each ratio is normalized against standard. I just happened to pick the GSXR-750..as the standard i.e. 100.. It's intended to be like a quarterback rating... I plan to refine it as I get more data....It's not good at comparing apples and oranges i.e. sportbikes vs cruisers. Rather it is for sportbike vs sportbike , cruiser vs. cruiser... Notice the highly touted Intercepter has a lower than expected kPPI. That is because of its average qtr mile time, cost and weight.. Yes sportbike are going to rule but everyone knows Japanese sportbikes are great performance value i.e. no big surprise..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #22
jaek
Registered Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: Revisited

It'd be nice to see how "standards" with high-quality components do in these tests. The 599 is nice and all, but as you said it's got a gimpy motor and weak suspension. Why not throw in the Tuono, or the 950 Supermoto, or the SM610, or something like that?

Sure they cost a bit more, but whatever!
jaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: DAMN YOU SUZUKI....

Yeah. But look at the positive side. Suzuki offers ABS for dual disc front brakes at a price that severely undercuts the other manufacturers.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #24
Easyenough
Founding Member

Great concept for an article, I re-upped my subscription this week, and now I know it was worth it.

I can only afford one bike, (and no car) and I was torn between these three ideas about what a motorcycle can do. I was especially torn between the DL and the 599. I ended up with the 2004 599 because I got it $1000 cheaper than I could find a DL650 - which is counterintuitive, but the pricing of used bikes with 300 miles on them is a strange thing.

I've put 4000 miles on the 599 and especially in the city and nearby twisties, I'm happy with it. On the highway, even with an aftermarket fairing, it's not too good, especially considering the weak gas mileage.

Unlike my buddy's 10 year old Duc monster 900 though (which is roughly equivalent in HPs), you have to run it above 6,500 rpm to get any kind of life out of it, which feels aggressive for running groceries home (I've got big soft panniers).

So I still have my eye out for a do-it-all V-strom.

Thanks for the comparo
Easyenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #25
familydad
Registered Member

You sound just like me. I currently drive a 96' Honda PC800. It's a great bike but it could use FI with 10-20 more horse, a rear disc brake, and a larger gas tank. The vstrom has some of that but does not have a shaft drive. Why can't some of the manufacturers bring out a mid-size (or mini goldwing) touring bike? Something from 650-850cc shaft drive (maybe belt), with a full fairing and bags. For those of us who commute or do one-up touring and don't want to spend 15-20k or lug around 800+ lbs. Honda even has one that meets these criteria in Europe called the Deauville. Where have all the practical bikes gone?
familydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #26
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think it's the publications themselves that ballyhoo the shyt out of every new model. Sportbikes have advanced so far in the last 15 years that it has rendered the average rider useless. There is no way to use anywhere near the capability of these machines, even for a decent rider on a racetrack. In baseball terms, if you can't hit a 100 mph fastball then why try to hit a 120 mph fastball? I'm guilty as hell. I have a Busa and love the thing!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #27
ddlewis
Registered Member

I thought it was geared a little short for the street.

16tooth countershaft sprocket (+1 > stock) is a common mod and I much prefer it over stock. The only reason I can think of for not going the 16t route is if you do a lot of low speed trail plonking. It brings the revs down nicely on the freeway, mpg up, and still plenty of go off the line.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #28
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Performance

He forgot to mention the all important "how long can the bike sit unridden before the battery goes dead" factor.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #29
bboule
Founding Member

BMW F650? Upcoming F800? The price is wrong but the features are probably right.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:42 AM   #30
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: DAMN YOU SUZUKI....

Well, $500-600 is what it costs in europe in a fair number of bikes. EG, Kawasaki ER-6n/6s (aka Ninja 650), Bandit 650, etc etc etc...

Finally seeing the low cost ABS in the US, FINALLY, is a big relief for me.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote