Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 05:48 AM   #81
deanmass
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

OK. Styling wise, the bike looks great. Nothing put out by the Japs or Americans has the blend of Art, Power (bawls!) and function. This bikes' real competition as I see it is the Valkyrie, the Vmax, the Duece, and (barely) the Road Star, the last included just because it's displacement allows it to potentially be a muscle bike. The Valk is awesome, but after riding for the first time, I felt kind of empty. It was great in everyway, but reminded me more of my Accord (this is a VERY broad generalization, so don't overreact, insert ANY smooth powered refined car here, as needed) than a motorcycle. The VMax is THE musclebike of the last 10-15 years (IMHO...Eliminator, what happened to you??), but its looks, functionality and chassis limitations are outgunned by the VTX. The Duece is an HD. Think what you will, but that matters. One of the magic things that Honda was able to do with the Valk that no other non-HD bike has been able to do to date (with the Max being the ONLY possible exception) is be the ONE Jap bike that the HD guys HAVE to dig. Valk riders get the same respect that the HD guys do in HD circles. If you roll up on a HD guy on a Road Star, Royal Star, LC1500, Shadow or any other big-bore Jap cruiser (haing bad flashbacks of disrespect while riding my former mount ACE 750) , the most you can hope for is a polite wave, the usual response is a snicker. If you roll up on a Valk, you are treated more as an equal, because the Valk was not an attempt to mimic the HD magic. It was it's own monster. So where does that leave the VTX? In a great place, but I still do not think it is the unique animal that the Valk (or maybe even the Max) is. It will sell, and sell well. The respect factor is unknown, but with Honda behind it, I am sure the owner will get a hell of a lot of great riding time out of it. My big question, after all this is, is that the BEST name they could come up with? Here are some names that came to mind while writing this; The JuggerNaut, The Beast, The Sledge, etc...Something with more flair could have been devised, but hell, it looks like they got the bike right..(deanmass)
deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 05:54 AM   #82
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

I'm sorry but I just couldn't let that comment slide: "V-Twin engines aren't so hot either"??? Have you missed the entire last season of WSB??? Both Ducati and Honda kicked azz with their v-twins. And for the record, yes I do have a v-twin. My posting isn't biased, I just practice what I preach.
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:05 AM   #83
Bear
Founding Member

Thoroughly, totally, radically AWESOME!!! This is what I've been looking for. This past December, my wife rented a Harley Fat Boy for me to spend the day on, and I was positive that I would go back to the H-D riding style and worry about the power later. Now I see that I can have it all without going to anything as huge as a Valkyrie, or having to spend all the extra moolah on performance enhancements for a Harley. Nice job, Honda! And great job MO for bringing it to us!

Ride safe and sober! Bear
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:14 AM   #84
phlibble
Founding Member

Default Re: Two Observations on VTX 1800

This bike lists for within a thousand dollars of a bare-bones Harley softail (FXST). If both bikes were in ready supply, why would anyone want the Honda? It's a big, fast musclebike... big deal. Cruising isn't about speed. I certainly wouldn't take that pig into the canyons here in Colorado. I'm sure it will appeal to a certain segment of loyal Japanophiles, but ultimately, it's of little interest.
phlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:19 AM   #85
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Well I guess we'll just have to wait for Cycle World or Motorcyclist to give is the real facts about acceleration, since MO doesn't do it anymore, but you're going to be disapointed. The VTX will run 12.5+ second 1/4 mile times and take 3.5 to 4.0 seconds to get to 60 mph. The only thing it'll smoke will be it's rear tire, since it weighs in over 700 lbs (without the ride!).

My tires are mentioned because they're the only thing keeping the VMax from handling.

Sorry to say, but the VTX won't be able to keep up with a 600cc sport bike on the drag strip (out of the hole or any where else). YOU have NO facts. Period

Rod
rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:20 AM   #86
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

The answer is different strokes for different folks Some people like cruisers, some sportbikes, some tourers, etc., etc., etc. It's not a big deal, and it's certainly not an insult to owners of one class to like another class.

Cruisers aren't my cup of tea, but I can certainly understand why they'd be a fun bike to own. I understand and respect people who own and love cruisers.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:24 AM   #87
hubec
Founding Member

Default Sandblast, Dremel, Paint, Solved! (eom)

hubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:34 AM   #88
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Your description of BMW is a bit overstated...

I own a late-model ('99) BMW roadster which has very little of the stuff you mentioned and is based largely on 80's/early 90's E30/36 technology. It costs five-figures more than a comparable Miata and doesn't perform as well as a S2000 which is in the same price range. What it has is "character" --kinda like a Harley. It drives like nothing else on the road, quirks and all. So much for pushing the engineering threshold.

Also re Sportsters, I'm afraid you don't have a clue what you're talking about. HD dealers absolutely positively LOVE to sell them even though there's not nearly as much profit on the initial sale as with a BT. Why? Because Sportsters are the most accessorized, customized bikes on the planet. The majority of people who buy Sportsters either don't want or can't afford a BT so they don't cannibalize sales. What Sportsters do is generate a LOT of sales of very profitable accessories. What HD riders call the "Harley tax." That's where a BIG slice of any HD dealer's profit comes from.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 06:58 AM   #89
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

What does the thing sound like.

I've seen so many metric cruisers come and go and they all fell short in the SOUND catagory. They either sound like a hoover sweeper or a lawn tractor. Sometimes they change the pipes and they sound like a LOUD sweeper or a LOUD lawn tractor. Has anybody really heard one of these things. How does it compair with the best sounding cycle HD? Is it deep and round or is like a cow farting in a coffee can?

sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 07:20 AM   #90
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Welcome to the world of METRIC. Every 2 or 3 yrs they come out with something radically different that blows away the last thing they made. I would have rather seen Honda come out with an updated version of the Valk. Here is a bike that doesn't try to imitate anyother bike. The poor Valks resale probably just went down the tubes. I know that buying a bike for its resale is not the reason to buy. However why buy something you know you probably won't be satisfied with in a few years

because the same company just came out with something that blows it away? Kinda like buying the fastest computer.

jmho

sLOWrIDE
sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote