Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 03:22 AM   #71
Hochreiter
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Probably just as easy with their other V-twins. The ACE750 is very easy, easier than on a cage!
Hochreiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 03:23 AM   #72
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

Default Re: 102 hp/ 101 ft-lbs enough?

BIG price difference between the Honda VTX and the Hunwick Harrop Cruiser my friends! For the cost of the "stock" HH cruiser, one could totally outfit the Honda and take a trip to Sturgis, JMHO.

Nice thing about the Japanese Manufacture's, they seem to have not forgotten that not "Every American" is a "RUB", Hi-Tech'er. with 20 large burning a hole in his gucci snakeskin wallet! Good on ya Honda, keept it!!

motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:25 AM   #73
Hochreiter
Founding Member

I think the downward pressure is seen by the prices not currently rising.
Hochreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:33 AM   #74
Geoff
Founding Member

Default Two Observations on VTX 1800

Nice bike, and I love the power. Sure would have been nice to see some torque and HP graphs with the article.

I saw this bike at the Chicago bike show. Two observations: Whasssup with that telephone-pole-looking exhaust pipe? You've got to see this thing in person to truly note its size. Hopefully, the aftermarket suppliers will provide some alternatives.

Second, the chrome rear fender mounting brackets are angled upward. When saddle bags are used, these brackets will stick out like mornin' wood. Shame on Honda's designers for allowing these brackets to disrupt the bike's lines.

Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:37 AM   #75
Geoff
Founding Member

If big bikes scare you, consider a moped!
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 03:49 AM   #76
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Come into this decade

Actually shaft, you'er the idiot ! I've had my wife on the back of my bike at 120. Judging from your name you must still be living in the 70's when all bikes wobbled down the road at anything over 80 or so. Or maybe it has to do with shaft drive ? It's either a tourer or cruiser and here we go back to the over 80 and wobbling again. No wonder you think like you do. Sportbikes rule !!!!
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:06 AM   #77
RidesaHDS
Founding Member

Love the look of the bike with the cowl and mini-fairing... what's the deal with the "bazooka" muffler?

Can't wait to see the VTX with a decent looking exhaust system. Bet it'll sound great! Love big displacement V-twins... all of 'em!
RidesaHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:07 AM   #78
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: We're not ya' know...

Why do you keep refering to the fact that everyone is jealous of harley's ? What is there to be jealous of ? Less chrome, more chrome, louder pipes, more accessories, more apparel, slug slow ? I've never been jealous of farm equipment. As far as the SEC goes, you'll note that they aren't the jewel of wall street that you think they are. As soon as they catch up production with demand they will begin to play the Titanic again. Sportbikes rule !!!
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:07 AM   #79
ValknMag
Founding Member

They don't compare the Valkyrie to many other bikes, because it's so different. I'm keeping my Valky for that very reason. All the V-twins look alike to me, and I'm not interested in extra vibrations. VTX may be quicker, but what stands out in a parking lot, a big V or the Fat Lady?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 05:22 AM   #80
john
Founding Member

Your analogy to mercedes and BMW is flawed. They are expensive because they push the engineering threshold. You are paying for advanced traction control systems, smart automatic trannys, HID lighting systems, navigational systems, electronic suspensions, etc. Harleys have: air cooled motor, non-adjustable suspensions, brakes that fade after a few hard stops, oh and chrome. To me, that would say that their value is not based upon their technological prominence, like Mercedes' and BMW's are.

You see, that is what is so odd about the bike world today. With the exception of a few exotics (MV Agusta) the bikes which are the technological powerhouses are the cheaper bikes, because they are in such fierce competition. The bikes which offer very little in terms of performance, technology, or anything quantifiable are the very expensive bikes. And, with the excepton of the sporster, they are overpriced for their competition. And dealers, i assure you , hate taking sporsters, but they are required to.