Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-28-2001, 07:34 PM   #41
Shaft
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

You said "that this is not the most powerful cruiser made." You are wrong. What does "good tires" have to do with proving how powerful your bike is. Anyway, you have your facts wrong. The V-max may be FASTER and it should be. However, the VTX is built for cruising and low end grunt and it WILL smoke the V-Max off the line and just about any other bike on the road, sportbikes alike. These are the facts... disagree with them? Then you'll be wrong. Period.
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2001, 07:37 PM   #42
Shaft
Founding Member

A passenger at 140? You're an idiot.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:38 PM   #43
granny
Founding Member

The folks that are attracted to VTX don't care about such flaws. These are straight line interstate cruising bikes, not twisty-turny bikes. If you like cruisers, you'll probably like the VTX. If you like sport or dual-sport bikes, you'll probably dislike the VTX. If it was my money being spent on an object of entertainment, I'd go for a GSX-R and have enough left over to attend a few track schools (YMMV).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:45 PM   #44
Shaft
Founding Member

I have a '90 CBR1000f so I'm with you. However, this bike is an 1800, let's remember, and IS a cruiser. Fatboys weigh MORE than this and don't have an engine that will shake mother earth. I am a hard core sportbike fan but this bike will absolutely rock for the cruiser crowd! Look out Harley! You're about to get your ass kicked up one side and down the other by a much more powerful, better looking, more reliable, better built and engineered machine... and for a whole lot less. Wow... the more I think about it, the more amazed I am at what a joke "Hardly Ableson" is. HAHA! Puleeeez!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:01 PM   #45
MattTinSF
Founding Member

Honda's target with this bike is clearly the customizing crowd. About the only thing going for it is its styling. Too much vibration for touring, too low ground clearance for anything but boulevard cruising, and way too expensive for a daily commuter. For those considering plunking down the big bicks for this big bike, engine reliability would be big a worry for me, especially in the first year of production. Offset wristpins and special connecting rods aside, I'm betting right now that this monster is going to have piston slap and resultant cylinder scoring, just like every other big-inch V-twin I've seen. But if you're just going to cruise down to the local watering hole and impress your friends and enemies, who cares about reliability or handling or anything to do with actual riding? I place the VTX in the category of bikes that are perfect for the rider who wants a motorcycle for every reason except actually riding one.
MattTinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:08 PM   #46
hondavfr
Founding Member

I will not pay more than retail looked at harleys last summer they can pound sand. I used my down payment and bought a new VFR this a bike you dont see many of on the road.
hondavfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:37 PM   #47
pushkin_9
Founding Member

Default Valkyrie

I Think the valkyrie looks so much better than this overgrown ergoHarley.

The Valk is infinitely more distinctive with that giant flat six sticking out for all to see...no stooopid bolt on fins. Plently of ground clearance for when you want to pass the Chromemobiles on the curves.

The Valkyrie is beautiful...it's brutal...it's a cruiser...who'd have thought? To get anything else that looks as beautiful and brutal, you have to go to an R1, and then you'll be screaming "Carpal Tunnel Syndrom" halfway to Sturgis.

Ok, so I haven't seen the numbers yet, but let's think about the engineering problem. From a perfomance point of view, Engineers have a lot more room to play with if they have more cylinders. There's a reason the Dodge Viper is a V-10 instead of the classic american V-8. I'd lay money on the flat-6 smoking the overgrown twin...I don't know, but that's my guess.

The only thing amazing about the VTX is those damn clever honda engineers figured out how to get respectable power output from an antiquated engine design.

Keep the Valkyrie...it speak of your "damn the chrome bits I want speed and handling" attitude.

The VTX (pretty as it is) says "If I could figure out how to chrome my ass I'd do that too....do you think that'd hurt?"

pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 08:55 PM   #48
Damon
Founding Member

I'm here with a lean-angle comparo for big-bore cruisers. This is a test of how far I have to "lean over" to drive one home from my stealer showroom.

FIRST:

-'01 H-D Fatboy. MSRP $15,495. Actual price at CycleTrader Online (which compares the local dealers)...$19,800 --$23,500 depending on dealer equipment (chrome, bags, Screamin' Eagle stuff) but mind you $19,800 in the real world with no extra stuff.

-'01 H-D Deuce. MSRP $16,235. CycleTrader Online...$20,450 --$25,000, depending.

-'01 Softtail standard (el Strippo big twin) MSRP $12,535. CycleTrader Online... $17,000-- $20,500, depending.

The H-Ds will make 63.3bhp and 76.1 lbs/ft at the rear, stock. (This according to Cycle World's H-D power/performance issue. Winter/Fall 2000.)

NEXT:

Yamaha Road Star. MSRP $10,999. Real World Price... Y2K models (exactly idenical except for paint color) are still around (in So. Fla. anyway) for $9,699.

The Yam gives the same air cooling and belt final drive and underslung rear shock as the H-Ds. In other words, a wonderful platform for customization, which is important to cruiser owners. And yeah, the aftermarket loves this bike, given what's available after only three years. Pipes from V&H, Bub, Hard Crome, and more. Seats from Corbin, Sargent, and Russell. Bags from Leatherlyke and Chase Harper. Wheels, brakes, and pulleys from PM, even an 1800cc big bore kit! Take that! I digress.

Bone stock Road Star? 53.3 bhp and 85.0 lbs/ft at the rear. (Rider, March '99)

This is 10 less hp and 8.9 more lbs/ft than H-D. The power peaks sooner than H-D but the Yam weighs about 15 lbs. more than the Fat Boy, about 32 lbs. more than the Deuce.

NEXT:

Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic. MSRP. $9999 (carb), $10,799 (Fi). Real World Price?

Actually they seem to be going for sticker here in So. Fla. Fancy that.

Not as much in the way of blank canvas customizability, due to shaft, dual shocks, water-pumper, but still a very pretty and very, very functional bike.

Bone Stock? 47.9 bhp and 69.1 lbs/ft at the rear (Cycle World, May '99.)

NEXT:

The "other" American big-bore are Victory. At 1550 (just slipping in between the Kawi and the Yam.) I don't have hard numbers for them, unfortunately. It's an air/oil cooler so you can expect it to produce more than the harleys, but maybe less than the water-pumpers but the V92C (the "just yer basic cruiser" model) MSRP for $13,399 and sells for right at that in these parts.

NEXT:

Suzuki Intruder 1400 and Intruder 1500 LC.

MSRP of LC1500 is $9999, and is listed in the CycleTrader Online by one major area dealer at $8,799. The 1400 Intruder is a relic of the Eighties, thus, stylewise (and style is everything, here) it's not a player.

Really, that's it for the major makers. All the other makers stop at 1100-1200cc, or are small batch custom makers using S&S motors and listing in the $30k range. Guzzi and Bimmer have nothing like these.

Ironically, after introducing a brand new engine just three years ago, the Harley "Big Twin" TC88 motor actually has the smallest stock displacement here at just 1450cc. Even after their 1550 BigBore kit, they still run even with Victory and get beat by Yammy and the new VTX. You can call it cosmic irony, you can call it poetic justice, but I call it comic.

So there you have it, kids. There's your lean angle comparo. Don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful.

MO User "Damon"
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:13 PM   #49
Damon
Founding Member

There's the facts...now my two cents.

I look at the amazing amount of tech that went into this motor, and I am impressed. But here the other side of that coin...if it takes that much tech to make it a viable base design, that's a BIG indication to me that this motor is really pushing the limits of what can be done in two cylinders. I thik we're gonna see a falling off ofr a while, maybe even a bit of backlash...just as with the full-size SUV craze. After the Ford Excursion, all the makers stopped dead on bigger, badder, more development. They had kind of reached the limits of the platform, the point at which the downside makes it unpalatte-able to the average Joe who tries to drive the beast.

They may try larger-displacement v-4s like the V-MAX 2.0liter that someone above mentioned. Who knows, the six-can CBX might come back!
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:56 PM   #50
Kiwi
Founding Member

But will the Hunwick Hallam Phantom 1500 be even better? It certainly lokks that way to me!
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote