Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2001, 08:19 AM   #341
Welby
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Sorry for the late reply. I have never owned a Harley, but always have wanted to. However, I'm picking up a VTX tomorrow because of it's price.

It has always been very hard to justify, for me anyway, the price of the Harleys.
Welby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2001, 12:03 AM   #342
Wizzmerlin
Founding Member

I went to the Harley Dealer before I bought my VTX. I didn't see ONE there (they had many) that looked nearly as good as the VTX with out a lot of imagination and plenty of bucks for customizing. Also there was only 1 there under $20,000 You know I can make a lot of changes to any little thing I might not care for on the VTX (like Exhaust) for $8,000. I have even had several Harley riders say they were going to trade for the VTX. Harley has a GREAT Name but if they don't start working on the price and stock bike equiptment (like forward controls) which the VTX has !! they are going to be going the way of the "Old VW Bug" Great for thier day but not really much for the times.
Wizzmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:41 AM   #343
Wizzmerlin
Founding Member

I have had mine for 2 months now. I have scrube the left peg once. The only thing that happened was the peg vibrated under my foot and screeched a bit. The scrub didn't affect the handling at all though. I had a Magna before this bike and was worried a bit about the weight difference also. Believe me Honda has done a wonderful job with balancing and it rides and handles great. I have had the guts to put mine up to 145 mph so far and she was glued to the rode, but at that speed I was the one that need something to hold me down. The bike climbed to 145 like it was nothing and could go on even faster if I would have let it with ease. It got there very quickly too !!! You are going to love this bike, the Magna was a much sporter bike as far as handling but it had nothing on the VTX as far as Ride and power (RAW Brute Power).
Wizzmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:54 PM   #344
Beethoven
Founding Member

Dear Drag,

I was concerned too (there are three of these in the local showroom now and I am getting seriously interested -except for the lean angle). Thanks for your advice. I think I will get one!
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 05:35 AM   #345
dscollins15
Founding Member

I have had my VTX for 2 months now. (its black)

First, the pegs do drag when turning a lil aggressive. I do not feel and concern or danger when they hit because the spring action lets them bounce up nicely and remind you that you are not at daytona - take it a lil easier.

They weight is actually no problem at all. I am 6'2 220lbs but I have had friends who are 5'10 sit over the bike and they always are amazed at the balance. But they bike is heavy and when my wife gets fidgety on the back when I am in stopping in traffic you do notice the bike's weight.

But all in all, a great bike. I love it and it sounds great even with the stock pipes. Plus it eats up all of my friends cruisers.
dscollins15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:00 PM   #346
HANKWANG007
Founding Member

Default Re: SHOULD OF WAIT AND BUY A V ROD!!!

I JUST PUT $ DOWN ON THE V ROD, AND ALL THE ACCESSORIES IS ALREADY ON THE WEB AND FOR SALE, ACCESSORIES BOOK IS PRINTED, AND LOT OF THINGS YOU CAN DO TO CUSTOMIZE IT. THE FUNNIEST THING IS THE FIRST ONE OF THIS 2002 V ROD WON'T BE AVAL. TIL NOV 2001.

I BEEN LOOKING AT THE VTX FOR 2 MONTH, AND HONDA JUST DON'T HAVE THERE ACT TOGETHER(I HAD 2 HONDAS). AND ONE LOOK AT H-D WEBSITE, MADE ME A V ROD OWNER. MAY BE THAT'S WHY MORE OF THE 30 OR OLDER CROWD WITH $ HAVE JUMP TO H-D FROM HONDA.

I HOPE HONDA IS LISTENING, PLEASE GOTO H-D WEBSITE AND LEARN ABOUT MARKETING FOR THE FUTURE.

V ROD
HANKWANG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 09:31 AM   #347
gdbryan
Founding Member

From what I've read, Honda decided to go with the screw-type adjusters because the hydraulic lifters would have made the engine too tall to fit in the amount of room available. I'm not sure why they couldn't have done some small changes to make room since it was a clean-sheet design. Anyways, adjusting the valves every 8,000 miles doesn't seem too bad, I own a VW Karmann Ghia, and the owner's manual suggests adjusting the valves on it every 3,000!!
gdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 09:35 AM   #348
gdbryan
Founding Member

Default Re: SHOULD OF WAIT AND BUY A V ROD!!!

So why is it any better that you can buy the accessories 6 months before you can buy the bike?

Have fun sitting around admiring all of your chrome bits and pieces, while I enjoy riding around on my motorcycle. Ha-HA!
gdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 01:47 AM   #349
VTXTREM
Founding Member

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE BIKE, CHECK OUT MY TOTAL CUSTOM VERSION OF THE VTX..

VINCE

WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/VINCESVTXTREM
VTXTREM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2001, 03:29 PM   #350
VTXTREM
Founding Member

Default CUSTOM VTX

HEY ALL

Where are all you VTX riders, lets talk bikes. We have the best cruiser made.

VINCE
VTXTREM is offline   Reply With Quote