Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-04-2001, 03:20 PM   #321
chall8
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Just put down my deposit for a black VTX, which I'll have in July. I had a couple of questions for anyone who's actually ridden one:

First, under what conditions do the pegs really drag? There's been a lot of comments about it but noone really specifies whether it's during normal cruising (i.e. 50-60mph) or when taking turns more aggressively.

Second, how does the weight feel (is it noticable in parking lots, stoplights, etc)? I know it has a low center of gravity; my dealer said he was doing figure-8's in the parking lot on one, but since he wouldn't let me try the same I'm just curious. I'm currently a Magna owner so this will be a jump of over 200 pounds.

Thanks for any feedback/ideas!
chall8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2001, 04:09 PM   #322
BulletBob
Founding Member

Low speed handling is good, you only need to ride mildly aggressive to make the footpegs contact the pavement. On an earlier post I stated fuel mileage of 38 to 42, my last tank was 35 mpg. I have 700 miles on it now and am starting to ride it a little more aggressive which probably accounts for the fuel mileage drop. Anybody got any part numbers for the windshield or any other honda accessories ? Bm1327@aol.com Bob Louisville, Ky
BulletBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 08:30 PM   #323
chall8
Founding Member

Bob, thanks for the feedback. I've heard a couple people say that the first time they drug the pegs it scare the begeezus out of them! It was never an issue on the Magna, plenty of clearance. First time for everything I suppose...

Don't have any part numbers for the honda accessories, but I definitely want to pick up one of those detachable windshields, and maybe a backrest so the woman doesn't fall off. Will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again Chris chall8@houston.rr.com Houston, TX
Old 06-04-2001, 09:18 PM   #324
docc
Founding Member

..here is and oddity..I had a Silver VTX April 24 but wanted a Black...found a Black one 6/02 in Sierra Vista..south of Tucson...sold the Silver Friday 6/01. It was like cutting off my arm..no deposit just a DEALER'S WORD that I would have the Black the next day !! I was there just after they opened..no Black VTX on the floor !!! The dealer was having it detailed and polished for me...Cochise Motorsports..the finest folks I've met in the bike trade..The Silver had a splash gaurd type inlet in the tank. When you filled you put the nozzle in the circle..my Black has no such device..you can see the gas just sitting there...are there other's that have each or is one of mine a weirdo..The Silver had 1200 miles (smiles) on it when I sold it.....the Black now has 225....and oh by the way......It's the keeper !!
docc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 09:31 PM   #325
docc
Founding Member

..You have to be aggresive to touch down..the weight is very well disguised..figure 8's in the parking lot I don't know.. but it's all good on the road..I just got in 10:30..near full moon...out in the desert along the mountains..big rumble..massive thrust..low CG...good handling..you're goin' to go NUTS....I can't stay off this brute...who needs sleep..I'm riding to the office in the morning...riding in the evening...it should be illegal..........
Old 06-05-2001, 01:40 PM   #326
chall8
Founding Member

Doc, Thanks for the message. You've just described heaven to me. They tell me I have to wait until July to get this thing but I don't know if I can do it. I'm going nuts! Looking at the pictures and reading the articles again and again every day; but the pictures don't nearly do this bike justice. I'll definitely be putting 1000 miles on it the first week... just around town! Can't wait to take it on a longer trip.

What do you think of the sound? A lot of people are ragging on the pipes/sound. You getting the Cobra pipes?

Thanks,

Chris - Houston,TX
Old 06-06-2001, 01:51 PM   #327
BulletBob
Founding Member

What are your dealers charging you for the 600 mile" first service" ? I was told that they checked over my bike with no problems found and changed the oil and filter for $89.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:27 PM   #328
chall8
Founding Member

They charge $79 at the shop I go to here in Houston. I'm not even sure if that includes an oil change though.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:34 PM   #329
docc
Founding Member

..BulletBob.....do you have that splash gaurd type inlet in the tank ? My "old" silver VTX had it but my Black one does not..very unusual for Honda to have a change or error.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:16 PM   #330
BulletBob
Founding Member

I have an open filler neck, meaning that I dont see anything other than the metal of the tank, I do not see anything that I would consider a splash guard.