Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-30-2001, 03:21 PM   #311
Kevin38
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

I saw one up front close and personal.....can only offer one word to describe it....

FUGLY.

Its got pipes on it the size of my Kenworth's....Under shocked on the rear....Either not enough real chrome or too much.....If I want a bike I cant stand to drive more then up to the local bar to tye yet another bringer on I'll buy a Real one......the Harley.

Sometimes bigger isnt better. For my money I'd take The Valkrey..

Try again Honda,this one isnt up to your ussual high standards.
Kevin38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2001, 05:46 AM   #312
VTX1800MAN
Founding Member

I have had my VTX for two weeks now and love the hell out of it. I also have been looking for accessories. I still have not found anything for it, except that vance and hines makes an exhaust for it. I am curious as to how long it takes Honda to update their accessories web site to include the VTX.
VTX1800MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 05:48 AM   #313
VTX1800MAN
Founding Member

You have got to be kidding! Stick with the Harley then.
VTX1800MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:44 PM   #314
chall8
Founding Member

You're the only one on the entire Internet that's said the VTX is ugly.

Too quiet? Funny 2-in-1 pipe? Under shocked on the rear? Pegs drag too easily? Yeah, I can buy all that. But ugly?!

To each his own, I suppose. Enjoy your Harley.
chall8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 06:52 PM   #315
chall8
Founding Member

Hey bud, congrats on the purchase! Just put my deposit down for a black one which my dealer says I'll have in late June. I'm chomping at the bit! I was just wondering if your dealer ever resolved that buzzing from the headlight? Did you ever figure out the source? If so I'm going to ask my dealer to take care of it up front.

Thanks and take care!
Old 06-01-2001, 07:12 PM   #316
chall8
Founding Member

Amen brotha! I'll be honest, I'm a proud American and upon purchasing my first bike almost let myself get caught up in all the H-D "US vs. the World" bs. Then I came back to reality: H-D gets parts from all over the world and puts them on their bikes. Honda makes their bikes in Ohio.

Like you said, the important thing is to respect the sport, regardless of what you're riding, b/c it truly is a "spiritual awakening". If you own a bike then you're in a minority. And only if you're a member of this minority can you understand why you take the risk, why you ignore the statistics and rush to climb on that horse any chance you get. When I'm on the road and see another biker, I don't care what they're riding. I just appreciate the fact that there's another soul who feels like I do, who knows what it's about, who knows that indescribable feeling when you crank it up. That's what it's about, not who made the dang bike!
Old 06-01-2001, 07:14 PM   #317
chall8
Founding Member

How much do the pipes go for? I've got my deposit down and will pick up my black VTX at the end of the month. I can't wait. But I've heard a lot of negative about the stock 2-in-1 and so was just curious..
Old 06-03-2001, 10:15 AM   #318
BigGit
Founding Member

<blockquote> Sometimes bigger isnt better. For my money I'd take The Valkrey sic</blockquote>

Two statements I agree with. But IMO the VTX isn't ugly, just too bloody BIG!

One other thing: Why does this new bike with a brand new engine not have hydraulic lifters like Harleys and the Honda Nighthawk? Screw-type valve adjusters are only a plus when compared to the shim-under-bucket type.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 06:43 AM   #319
chall8
Founding Member

Is the dragging really that bad?! I've got my black VTX coming in July. I've read a lot about the pegs dragging but am still trying to figure out in what conditions. Like that other reader said, is this some "expert" rider taking the turn at 90 or a guy like me who just likes to cruise at 55-60.

Also, how's the weight? I'm 6'1" and 195 pounds should be able to handle it OK, but how's it in the parking lot, etc.

Thanks bud!
Old 06-04-2001, 07:00 AM   #320
chall8
Founding Member

Does anyone who's ridden the VTX have some feedback on how the pegs drag? In what conditions do they drag? Normal or aggressive turns?

Also, any feedback on the weight. I know it's heavy, but all the "expert" reviews say it's easy to handle b/c of the low center of gravity. My dealer said he was doing figure-8's in the parking lot with it. He would not let me try the same though, so any comments on this would be much appreciated!

(And I hope they're good comments b/c I ordered a black one without riding it!).