Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-20-2001, 07:36 AM   #301
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Jealous, I think not.

Me too! A GS500E or a Nighthawk 750! And bags and a bikini fairing! Or maybe a Skorpion Tour or Traveller...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2001, 07:52 AM   #302
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Make something different... hmm... isn't the Valkyrie different?

Honda made the VTX for one reason only: Everyone else had a V-Twin cruiser that was 1500 cc or bigger. They had the Valkyrie, but apparently "different" wasn't selling well enough. So they had to get a big twin, and they had to do it in a big way. As a result, Honda will probably leave the "different" Valkyrie by the wayside and hustle along with the V-Twin bandwagon. It sucks, but that's how it is.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:43 AM   #303
BigGit
Founding Member

Erm... the heavier the rider is, the slower the bike will be. That's why 6' 280 lb. fat gits like me will never be racing champions, no matter how good we may be at controlling our bikes. But it doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't have any fun with them...

And no, I don't have a sportbike. Nor do I have a cruiser or a big standard. What I do have is a 13 year old 200cc Honda standard, and it generally gets me where I'm going. As far as I care, 1800cc means "car".
Old 05-24-2001, 03:20 PM   #304
dragline37
Founding Member

Point well taken. I hope you never sell that 200! Sounds like y'all have a good thing going. However, I DO like to drag and haul my 260lb ass in a fast straight line. As previously stated, my VTX fulfills all my requirements for power AND comfort. Also, my lovely wife can join in the fun by riding along. I was just saying that there IS a market out there for the VTX (larger riders who want to go fast in comfort).
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 03:23 PM   #305
dragline37
Founding Member

Well put. Nevertheless, the VTX is a nice ride.
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 07:37 AM   #306
VTX1800MAN
Founding Member

I would like to say hey to everyone and also would like to say that I bought my VTX this past monday. Illusion Blue and it is sitting at home right now waiting for me. I bought it without driving it. It looked awesome sitting there. I was going to get the HD Night Train. I made the right decision. This bike does kick some serious ass. I am a die hard Motocrosser and became too old for that life style. I am extremely happy with this bike and it does get plenty of attention. I must admit that I LOVE IT!...
VTX1800MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 05:31 AM   #307
BulletBob
Founding Member

I have had my red VTX for 3 weeks now,and have ridden 600 miles. Fuel mileage has been 38.6mpg to 42.2 mpg. The low fuel light has come on at 116 to 124 miles on every tank and yes you do have to hold the bike level to get the gas tank full. The rear suspension is stiff,otherwise I like the ride and handling.I dont particularly like the look or sound of the exhaust, not that I want it loud, just would like a little more sound and think that a set of Longshot pipes would give it the look I want. I used plastic tie straps to mount the throttle cable, to keep it from sticking out so far away from the handlebar and rattling against the headlight at speed. Does any know part numbers or prices for the Hondaline accessories for the VTX ? My dealer does not have any info yet. I have never been brand loyal to any product, but I have owned bikes from all 4 of the Japanese brands and had good luck with all, and dont expect any less from this one.
BulletBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 11:58 AM   #308
BulletBob
Founding Member

I have had my Red VTX for 3 weeks now. The fuel mileage has been 38.6 to 42.2 and yes I do have to hold the bike level to get the gas tank full. The low fuel light has come on between 116 and 124 miles. The rear suspension is a little stiff, other than that I like the ride and handling. I put some plastic tie straps on the throttle cable, so that it did not stick out so far from the handlebars and rattle against the headlight at speed. I dont particularly like the look or sound of the exhaust, not that I want it loud, but I would like a little more sound and I like the look of the(not yet available) Vance & Hines BigShots. I removed the rear passenger seat and replaced the OEM mirrors with Ness mirrrors. I have never been "brand" loyal to any product, have owned bikes from all four of the japanese,have had good luck with all and dont expect any less of my new VTX. Does anyone have part numbers or prices for any accessories? Bm1327@aol.com Bob from Louisville, Ky
BulletBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 07:11 PM   #309
docc
Founding Member

..I have riden many bikes over the years..some impressive..most uninteresting. I now own a Black Vtx..I am thrilled every time I mount the beast. The deep rumble..the thrust..damn I'm in love. The headlight buzz appears to be from the seem joint running along the lower side of the unit. I think it should be easy to eliminate. The pipes look like coffee cans welded together and chromed but don't bother me..twist the right hand and all else fades. The mirrors will go but...crusing out near the mountains here in Tucson..listening to that big twin rumble...damn..gotta go ride again.........
docc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 07:35 PM   #310
DCC
Founding Member

Picked up my Black VTX on Friday for $800 below MSRP. Broke it in over Memorial Day weekend. The sound is good, but too quiet (I may go for the V&H BigShots); the power is great (like the '97 Magna I just sold, but much better torque); and it looks fantastic and gets lots of attention. The roll-on acceleration is amazing in any gear. I have learned to be smooth with the throttle because of the tremendous torque. A couple of times when I wasn't smooth with the throttle, it felt like the bike would leap out of my hands. It is definitely a keeper. I can't wait to get back out and ride...
DCC is offline   Reply With Quote