Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-09-2001, 01:17 PM   #291
dragline37
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Did your mpg improve any as you broke her in? I'm still only getting about 22mpg. Maybe gas burns faster up here in North Dakota LOL! And you are absolutely correct... that IS one fine machine! I just moved up here last July and I definitely miss the year round riding weather we had down in Tampa! I enjoyed a '93 Magna down there. That's another "fine machine".
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2001, 11:41 AM   #292
WarlordVTX
Founding Member

Just went another 128.1 miles and took 3.26 gals. The low fuel light came on at 127 miles. Thats 39.3 mpg. When I put fuel in the VTX I sit on it and keep the bike level, old Intruder 1400 trick. This way it fills up to the top with no bubbles. Bike has almost 500 miles on it. The VTX is just breakin in and runs needless to say strong, very strong. I am very glad I bought this bike. Almost went with a softtail deuce.....thats a great bike also, but this VTX is sitting on a higher level of engineering. It is something else to experience, been riding now over 38 years and besides my 50 cc tohatsu when I was 14, this VTX is one heck of a machine.
WarlordVTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 06:34 PM   #293
dragline37
Founding Member

Thanks Warlord. I'll try sitting on it while filling up. If that doesn't do it it's back to Jenny Craig for me!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:29 PM   #294
dragline37
Founding Member

If you touch those "fake fins" after some serious riding, you'll burn your hand! By the way, only the upper halves of the cylinders are liquid cooled. I guess that must mean that the lower halves are... yep! You guessed it! Air cooled. "Fake fins"? I don't think so. So get the facts straight or shut up.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:03 AM   #295
BigGit
Founding Member

*ahem*

While you were looking the other way, Kawasaki has taken retro in a whole new direction. First of all, it started to look to the OTHER historic American bike for inspiration, creating the Drifter 1500 and 800 along the lines of the (real) Indian Chief and Scout. Then it went to its own history, evoking its glory days with Eddie Lawson with the ZRX1100, updating it in a year or two to the ZRX1200 (and for those who scream that ZRX1100 owners are screwed with spare parts issues, remember that most of the ZRX1100 engine is interchangeable with the ZX11 engine...). It realized that the people who want a modern interpretation of a '60s Britbike weren't only in Japan and Europe and brought the W650 to America. Finally, it brought out the ZR-7, and suddenly the Nighthawk isn't alone in the 750 cc UJM market!

If Kawasaki is dying, will someone please give some of the poison to Honda and Yamaha!

BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 06:22 AM   #296
BigGit
Founding Member

I ride to get where I'm going.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:37 AM   #297
BigGit
Founding Member

Well, folks, here I am, looking at my Timex Expedition with date, stopwatch, timer, alarm, that lost about eleven seconds in six weeks until I set it yesterday. Yes, it does look like a copy... of a Casio. But it works reliably and well, and I would rather have it than a Rolex. Granted, I'd rather have the Timex Ironman I had earlier and lost.

Unlike Rolex, H-D has been evolving. The Evo and the TC are far from being the reliability disaster the Shovel was.

I am not into cruisers or sportbikes. I like standards. I have an old 200cc Honda twin, and it gets me where I'm going, although more than an hour in the saddle is a real pain in the a**, literally.

If I were to buy a new Honda in America today, it'd be a Nighthawk 750. A new Harley? XL1200S. But I'd go for a GS500E or a Skorpion Tour instead of either of these.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:49 AM   #298
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Towing

<blockquote>Are you planning to tow anything with the bike? </blockquote>

Well, someone might tow his Hummer 165 or Aermacchi Sprint to Sturgis on one... Naw, they'd probably use an Electra-Glide to tow that...

More seriously, they'd tow camping equipment, the way E-Glide and GoldWing riders do now...
Old 05-20-2001, 07:09 AM   #299
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: 2-wheel(ed) SAAb?

The only bike made by a major manufacturer that I can think of in terms of SAAb (Svenska Aeroplan Atkiebolaget) is the Honda PC800: practical, innovative, and extremely strange...
Old 05-20-2001, 07:17 AM   #300
BigGit
Founding Member

Yes.