Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-23-2001, 10:08 AM   #251
Full_Throttle
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Well for those of you who have not rode one of these beast yet, let me fill you in. I test drove one April 20, 2001. This bike is one of those bikes you can look at and be just as happy as getting on one. Alot of people where standing around at the sled the three days I went into examine one. One word describes the bike AWSOME! When you crank one up you hear a very deep thud thud thud. When your on it you can read a book in the rear view mirror while she is idling. No vibration what so ever. The reason is Honda has balanced the motor internally and extrernally through parts and techology. When I took her out on the road you immediatley knew she wants to run. Let out the clutch and your doing 5-10mph. I took her up to 3rd gear and slowed down, I wanted to see if I could bog it down. I wicked the throttle about halve way and brought the bike to life with it actually rising up from the pavementLooking down at the speedo 90+. You can feel the pounding in your chest and look in the mirror and see a big smile. I backed her off it was all I needed to go back and put down a deposit. The bottom line this baby looks damn good and will scoot. I would doubt if any other stock V Twin will touch you except for the V-Max. She is well worth the 12,500 I will be paying for it. It comes in in 2 weeks. Note Honda is limiting production on these bikes so if you have a chance grab one. If I did not get this one, I could not get one for 3 months.
Full_Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2001, 01:04 AM   #252
RKP
Founding Member

Have you picked up your VTX? Got my Illusion Blue VTX 4/24.

Of all the bikes I've owned, I like this one the best! It puts a grin on your face every time you ride it.

Tons of power, quick for it's size, handles nice and it's super smooth for the displacement.

This one is a keeper!
RKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 04:12 PM   #253
JimCycle
Founding Member

I sat on the bike - it is great. I almost got a hernia taling it off the stand. I agree with you, LEAN ANGLE should be included in every test. I would like to know if I would scrape the pegs everytime I take a cornner or is the scrape the result of a tester with racing experience and his knee touching the ground.
JimCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:06 PM   #254
dragline37
Founding Member

Picked up my illusion red last week. I agree with both of you. I previously owned a 750 Magna. That too is one helluva bike! You can't compare the two though. They are two entirely different approaches. The reason I bought the VTX is that I've always wanted the v-twin character but have always found them lacking in power. At 6'1'' and 255 lbs I needed a biger bike than the magna. The VTX delivers everything I've been waiting for. It is pricey but even though I make a damned nice salary, I can't bring myself to pay so much for a HD. I think the VTX is a better bargain. I don't care what anyone thinks, I just want to ride.
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:13 PM   #255
dragline37
Founding Member

RKP,

Have you noticed a buzzing noise coming from your front end? I can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from on my VTX. I couldn't agree more with your comments. You simply CANNOT ride this bike and not grin so wide that the top of your head falls off! My only complaint thus far is that it's alittle too easy to scrub the footpegs when you're really gettin' on it!
dragline37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 07:39 PM   #256
BigBoreV4
Founding Member

wanted more power than the 750 magna? There are plenty of beautifully kept V65 Magnas out there that will blast the tires off most any other bike. Many muscle cars and modern sport bikes don't know what to make of my black rocket...and you still get great insurance rates as a "cruiser". Oh yeah...the VTX I'll probably see putt-putt on the highway as I cruise on by.
BigBoreV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 06:22 AM   #257
gdbryan
Founding Member

I too was initially put off by the VTX's heft, but now with a couple of weeks of riding around town, and on the highway, I really don't notice it. For such a large bike, it really has a low center of gravity, and with the low seat height, even short riders can flat foot it at stop lights. Just be careful about parking it against a curb, facing down hill, it takes a bit of muscle to back that sucker up!! I've put about 500 miles on it so far, and I love it. I'm itching to pull the baffles out of that fat pipe, and see how it sounds. A Corbin solo saddle is on order, as well.
gdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 06:32 AM   #258
gdbryan
Founding Member

If your friends are getting outgunned by Intruder 800's, either their magnas are severely out of tune, or they need riding lessons. I have ridden both bikes, back to back, and the 800 is a DOG compared to the Magna 750. I actually considered the Magna, but my best friend already has one, so I wanted something different. As for people who question the VTX's abilities, remember that it is a CRUISER, not a VMAX wannabe. It is excellent at doing exactly what it was designed for, looking cool as hell, and providing serious torque at any speed.
Old 05-02-2001, 06:35 AM   #259
gdbryan
Founding Member

Default Re: Two Observations on VTX 1800

Check out Cobra's website, they have shotgun, straight, upswept, and slashcut pipes for the VTX now.
Old 05-02-2001, 06:44 AM   #260
gdbryan
Founding Member

Default Re: Two Observations on VTX 1800

You obviously haven't ridden a VTX yet. No, it's not going to keep up with a 600cc crotch rocket in the twisties, but it will get around the corners just fine, as soon as you get done scraping off the footpegs. As far as the HD comparo, I can't tell if you're knocking either, or both bikes, but for the price of the VTX, I couldn't get close to a big Harley, plus the VTX looks a hell of a lot better, has triple discs, shaft drive, mag wheels, and a better riding position. Don't forget power. Cruising might not be about speed, but it's nice to know it's there, when you're riding two up, trying to pass a truck on a hill.

With the VTX, you drop it a gear (if you feel like it), and roll on the throttle, no muss, no fuss. you don't get that with a HD, and try to convince your girlfriend to go on a two hundred mile ride sittin' on the back of a GSXR or CBR.