Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-03-2001, 03:35 AM   #241
Syncity
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

I like the Honda's technology and its looks. I could probably sell my 2000 H-D FXD, get the VTX with its superior performance and save 3 grand. But, don't get me wrong I still love Harleys. I love all bikes as well. I suspect this 1800cc VTX is the result of Honda's own intellegence efforts at H-D. And Honda wants to be first to market to negate future loss of "cruiser" market share.

I've heard rumors (from a friend that works at HD) that Harley currently has a bike on the test track that will "revolutionize" the big twin. Hmmmmm, maybe a fuel-injected 2000cc, 6 speed, with 150 hp at the wheel. Jeeze, if that happens it would be hard to give away one of these VTX's.
Syncity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2001, 04:42 AM   #242
Brutus57
Founding Member

I don't see H-D being able to squeeze 150 HP out of a 2000 CC motor if all Honda can get with their superior engineering is 106 HP on 1800 CCs. From all the rumors it does appear HD will have a liquid cooled motor soon. I expect Honda will do just fine with this Hot Rod. And Harley may or may not try to compete with it's performance. Anybody know what HD claims HP output on the Screamin Eagle Road Glide is?
Brutus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 04:34 AM   #243
ImRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly seams around the tank.

I don't think a radiator must be hidden, but I would like it's lines blended into the lines of the bike.

The stock Honda's have them stuck on the front of the fame and look very SQUARE. This detracts from the lines of all their bikes. The way they look, they almost seem like an afterthought. You would think that they would blend them in better.

If you see their "T2" concept bike, you can see how the lines of a radiator can be blended in better.

If they would widen the down tubes of the front of the frame, they could simply place the radiator between them and it would look better. Or a bit of moulding or cowling will help to blend the lines.

I also think they could move the seams of the tank 'inward' towards the center of the tank. This would make them invisible to the outside of the bike and not change their manufacturing methods. So there would be no increase in cost, but it would look a LOT better.

I wonder if they will ever do this?

The VTX would have no 'flaws' if these things were done on this bike. Yes, everyone may not like the looks, but styling is different than flaws.

ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 10:16 AM   #244
MrNasty
Founding Member

Default Re: Flame Warz

Gotta agree..I was a salesman at a dealer that sold Harley, Honda, and Suzuki. I have seen the difference between Japanese and Harley buyers. A fair portion of HD buyers are "Instant Outlaws" and are more concerned with image than substance. One individual in particular grew a goatee(sp?), got his ear peirced, got a tattoo, and loaded his closet with a herd of dead bovine; all within a month of buying a Fatboy. This guy actually told another customer in the dealership who was looking at Shadow to buy a real bike. I don't believe this type of HD buyer is indicative of riders who would bother to post on MO, but is the typical buyer who drops well over 20k for a bike that should sell for 15k. HDs are a unique riding experience, which is part of the sales pitch. Japanese manufacturers have been trying to mimic some of this. Look at the evolution of the 1100 Shadow. Honda detuned the engine to make it more Harleyesque, but is still not stealing away someone hypnotized by the Harley mystique. The VTX is not going to steal HD customers, but give an option to those who like cruisers, but are still interested in some level of performance. I do like HD's but will buy either the Valk or the VTX because I plan on riding and am not concerned about impressing non riders or those with elitist attitudes about bike of choice.
MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2001, 05:50 AM   #245
PanDan
Founding Member

Default Re: What about those pipes?

Pipes are probably one of the first "bolt on" changes most riders do in order to make their new bike unique. My local dealer is supposed to get in 3 vtx's today and I'll be there. I'm going to talk him into a test ride.
PanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2001, 04:28 PM   #246
VTX-1
Founding Member

The "blue" VTX came in yesterday and I had it if I wanted it. It was beautiful but the blue was purple in the Showroom and when they let me take it outside to sit on it and look it over in the sunlight the predominate color when the clouds covered the sun was still purple. I told the dealer I'll wait for the black one. It was the hardest decision I had to make in awhile since I could have driven it home that night. The silver one is coming in next with the black one due in the 3rd week of May. Did your bike come in yet?
VTX-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 04:20 PM   #247
bentvalve
Founding Member

Right on Bro. Over the last thirty years I have owned and ridden every Japenese brand along with Harleys. It really doesn't matter. Every scooter has it's own personality. I love them all...
bentvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 01:01 AM   #248
vtx1800c
Founding Member

Well, I heard one run yesterday and will be picking it up today.

I must say that it is probably the "best" sounding bike I have heard in a while. I like the sound of it (with stick pipe) better than my Fatboy with V&H Dual Classic Exhaust.

Much more of a deeper and clean thud than the raspy bark of the H-D's. About the only thing I can relate it to is a similar tone to my 2K Camaro SS w/ LS-1 350. Very respectable. Nice even pounding without being obnoxious. You truly know this thing means business by simply rolling the throttle on a bit. That is what sold me on it, V-twin sound. Not like the anemic wanna-be's that have been coming out of Japan for the past few years (Vulcan, Shadow, Intruder, etc.)

Have yet to ride it, though. I will keep my Fatboy, a wonderful bike to ride, until I know for sure that the VTX is for me.

I'll post my impression of the handling, etc at a later date.
vtx1800c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 06:16 AM   #249
LadyHusqvarna
Founding Member

Default Re: Flame Warz

I agree! The people that ride Harley And the people that ride Honda are apples and oranges too. I have a VTX and I love it. The color looks more purple than blue. (not a problem) I did not buy it for the color. I bought it for the V Twin Bad to the bone engine. My brother has 3 Harleys and he loves the motor on this bike and wishes Harley would step it up on motors. (Not the Screming Eagle, Its a dog co

mpared to his sisters bike) HAHA lADYhUSQVARNA
LadyHusqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2001, 09:18 AM   #250
martyc
Founding Member

Default Re: Range

I have gotten around 120 miles on my first 3 tanks of gas before the reserve light comes on. That leaves 0.79 gallons to get to a station. I'm getting around 35 miles per gallon so far.
martyc is offline   Reply With Quote