Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-14-2001, 08:13 AM   #221
intruderman
Founding Member

Default I totally agree

I'm "down with ya", starvingstudent. I can't believe all the morons out there who put "style" (read: retro) ahead of substance. Most cruisers handle and corner so poorly, that all they're good for is posing in front of and going 45 mph in a straight line on your way to Sturgis. Suzuki made a "standard" called the VX800 which sold in the U.S. (rather poorly, I might add) between 1990 and 1993. It had the intruder 800 V-twin engine in a standard frame. I rode one for about a month, but the seller couldn't come up with the title so I got my money back. Eventually I am going to get another one.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2001, 08:19 AM   #222
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Jealous, I think not.

Hey, I swear to you by all that is holy, if someone gave me a VTX, I would sell the next day and get something else.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 06:40 PM   #223
XS
Founding Member

Default What???

Well I am no teenager and I do drive a Boxster S, but I have no idea what you mean with "floorboard carpet lights". The closest thing I could find where the door mounted lights and I find no problem with them. Now if your problem is that you didn't find "floorboard carpet lights" or whatever silly interior lights you were looking for and that deterred you from buying a real car... I feel sorry for you. Enjoy your "ultimate driving machine", I hope it has enough interior lights to help you find your brains.

Piece of advice: next time you are interested in a car, don't just look at it, DRIVE IT. That's what we drivers do.

Oops! It just ocurred to me that you may be an old lady worried that there may not be enough light to iluminate the carpet and find her spectacles while taking a freeway exit. Good luck to you and God help us all when you are out on the road scanning your carpet...
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:23 AM   #224
Beethoven
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

I couldn't agree more. May-be reviews should give a minimum turning radius at specific speeds too - take the bike to a parking lot and measure the turn at 30 and then 60 mph. I know there are variables but at least we would have some comparison - and while I am on the soapbox - why are there no braking figures? "Adequate brakes for a cruiser" What does that mean? How many feet does it take to stop from 60 mph solo? With a passenger? (use a bolt on weight for consistency). If figures are published the manufacturers will soon catch on and produce bikes that can turn and stop. At any rate it is nice to see a cruiser with what looks like good brakes. If only it didn't have that silly exhaust pipe and cheezy headlight. Reminds me of the curly-cue wheels on the early Viragos.

They ain't got no couth - my 2 cents at any rate.
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:32 AM   #225
Beethoven
Founding Member

I think I will copy that phrase and leave it where I can read it during the winter when I need cheering up! Well said!
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:46 PM   #226
purlear
Founding Member

Default Re: What about those pipes?

I agree. That's why I changed the pipes to a set of Vance and Hines Long Shots.

Looks and sounds much better.

[However, leave the baffles in. It allows for better performance of the fuel injection system.]
purlear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:54 AM   #227
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: What???

You're assuming I didn't drive any roadsters before buying one (wrong) yet YOU are obviously the one who didn't do his/her research before buying since you don't know what's "truly amazing" about the floorboard lights.

I did quite a bit of research and test drives before deciding the Boxster is not the car I wanted. To me the Boxster sounds like a hard drive that's about to crash (appropo since then the engines were experiencing an outrageous number of failures at that time) and it's not much fun to drive after experiencing a "real" Porsche even if it was a friend's not my own. On top of that, the way they price options is a rip-off as if the car weren't overpriced for what you're getting to begin with. What's "truly amazing" about those floorboard lights is that they cost $700 for barely more than a couple of light bulbs when the wiring harness is already there!!! All those factors (especially the frequent engine failures which they have since fixed but putting in an entirely different engine) turned me off bigtime. To me the Boxster was just a cheap shot to milk yuppies who want to buy into the Porsche name without paying the full price.

IF you actually are a Boxster owner you are the first one I've met who isn't aware of the amazing $700 floorboard lights. Even the most die-hard Boxster fans think their option pricing is ridiculous because well, it is. Maybe you bought used or something (hope for your sake it's got plenty of warranty --my research revealed engine exchange costs $15K if it's on your "dime.") Anyway, enjoy your car. It's just not for me.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 08:40 AM   #228
XS
Founding Member

Default Point taken

Granted. Some of the options come at ridiculous prices, but that also holds true for BMW.

The thing about buying a car they build for you is that you get to choose *exactly* what you want. I didn't even looked at silly options like the floorboard lights... I couldn't care less about the price. The options I went for were the sports package and the traction control. There you have a pure sports car. Great engine (that doesn't go poof according to my research on reliability reports, comments from many other owners and personal experience), beatiful sounds and perfect chassis.

In many ways the Boxster (in particular the Boxster S) is more of a REAL Porsche than the bigger heavier models. Light, agile and racy. But that's a different story.

True, it may not be the car for you (I realized that very soon), but don't be bitter because you cannot afford one and you have very little taste when it comes to sports cars.

Shouldn't we be discussing motorcycles, anyway?
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:21 PM   #229
TCAir
Founding Member

There's a man that likes almost everything!

TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:31 PM   #230
TCAir
Founding Member

Well put,

here is you one I like to keep reminding my sportbike and cruiser riding friends.

"I ride for me."

'nuff said
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote