Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-11-2001, 02:14 PM   #211
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

"...why do you ride? I do because it gives me a spiritual awakening that is like no other on this earth. The best Bike? Easy. It is whatever I happen to be going down the road on. . ."

The best expression I've ever come across.

Can't disagree.

Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2001, 10:32 AM   #212
XS
Founding Member

Default Re: Since you started it...

Nevermind. The Boxster is a real Porsche and you started the performance topic. The extra 20K are worth it in handling, quality, sex-appeal, better engine, heritage... and yes not only I enjoy a finer and higher performing car, I also look better in my car than you, looser.
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 04:52 AM   #213
JonE
Founding Member

Like so many crusiers, this one looks great from many angles and is certainly something I'll be lining up to ride at the "Hoot". Still, I wish Honda would devote more energy towards twins that are well

rounded---say, an RC-51 with VFR ergos.

Cruisers, especially the tricked out examples seen in ads, offer both eye candy and a very pleasing sound. But, every time I go out, either an errand, for a day ride or head out on a tour, I look toward my cycle. ItÂ’s something I ride every chance I get. A cruiser, while very interesting, just doesn't hack it for me for handling and long-term comfort. I loved my VFR, but the "whistle" of the straight cut gears was very irritating. I've seriously considered the VTR, but why should I pay for so many fixes. The RC-51 with VFR ergos, softer suspension and smooth throttle response would be my idea of a V-twin from heaven. The VTX is rad, but bigger, heavier and laid back leave out too many of the positive dimentions of this great sport.
JonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 07:00 AM   #214
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Keep telling yourself that...

and perhaps you do look better (wouldn't have any idea since don't know what you look like). However, if you need a car to achieve "sex-appeal" I'd bet you don't have much of it yourself.

I actually looked at a (non-S) Boxster and do like many things about the car, but some other things turned me off. Just to verify that you actually DO have one and aren't some teenage wannabe troll (which I suspect you are) please describe what is truly amazing about the floorboard carpet lights. If you actually have a Boxster you will almost certainly know what I'm talking about.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 03:49 PM   #215
VTX-1
Founding Member

I also decided to put my deposit down (3/13/01) after reading MO and checking out the Daytona photos at http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/richinnh.

I went to a dealer on Saturday and they had a black one coming in first but they wouldn't move on the list price. I called back today and someone had already put a deposit down on it. I went to another dealer and they knocked $225 off the list price so they got my business. The bad news is their first VTX will be a blue one with the black one coming in late April/early May. Can't wait!
VTX-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 02:32 AM   #216
ImRich
Founding Member

I guess I agree with you. I was torn between looking at the new GoldWing and the VTX.

The GW seems like too much bike to take out for a fun easy ride around town. The VTX will be easy to ride but lack some extra carrying space.

I think the VTX with some easy to clip on/off luggage would be an easy compromise. Style and function.

I saw the VTX and Daytona, it looks like Honda is starting to get it as they designed the windshield to be easy to get on/off with clamps. (see my pictures of it at http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/richinnh). If they did the same thing with the backrest/luggage carrier it would be great! I didn't look closely enough at the mounts of that to be sure.

Yes, this isn't a sport bike, nor a touring bike. It's a cruiser.

To me, a cruiser is something that has style and is somewhat customisable.

I purposely stay away from sport bikes (and similar) to keep me from riding too aggressively. With a cruiser I'm a bit limited.
ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 04:47 AM   #217
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly seams around the tank.

I agree about the radiator as well. These are two IMPORTANT styling elements in a cruiser. These are also reasons that the Kawasaki cruisers look so much better than all the Japanese competition IMHO. The only except is the Road Star - that motor is just so beautiful it makes up for the seam - and no radiator is better than a hidden one.

Honda crusers have always looked fairly ugly to me with the exception of the V4 Magna which was OK and the Valkyrie which gains so many points for originality.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 07:40 AM   #218
intruderman
Founding Member

Default What about those pipes?

Am I the only one who thinks that two-into-one pipe doesn't go with the rest of the bike? Dare I say it's UGLY! Reminds me of a big ol' piece of chromed PVC pipe sticking out. However I applaud Honda for not going with the retro look.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 07:50 AM   #219
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Don

I'm constantly amazed at people who overlook the Intruder because of its "80's styling". I guess I'm a dinosaur because I prefer the "80's styling". What is the styling of most of today's cruisers? Answer: copy of the 1940's, the "retro" look. The way I look at it, in a few years, the 80's style is going to become the popular "retro" look. The fact is, the Intruder 1400 has more performance, is more comfortable, is more reliable, and is BETTER LOOKING than any of the phony retro cruisers coming out today. The ONLY thing I like about the VTX is that it is not ONE MORE retro wannabe. So you posers enjoy your rides, cause I'm enjoying mine!
Old 03-14-2001, 08:03 AM   #220
intruderman
Founding Member

Default who cares what HD riders think?

The Harley lovers that I've talked to are incapable of rational thought. They are so in love with the "mystique" that they don't realize how badly their HD dealer is ripping them off. They can sneer all they want at "rice" bikes, but I couldn't care less. I'm ecstatic with my ride and I saved about $10,000.