Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-07-2001, 10:03 PM   #201
XS
Founding Member

Default Re: Since you started it...

I guess you don't like the Boxster S and the dirt in leaves in your eyes...
XS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2001, 05:43 AM   #202
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

The Swiss watch industry knows what you are talking about.

I think the same sort of thing attracts people to a Harley as attracts people to expensive mechanical Swiss watches. The way the mechanism is linked to the past. How it is linked to a simpler time. For instance, a really good (made in Japan) Seiko quartz watch can be bought for around $100.00 It uses computer technology to keep time with incredible accuracy. It will keep time within 15 sec per month and require only a new battery ($3.00) every 3 years. The least expensive Rolex cost $2,000.00 and will gain or loose about 5 min per month. It also has to be overhauled every 5 yrs or so at a cost of at least $500.00. EXPLAIN THE LOGIC behind this!

The modern Harley is about as reliable as it can be, given the design of the engine ( dry sump air cooled ) The current twincam 88 is still just a modern Knuckle Head. Just like the guts of a new Rolex arn't much different than one made in the 1930's. The old technology Harley keeps refining is the very reason people place such a high value on their product. It links them to the past in a way no other product can do. If Harley were to cut its ties with past designs and go say would anybody buy them?

sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 06:22 AM   #203
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Read about this bike in Crusier Mag this month. Looks like some interesting tech. Will take me a while to get use to the looks though. It's origonal that's for sure.

party hard.........................ride sober

sLOWrIDE
Old 03-08-2001, 06:32 AM   #204
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Default Re: This bike is just more of the same

You might consider a Harley Dyna Super Glide as well. 612 lbs. twin cam 88 rubber mount. MSR $11,470.00
Old 03-08-2001, 07:11 AM   #205
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Since you started it...

Doesn't bother me if a Pozter S can outrun my car. After all, they paid at least $20,000 more for it so I would hope so! Roadsters are not about being the fastest on the block anyway --unless you happen to be a complete idiot (pay attention son: an inept squid on a $12K motorcycle can blow any mass-produced sports car so far into the weeds it'll need a compass to get out --so it doesn't make much sense to buy one strictly on the basis of "fastest" now does it?)
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2001, 11:52 AM   #206
ImRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Ugly seams around the tank.

I Have to agree about the tank seams.

I think Honda could do ONE of TWO things:

1) Either angle the seams horizontally inwards towards the center of the bike so they are not visible from the exterior (side or top view).

or

2) Do NOT use external seams at all. All major manufacturer's have done away with tank seams for some time now.

Cruiser's like this are all about looks and style. That tank seam just screams "get rid of me, I'm ulgly".

I also think they should do a better job of blending in the lines of the radiator. They could have either widend the down tubes of the frame to place the radiator between them, or come up with a different shaped mount which would blend the lines of the radiator into the frame so it didn't stick out like a square wart.

These are the only two complaints I have on this bike (and the other Honda cruisers).

I took a lot of pictures of the VTX at daytona. See y42.photos.yahoo.com/richinnh and select "Honda VTX in Daytona"

ImRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:40 AM   #207
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

I think it's more like choosing reasonable comfort over radical performance.
Old 03-09-2001, 03:52 AM   #208
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

I do so totally aggree with you on your comments about the Valk. It is the ONLY metric cruister HD rider give any respect to. Cruiser riders are more like a little CULT than the other biker types. They view there bikes as an expression of themselves. They like to personalize there rides to extremes. HD caters to this like no other company. They sell you the bike and then they give you a catalog the size of an old Sears, full of accessories. MetriHarleyLookAlikes don't cut it with this crowd. The Valk, on the other hand, claimes its own territory. I think Honda should work at improving the Valk.

party hard..............ride safe
Old 03-09-2001, 11:47 AM   #209
JimClement
Founding Member

Funny, I always thought it more important to maintain faith with myself than with any particular product the advertisers want to overcharge for. Having said that, I have owned four HOGS in the last 12 years - 1989 XLH, 1993 FXDWG, and 2 1997 FLHR's. Since 1973, I have also owned 4 Honda's, 1 BMW, 1 Laverda. Thinking my next ride would be another Beemer, but the VTX is one I will have to test ride before making the final decision. I am quite tired of being overcharged for obsolete technology. And everytime I hear the "Harley is the only American bike. . ." line of thinking, I get a real chuckle. HOG riders out there, check out where 50% of your bike comes from! Showa Forks, Kehnin carburetors, Dunlop Tires! And chrome from Taiwan. Putting the brand superiority arguments aside for the moment -- why do you ride? I do because it gives me a spiritual awakening that is like no other on this earth. The best Bike? Easy. It is whatever I happen to be going down the road on. . .
JimClement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 03:01 PM   #210
Alan
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general... BUT...

RC45
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote