Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-03-2001, 08:23 PM   #181
Larry
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

The Victory V92SC weighs 700 lbs, a Road King or Nomad closer to 750. Is a 700 lb motorcycle so shocking to you?
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2001, 08:38 PM   #182
Larry
Founding Member

The price is a let-down for me. If this bike was 10.5K, I'd go buy one. Being priced up there with HD, Vic, etc. isn't going to help sales. I could be riding a FXST, FXD, Nomad, or full blown tourer for the same price.

I like that it's NOT styled after HD and goes it's own way in looks. (Road Stars are great, but such a blatant HD ripoff)
Old 03-04-2001, 05:07 AM   #183
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh, I feel so sorry for him...

Yes I agree motorcycles sales, especially big-bore cruisers, have become more profitable in general the last few years as empty-nest boomers have money to buy expensive ones. This attracts opportunists both among dealers and startup companies that won't be around any longer than the quick bucks last.

Alas HD does respond to pressure from dealers like that to some extent. In 2000 you were supposed to be able to buy a Sporster with a "Fat Bob" style 4.2 gal. tank since many customers had asked for a more capacity than the classic "peanut." Indeed, Harley's own 2000 catalogs showed many pictures of these bikes. But as things turned out you could NOT buy one due to pressure from dealers who said it made a Sportster look too much like a Big Twin. Now, everybody who knows squat about Harleys knows you can buy aftermarket tanks, fenders, forks and everything to make a Sportster look more like a Big Twin than some Big Twins (at least to the untrained eye who doesn't know what's obviously different about XL's). Some dealers even resorted to telling customers that the tank in the pictures was not available because it did not meet EPA specs. Gimme a break!

Neither HD nor their dealers have any intention of letting anything cut into their most lucrative models if they can help it. Honda may think they're going to with the VTX but all I can say is GFL.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 01:59 PM   #184
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda made automatics about 2 decades ago...

Trailer queens? I'd sure hate to load a Bosshoss on a typical motorcycle trailer (most of e'm would probably have some cracked welds if they carried one very far). One of those rigs they use to repo cars like a Landoll Centerfold or something would be the ticket if you were going to be hauling a BossHoss around!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 03:15 PM   #185
jollyroger57
Founding Member

Lap times on a course riding Cruisers? hahahahahaha What a Joke!!!! Better look up the meaning of the word "Cruiser". If your looking for lap times, try Sport bikes. Straight line acceleration from a dead stop and high gear roll on would be much more meaingful to us cruiser riders.
jollyroger57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 02:38 AM   #186
Larry
Founding Member

Default Re: Flame Warz

I really don't think the VTX is direct competition for HD. You're right, the HD buyer will buy HD. Those who want Harley's and can't afford them will buy Vulcans & Road Stars, as the VTX is pretty expensive. This new Honda will attract the buyer looking for the biggest baddest cruiser, but who isn't brand loyal.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:59 AM   #187
Andy
Founding Member

Hey, how come we sportbike riders don't get these wallpaper images? They are really cool....
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:16 AM   #188
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Well Rod,

I happen to think comparing the VTX to a Deuce is like comparing the Subline to the not so Subline. Stevo doesn't aggree with me. I kinda think the Harley is more of a work of art and the Honda is a copy. Stevo doesn't aggree. What I can't seem to figure out is where your comments fit into this argument.

If you can't contribute to the argument one side or the other, Stay out of it.

When the weather clears I will be on the bike.

party hard.................ride sober
sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 05:19 AM   #189
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

Cause all sport bikes look alike.........
sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 06:28 AM   #190
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Ugly seams around the tank.

When are more Japanese manufacturers going to ditch that UGLY seam around the gas tank!?!??! It makes the WHOLE BIKE look cheap. Kawasaki has eliminated it on a could of it's models and they look SO MUCH BETTER than they did before just because of this one little change.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote