Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-02-2001, 04:20 PM   #171
jpajor
Founding Member

Default Re: Right On Bro!

I do enjoy all different brands. some of my loyal trailer ridding buddys don't have a clue.
jpajor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2001, 04:29 PM   #172
jpajor
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

that sweet spot HARLEY RIDERS speak of is the front seat of the tow vehicle
jpajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:35 PM   #173
BOSCOGTO
Founding Member

Just put my name on a new VTX love big bikes have had 4 Harleys a Valkerye, V-Max, CB-1000 and a variety of cafe and dirt bikes... This will be far the biggest. But at 6'4" and 235lbs it should seem about right. Though what do I know I drive and Excursion too.

This bike should truly be called the ROAD KING! or is that Road Hog...No we can't use the word "HOG" copyright infringement. Well just get outa the way here it comes. LOL
BOSCOGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 06:39 PM   #174
westland
Founding Member

I admired Honda's Zodia ... beautiful styling ... this is my concept of the cruiser state-of-the-art. Curisers (in my biased view ... I own a Yamaha R6 and love the supersport 600 bikes in general) should be a styling statement, and I could care less about performance and handling (since they are unlikley to have either). Unfortunately the VTX 1800 looks pretty generic in comparison. I can understand opting for the traditional front forks. But the Zodia's lines are smooth and fluid. The VTX lines are sort of angular -- not that different from a Harley. The rear fender, the exhaust pipes, etc. lack the smooth curves of the Zodia.

I'm curious why Honda didn't try to incorprate the beautiful front fork of the Zodia. Would it be that difficult? It might be a nice opportunity to try a monoshock or telelever suspension in the front. Since the front will have a long trail anyway, who cares if performance isn't up to Honda's standards. And it's a cruiser ... you could have all the braking on the rear (or maybe link similar to what they have done). Seems cruisers are the ideal product on which to try these experiments (so long as the ultimate styling looks good)

I wonder if Honda reads this feedback? Hey Honda, if you ever really do come out with the Zodia, I'll buy one

Chris Westland, Hong Kong
westland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 02:34 AM   #175
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda made automatics about 2 decades ago...

A Boss Hoss doesn't really have a transmission at all. It's direct drive right off the engine's crank. It's not so much automatic as it is "one gear".
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 02:37 AM   #176
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Oh, I feel so sorry for him...

he might have to "dump" Sportsters in mid-winter at mere MSRP without even adding "vaseline tax" and what's worse a few of those customers might not even feel obliged to buy several thousand dollars worth of high-profit accessories because they know they can get them cheaper elsewhere. How pitifully sad! Bless his heart, maybe MO can take up a collection for him. IAL what he's actually going to do is let them sit there until spring when he'll get at least some of the vaseline tax he's looking for from people with money burning their hand stupid enough to pay it.

Re whether he'd like to sell more bikes at a higher profit, the answer to that is obvious but it's a moot point as long as the number of BT's he can get is limited no matter what else he sells. And it is, and probably will be until at least 2004. He won't have any trouble selling his max alloc when it comes to BT's so what's the point? My info is from an old reputable dealer (yes I know some people consider "reputable dealer" an oxymoron) that is not a greedy price-gouging carpetbagger. They sell ALL bikes at MSRP plus a reasonable flat setup which means their Sportsters actually sell at MORE over list (as a percentage thereof) than BT's. Note they also have up to 2 year waiting lists on some BT models and up to 6 months on Sportsters except during winter.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 02:49 AM   #177
frmrpat
Founding Member

I like the 80's
frmrpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 03:06 AM   #178
frmrpat
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda made automatics about 2 decades ago...

BOSS HOSS is this a real motorcycle or a two wheeled engine dolly? Never met one out on the road I suspect they are all TRAILER QUEENS.
frmrpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 05:17 AM   #179
WaymusP
Founding Member

Default What!?

"Direct drive" means if the motor is running it's moving. I don't think that would work too well in any motorcycle let alone one with a 350 cube V8. A single-ratio hydraulic drive (i.e. a 1-speed automatic) I could believe but not direct drive!
WaymusP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 07:18 PM   #180
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh, I feel so sorry for him...

Maybe i can try to restate my point...

There are more and more greasy carpetbagger dealers for all makes of motorcycles. The fact that Harleys are commanding such high prices only means that more carpetbaggers are harley dealers cuz thats where the money is. These carpetbaggers are taking motorcycles that could otherewise go to reputable fair dealers like yours.

So my original points remain applicable to what i would say is a very large number or harley dealerships.