Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-02-2001, 08:26 AM   #151
Bluto
Founding Member

Default I said it before: fins are still fins

I can't say how functional they are in this particular instance, but as long as cooling fins are integral or conformally attached, they will serve the same role on a liquid-cooled engine as they do on an air cooled engine; that is, they will shed heat. And they will shed a whole lot more heat than a smooth polished surface will, reducing the load on the forced liquid cooling system, which sucks horsepower to run.

You can call the VTX's fins "fake" all you want, but if they get too hot to touch, then they are doing what all cooling fins do.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2001, 08:42 AM   #152
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Different Strokes - Give a W/Bonnie a Try

If yer lookin for a true riding experience try one of the new parallel twins, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. IÂ’ve owned some fantastically fun bikes in the past (RZ350, VFR, SV650, etc.), but nothing comes close to what I consider the true riding experience than my W650. Comfortable, cheap, reliable, draws a crowd everywhere, did I mention cheap?
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:56 AM   #153
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Magazine dyno measurements had the V65 Magna putting out about 95 hp and 70 lbs/ft. If I had to guess, the VTX will equal the hp and blow away the torque. Of course, the Magna was a lighter bike with a top-weighted powerband and the faster quarter-mile times speak for themselves.

The V-Max, according to my dyno tech, comes in typically at about 108 hp (imagine my confusion) and 75 lbs/ft, so it won't be outrun by this new V-twin either. Of course, _feeling_ fast is what counts, whether you're talking v-twin off-idle torque or Yamaha's V-Boost. I think it's an apt comparison.

FWIW, my dyno technician believes that the magazines get specimens that are a bit too exceptional to consider normal.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:59 AM   #154
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Some dealers charge $1500 over MSRP to "dump" them...

and those that charge MSRP have a waiting list most of the year. You have a very strange definition of "dumping" my friend. And that's NOT what my local dealer tells me. But then neither your local dealer nor mine is "required, read REQUIRED" to tell the truth all the time, so take whatever you were told with a grain of salt. They may technically be *required* just like someday I might be *required* to get in the sack with a supermodel if she's got a gun and telling me to...wishful thinking --but "dumping" Sportsters at above MSRP is for REAL, I promise
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 09:03 AM   #155
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Different Strokes - Give a W/Bonnie a Try

My father owns a W650 as well, and I've ridden it plenty. All around it's an excellent motorcycle, though I still prefer the feel of a V-twin. It is a possibility, though, if nobody else enters the standard/cruiser market within the next two years. If it came down to the W650 and the 883, I'd probably go Kawasaki. Though if HD does something spectacular with the overdue new Sportster engine, it _might_ change my mind...I'd still rather ride Japanese though.

One thing--do you know of any aftermarket manufacturers that make a somewhat stepped seat for the W650? My father has fond memories of bench seats from his youth, but to me it just seems awkward.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 09:03 AM   #156
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Since you started it...

I think I'll pass on the Boxster and wait 'til I can afford a *real* Porsche, not a dumbed-down poser Porsche with an engine that goes "poof."
Old 03-02-2001, 09:10 AM   #157
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Honda and Harley - Trading Places?

On the road to POWER it looks as if both companies are taking different tacks. Honda is now following the mantra of the custom builder, more cubes equal more power. Harley will soon release their own power cruiser based around a new liquid cooled overhead cam v-twin rumored to have specs more akin to the current superbike genre (1100cc, 60 °, domed pistons, etc.)

Is this an unreported case of engineer swapping?

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 09:23 AM   #158
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Honda made automatics about 2 decades ago...

in the form of a 750 and 400. Laid an egg bigtime. They haven't dared put one on anything bigger than a scooter since. A slushbox definitely would NOT be for me but there probably is some market for a cruiser with one, and I'm sure Honda is researching that. In fact there already is a small-volume bike with one and it's in the same genre as the VTX, the BossHoss. In fact, it's the bike that requires Honda to say "V-twin" when they say "biggest cruiser" because the VTX might as well be a Spree next to a BossHoss. IAL the BossHoss uses an automatic simply because they couldn't find a satisfactory way to adapt any of the manual trannys available for a 5.7L Chevy V8. The clutch might be a little stiff, for one thing
Old 03-02-2001, 09:33 AM   #159
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: Different Strokes - Give a W/Bonnie a Try

I doubt if the W650 will have much aftermarket real soon because vendors fear it will go the way of the GB500 now that Triumph has the real thing back on the streets. IF it manages to stick around for a few years that will change and 3rd party vendors will support it. In the meantime your best bet for a more comfy seat for long rides (though it will absolutely RUIN the looks of it when attached) is to get a second stock one and have it re-upholstered by an outfit that specializes in touring seats such as Russell Day-Long (www.day-long.com if MO doesn't delete this for plugging them free --they do EXCELLENT work!)
Old 03-02-2001, 09:37 AM   #160
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Flame Warz

I think you are wrong. Japanese cruisers are starting to use Harley visual cues, and Harley is starting to use predominantly Japanese technology. In the last few years harley has started putting on better brakes, FI, and improved electronics. Harley is doing this to better their products, but i dont think they would make this effort without the undeniable pressure the Japanese must be putting on them.

You say that HD diehards are HD diehards, but i think their are very few diehards in comparison to the weekend riders with too much money. These weekend riders are buying the biggest and baddest, without regard to brand, IMO. This is the same in sportbikes, lawyers go out and buy Fatboys or 996's. I think this honda will take away MUCH of harley's business, because this bike will appeal to the weekend riders who want the biggest and baddest.

Basically all i am saying is that harley is enjoying huge success right now due to a lack of competition and still booming economy. I think VTX will provide competition, and hopefully the economy will support them both.