Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 09:13 PM   #141
jboyette
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

I would seriously consider the VTX if it was 150 pounds lighter. Why can't Honda make their cruisers lighter?
jboyette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 09:36 PM   #142
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default Flame Warz

These user feedback things always degenerate into the same pro / anti harley crap.

Japanese cruisers and Harleys are apples and oranges. Nobody, even Honda, should believe that this VTX or any other bike is going to steal away a significant amount of Harley customers. It is designed to grab Vulcan / Intruder / Royal Star riders.

Look, a VTX and a Harley have very little in common. There is a vast difference in price, performance, and technology. Also, testing this, or any other Japanese cruiser against a Harley is stupid.... for reasons I've already stated. I don't have any make cruiser. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Deadeye
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:27 PM   #143
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Your description of BMW is a bit overstated...

Granted the rear suspension of the Z3 (which i assume you are talking about) is not as advanced as its other 3 series counterparts, but that is because of space limitations. the 318ti shared its rear suspension for the same reason. They dont get the 5 link rear, you would have even less trunk than you do now. I think perhaps i am reffering more to the M roadster/ M coupe/ M3/ M5/ Z8/ 7 series, which are pushing the thresholds, with double VANOS, ceramic brakes (european AMG cars), 22 speaker sound systems (7 series), and all the other goodies i mentioned before. BMW and Mercedes both need bread and butter cars, witness the lower 3 series or the C-class mercedes.

Also, consider the E30 M3's... with the rev limiter removed, the 87-88 M3's can be revved to 10,000 rpm BONE STOCK when raced. Granted the cam belts/chains, i cant remember what drive system they use, need to be adjusted/replaced every 30,000 miles. That is higher than the "stratospheric" 9000rpm limit of the S2000.

And, by the way, go talk to your local HD dealer. They are required, read REQUIRED, to take at least 60% of incoming inventory as sporsters. If they dont sell the sporsters, their allotment of "big" twins for the next year is reduced. So, because, as you mentioned, there is a bigger profit margin on the big twins, but they have to dump the sporsters to get them. No knock on the sporsters, i personally like the 1200 S quite a bit, but the marketing strategy remains.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:29 PM   #144
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

remember, they have a 996 or 998 displacement limit, while the inline 4's are limited to 750 cc or so.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:01 AM   #145
jota
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general... BUT...

Not so unfair as it seems. Can't remember exactly who, but I think it was someone in HRC who said that fours still have a theoretical power advantage and should be restricted to about 720cc to make things equal. A twin will never be able to rev like the equivalent four so will never make as much power size for size, but it is the delivery of the power, as well as other factors like weight distribution and ground clearance which give V-twins their winning qualities both on the racetrack and on the street. It was a big loss of face for Honda to have to admit defeat with the RC40 and build a Ducati clone to beat the genuine article from the tiny factory in Bologna, but as soon as they did, suddenly they win the WSBK championship with the RC51. Nice to see that Ducati are faster in testing this year though.
jota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:05 AM   #146
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Re: Come into this decade

I wasn't dragging her. She was sitting on the passenger seat. I've also seen shaft-driven touring bikes exceeding the "normal" speed limit two-up. OK, so it wasn't 120 but I didn't say that I always stuck my wife on the back of the bike and thrashed it everywhere I go. I do understand that the throttle goes both ways. Honestly, she liked it though. Sorry if I stepped on an exposed nerve.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 07:54 AM   #147
mack
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

looks like a sweet bike - with all that torque why not make it an auto for ease of use
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:12 AM   #148
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

Yes, I may just do that too. I've always liked the ST1100 but it seems a bit too unwieldly for me to handle - I'm not a big person. Strangely, GoldWings are starting to look more attractive too. I must be getting old!!!
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:13 AM   #149
Bluto
Founding Member

Default it

Cruisers are about margin. Production cost on these bikes _must_ be low in order to return the kind of profits that allow the manufacturers to develop race/sport bikes at a sellable price. Does it make any sense that honda would sell a 929 or an RC51, bristling with new tech and exotic materials, for ten grand while asking twelve-and-a-half for a comparatively crude, simple cruiser? The only characteristics that separate the VTX1800 from, say, the Shadow 600 are sheer size and more/better beauty parts. And beauty parts are just not that expensive to make (unlike titanium exhaust valves or magnesium covers.)

Steel is cheap. Cast (instead of forged) parts are cheap. Stamped (rather than machined) components are cheap. And all other things equal, they all weigh more to do the same job. Cruisers are rich in these heavier type components because cost-cutting this way does not hurt sales.

When cruiser buyers stop buying because they want something lighter, then the bikes will lose weight and not before. Some other kinds of bikes may exist to establish a customer base, showcase new technology, or fulfill a corporate officer's dream design. Cruisers, however, will always try to deliver what mass market "bikers" think they want, and cruiser manufacturers will always make them as cheaply as possible and charge just as much as they can get away with.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 08:20 AM   #150
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles never seen one that I didnt like

hey i am right there with ya, i am about 128 lbs, and learned to ride on a 610lb dyna superglide when i was about 112 lbs.

Now i got a SV650, but ride a road king on occasion, and enjoy both thouroughly, they are just meant for different things.