Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 02:58 PM   #131
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

To me it's not a matter which bike would be fun I think they all would be. For me it's more of a matter of which ones I can afford or justify the cost. I like performance and I think it is neat that I can buy a good performing bike without having to rob a bank. I'd love to buy a Vet for less money then Buick Regal. I just picked up a new Bandit and compared to other bikes on the market I got a lot of what I was looking for. I was amazed how smooth the bike was.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #132
XS
Founding Member

Default Who cares?

Are you planning to tow anything with the bike?

Why would you want a bigger engine if you can't go faster or move quicker than the next guy?
XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:23 PM   #133
XS
Founding Member

Default Bad choice!

What you bought with that Z3 was not "character". It is called "marketing image". No I don't think I'll ever mistake you for the 007.

If you wanted character, performance, etc., you would have gone for the real thing: the Boxster. But we are talking cars now, SACRILEGE!

Old 03-01-2001, 04:27 PM   #134
XS
Founding Member

Default Ehem...

Aprilia's V60 twins totally rule. 60 90, get it?
Old 03-01-2001, 04:30 PM   #135
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

I'd say that truth is more likely the opposite of your assertion, people that ride big bikes often do so because they are fearful of small, powerful bikes. Such folks often prefer larger less powerful bikes because they are more forgiving (less sensitive to throttle chopping and inadequate riding form/position). While the greater stability of heavy bikes is useful for interstate cruising, it's not very helpful for negotiating tight corners. To paraphrase an analogy made by Jay Leno, a rider trying to flick through corners on a big bike is much like a fat lady trying to ballet dance, it's amazing if it comes off at all.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:31 PM   #136
EXUP
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles never seen one that I didnt like

Well said.... DuckyDave......
EXUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:36 PM   #137
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: This bike is just more of the same

The ACE 750 can compete in frame, not chassis. The beauty of the Sportster (which actually WAS created in the 50's to compete with Triumph and BSA) is that its got a shorter wheelbase (for faster turning in canyons), pegs about 18" more rearward than any Shadow (allows you to keep your lower back straight for long-range comfort and gives you better control in the twisties), better ground clearance, etc. Remember that in decades past, the Sportster was a _sportbike_, not a boulevard cruiser. I like the feel of a v-twin engine and the classic lines, but I want something with upright seating and faster handling (my Shadow 600 is lacking in those respects).

Both the Shadow 750 and Vulcan 800 would be great engines to drop into a standard/cruiser chassis. Powerful enough, but not too big or heavy.

Judging from the sales of the 883, a Japanese company would do great in this market. When I heard the first rumors that Honda was working on a new V-twin called the VTX, I thought it would either compete with the Sportster or the Ducati monster. Instead we get this behemoth (which is apparently popular with some, but was a major let-down for me).
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 04:39 PM   #138
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycles never seen one that I didnt like

Heck, even I've got to agree with you, and I've been one of the only people bashing this bike. Sure, it's not what I'm looking to buy (can you imagine a 125# bantamweight on that beast?!) but it sure would be fun for a spin or two. And I got no problem w/ anyone who wants this as their only bike. Different strokes, right?
Old 03-01-2001, 04:44 PM   #139
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Remember Hiroshima!

And slavery, too! And Dresden! And the Japanese-American internment camps! Boycott those American bikes, because every crime this nation has committed is the fault of its motorcycle manufacturers!!!
Old 03-01-2001, 07:52 PM   #140
dexman
Founding Member

Default Right On Bro!

Time these losers stop buying bikes based on what the manufacturers home country did back in 500 BC. Theres so many great bikes out there if we would only allow ourselves to enjoy them !
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote