Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 11:30 AM   #111
RalphKramden
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Me too- I wanna hear what they do on the track, wobbling and scraping around corners for all it's worth. Why not? Take all the 700 pounders out and give me lap times. You give us street impressions of the sportbikes, now switch. How much different is the lap time between an R1 and a Vulcan, VTX, Hog of your choice. Inquiring minds want to know
RalphKramden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 11:48 AM   #112
starvingstudent
Founding Member

1. Honda wouldn't be being totally original: the Virago 535 and the VMAX both use under-the-seat gas tanks, if I remember correctly. I think the intruder 1500 might as well, but that I'm not so sure about.

Secondly, they're appealing to demand. I, as well as many other cruiser riders, prefer the simplicity of a tank on top of the engine.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 11:52 AM   #113
z_mo
Founding Member

This was a Press Introduction.Geez, rodney, try not to draw grand, sweeping conclusions like "MO doesn't do it anymore". Drag strips and dynos aren't part of press intros. We'll pick up the bike in two weeks or so.

When we get the new VTX, much like we do with all other bikes when we first get them, we'll dyno it ON OUR OWN DYNO, WHICH WE CAN DO SINCE WE'RE THE ONLY MAGAZINE IN THE USA THAT HAS THEIR OWN.

z_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 11:53 AM   #114
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default This bike is just more of the same

Okay, okay, so it's big. But it's still exactly what 95% of cruisers are--very heavy, pegs way far forward, handlebars way wide. *YAWN*

When will one of the Japanese 4 realize that there is a vastly undeveloped market segment: the standard/cruiser? Light weight, good handling, pegs almost under the seat, but still classic lines and V-twin feel. Why is HD the only one who has entered this segment? I don't want a HD (you heard me right I DON'T WANT A HARLEY-DAVIDSON), but if nothing else comes up in 2 years, I might just have to say goodbye to Japan and buy myself a Sportster. Sportsters sell so well that it would be very profitable for Kawasaki or Honda to enter this segment.

But no, they just give us more big, fat, torque machines. Overexploiting one segment and ignoring the rest. Frankly, the VTX disappoints me.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #115
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 - In the crosshairs!

I had the opportunity to be a part of the survey to pick the final styling applied to the VTX. At the time we had no idea what company or when, or if it would be released. I thought, and still do, then headlight, rear fender struts and the air cleaner have to go. The exhaust actually doesn't look that bad in person, although I commented that out also when I surveyed it last year. One mockup (made mostly of molded plastic) was exactly what the VTX is today. Didn't like it then, don't like it now.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 01:02 PM   #116
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Remember Pearl Bailey,too!

Right!! Better thake the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes and electrics off of your Hog (tm), because they're probably made in Japan!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 01:24 PM   #117
bMw
Founding Member

Default I've ridden both bikes...

If I bought one, I'd buy the VTX. I'm 5'7" and the VTX is: 1) easier to ride slow, 2) easier to ride fast, 3) easier to wheel around the garage, 4) FASTER and more powerful than the Valk, 5) more comfortable than the Valk (to my sportbike/standard loving ergonomic sensibilities.
bMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 01:41 PM   #118
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default As I've said before......

Anyone who talks trash about this bike is simply jealous. I am an R1 guy, but this bike is phat. No question. Throw on jeans and a white t-shirt, your Pumas, and pick up your betty. Cruise down the midway to Porky's on a warm July Saturday night. Nothing better.

I would live to take a break from the R1 once in a while and roll around on this thing.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 01:45 PM   #119
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Well, golly, I know it was a Press Intro . I didn't draw my grand, sweeping conclusion about "MO doesn't do it anymore" from this report. I drew it from the fact that I can't find any 1/4 mile drag times in MO for 2001 and nothing in 2000 excecpt for the 600 shootout, nearly a year ago.

HP graphs are fine as they go, but no one can tell anything about the acceleration of a bike from a HP graph. You can't even compare two charts unless the bikes have the same gearing (and none do). SO MAYBE YOU WAISTED YOUR TIME BY GETTING YOUR OWN DYNO, MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN ON BOARD COMPUTER SYSTEM TO GENERATE 0-30, 0-60, 0-100, AND 1/4 MILE ET AND SPEEDS .

Anyway, I am looking forward to the HP graphs. I do use the info in my computer Drag Race program to calculate how the bike will run, including the 1/4 mile, top speeds and every other thing I would never do on the street.

Oh, and something that I would pay for: get a Honda Valkyrie, a Yamaha VMax, and the VTX and do a comparison test of the Muscle Cruisers. Now that I'd pay $12/yr for. Toss in some acceleration test info and lap times around a course and maybe I'd even up that to $20/yr!

You guys do a good job, I love the photos and the articles. It's just lacking in the hard core data department.

Rod

rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 02:08 PM   #120
Hochreiter
Founding Member

Duah! Honda Gold wing 1975 was under the seat tank!
Hochreiter is offline   Reply With Quote