Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 08:40 AM   #101
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

Actually, Honda is allegedly working on the new Blackbird, which is supposed to be a V-6, and called the CBX-XX! Yer not far off dude...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 08:43 AM   #102
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default There's always somebody willing to go one better...

for the insecure individual who has to have the biggest or fastest even if it's a dubious distinction. Cruisers are not even about out-of-the box performance (many owners do love to soup them by tinkering, but the fun is in the tinkering not in blowing away sportbikes because cruisers still can't do that even souped up). So having the fastest *stock* cruiser is a pretty dubious distinction IMO, but since it is a nice overall package you can be assured somebody will buy it!

Funny you mentioned the Excursion. Nope, I'm afraid ALL makers did NOT stop dead in their tracks developing a bigger SUV. Daimler-Chrysler is going to bring out a SUV based on the MB Unimog that is 9 feet tall, over a foot longer than an Excursion, and capable of carrying 6.5 tons. It may be sold under their Freightliner subsidiary brand which as we all know is famous for tractor-trailer rigs. The SUV equivalent of a Honda VTX!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:49 AM   #103
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Kaw brought back the Eliminator this year --all 125cc! n/t

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:04 AM   #104
croozertoo
Founding Member

Default Honda VTX 1800 - In the crosshairs!

Whoa! I AM the dead center target customer for this bike! I'm 51 years old, have been riding for 35 years (with pauses), started with '60's Britbikes and been aboard everthing from crotch rockets to FL's in the meantime.

And I feel like Honda has filled the gaping hole in their product line by painting a big red bullseye on my forehead. This bike has 99% of what I'm looking for in a motorcycle at this point in my life. Serious engineering, awesome power and decent handling all wrapped in great style. No wretched retro wire wheels and leather braid. No dragging metal at a 20 degree lean angle. No chrome-a-rama trashing up your eyeballs. Yowza!

The Valkyrie came damn close to perfect for me, but fell short in the engine configuation department. Not the non-traditional form of the flat six, but the complexity of six cylinders and six carbs. Just too much.

But this....a monster V-twin with manners and (hopefully) reliability? Kick ass! My only hesitation has to do with excess. This is a hellaciously big motor, and every big bore V-twin out there has problems unique to the species - oil consumption, vibrations, cooling....whatever.

If Honda can truly overcome these negatives, they'll have a world beater. At least for the next few years.
croozertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:07 AM   #105
pushkin_9
Founding Member

I'm actually looking foreward to the Valk's resale going down so that I can go out and buy one.

I wish yamahas Venture was as good as the Valk's...have you seen the cool speedo on the Venture? I don't get why yamaha's styling is so much better than everyone elses...I'd put yamaha's industrial designers up against the italians any day, and that's saying alot.

-P
pushkin_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:57 AM   #106
FidHawser
Founding Member

I seem to be the only one to care, but did the Honda people say how many degrees apart the firing pulses are with that two-pin crankshaft? How smooth was the engine at idle and at 30-35 and 65-70 mph?

My only real design complaint is the unimaginative shape of Honda's cruiser fuel tanks. Why not break new ground and stick a big fuel tank below and have the over-engine space carry an artistically styled airbox, tradition be damned.

Thanks for the opportunity to spout off.
FidHawser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:02 AM   #107
87jmm
Founding Member

I'm not trying to put anyone down, but really how much power do you need? I've ridden a great many bikes from V-Twin cruisers to trail bikes, old iron to one liter sportbikes that go faster than I would ever care to go. People hate Harley riders because they buy the bikes to pose, with their leathers and their pretend bad-ass attitudes. Well so what? I can't see where any bike that is up in the one liter range of displacement can be called really all that much underpowered. I mean, how fast do you want to go on a cruiser anyway?

I've toured on Harleys and they haul themselves and their cargo fairly well. I ain't gonna race anyone on one though, but I'm not gonna tour on a Ducati 996 either.

Lots of power on a cruiser is another form of posing in my opinion. One that I understand, but don't think that having all that power and displacement is really worth anything in a cruiser type motorcycle. It's a status symbol, kind of a mine's bigger than yours attitude. Nothing wrong with that, but for the most part, no one is going to "cruise" anywhere much faster than the existing speed limits. If you want to race, buy a racer. If you want the Honda buy it, same with the Harley, buy what you want and find your own reasons for justifying the purchase. 1800 cc's is one reason I suppose. Would you be interested in this bike with the same performance and smaller displacement? Or the same looks and worse performance? This bike is designed to sell to the perceived wants of the public, regardless if they make any sense or are logical. Motorcycles appeal at a more visceral level.

87jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:02 AM   #108
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I'm glad you mentioned that. I live in Colorado as well, and was considering a Magna as my next bike (one or two years away). I had assumed the engine would rip, as it's got one of the best power/weight ratios of any cruiser. Hm...time to reconsider a Vulcan 800 or something similar (I just don't like the looks of Suzuki cruisers)...

VTX beat an GSXR1000 in a quarter mile? Hah! I'll believe it when I see it.

Starving Student
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:13 AM   #109
Stevo
Founding Member

(Comparing a Deuce to a VTX is like comparing a Timex to a Rolex. No comparison.)

Answer me this. What good is that 10,000 dollar

rolex when it's not keeping good time and always

being repaired. I'll take that inexpensive and reliable

timex any day...

Stevo

Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 10:17 AM   #110
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Come into this decade

Sportbikes may rule in your opinion, but no one should drag a passenger at above normal highway speeds anyway!

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood shaft-driven touring bike rider!