Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2001, 08:29 AM   #91
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda VTX 1800 Reader Feedback

You don't see many on the road, were you talking about VFRs? Must be different where you live, or the bikes you see on the road. In the group I ride with (in Akron/Cleveland OH area) there are several VFRs. In fact somebody had recently crashed theirs, shopped around for a new bike, tried lots of other things (including my 00 F4), but but another VFR.

They are great bikes from what I hear, do many things very well.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2001, 08:31 AM   #92
ollie
Founding Member

Default Re: Cruisers, in general...

Good point. I have a sportbike, but I can more easily appreciate a cruiser's appeal after reading your post. I especially identify with the "caged animal" simile! Riding a sportbike tends to make a person high-strung, always wanting to blast past the inevitablly slower traffic ahead. For some reason, having the ability creates the need. I imagine riding a cruiser would be much more relaxed, and enjoyable in the same amount but in a different way. Actually, I started riding on a cruiser (Rebel 250, yeehaw), but I was more concerned with keeping my just-learning-how-to-ride hide intact than looking cool and enjoying the scenery. I may get another (bigger!) cruiser someday, who knows.
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:31 AM   #93
sLOWrIDE
Founding Member

I can only speak for myself, but, these "latest, and greatest" metric cruisers all taste like day old bread in a couple of years. They don't stick with any design long enough to really develope it. This philosophy works just fine when it comes to Sport bikes. let's face it, speed and endurance is what it's all about. But a cruiser is about (1) Looking Cool (2) Sounding Cool. and (3) Enjoying the ride. Comparing a Deuce to a VTX is like comparing a Timex to a Rolex. No comparison.

jmho

sLOWrIDE
sLOWrIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:35 AM   #94
jimngo
Founding Member

Default What's with the funky-ass rear brake?

That weird rear brake is gonna really screw up your trail braking into turn 3 at Daytona.
jimngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:35 AM   #95
12er
Founding Member

The photos of the Hunwick look awesome, well till you watch the video with the rider "on" the bike. Then its hidious... With the rider obstructing the lines of the bike it reminds me of a cbr1000, too much bodywork. To each there own I guess.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:44 AM   #96
98Viffer
Founding Member

Actually, the Vmax's handling have to do with 15+ old year frame technology in addition to the tires. Hell, the VMax's wheels don't even line up straight in that frame! I ride sportbikes now, but rode plenty of cruisers. The VMax's frame was pitiful even to the Magnas of the day, let alone now. Face it, Mr. Max was a wonderful engine and design, looking for a better home to sit in.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 08:46 AM   #97
nimrod
Registered Member

Yeah, Baby! I think I just found my mojo!
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:14 AM   #98
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Exactly...

Many many people would say "What's the point of owning a *motorcycle*?" They're uncomfortable in cold weather, useless in snow & ice, they can't carry much stuff and you sure as hell get the short end of the stick in any wreck with a 4-wheeler. Not to mention you get slapped with the stigma of immature at best and sociopathic at worst just for being on one. Now what sort of damn fool would want to own something like that? Well, WE know the answer to that, don't we?

Maybe some of those people would have more respect for motorcycle riders if we had more respect for each other!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2001, 09:30 AM   #99
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I ride a '93 CBR1000F... Obviously big bikes don't scare me, as mine weighs 608 lbs. dry, which IS very heavy for a "sportbike" (it's more of a sport-tourer), but a 700 Lb. dry weight is just rediculous.
Old 03-01-2001, 09:38 AM   #100
tony
Founding Member

I don't know how the Magna performs at sea level but it doesn't at alltitude. I live in Colorado and a couple friends bought Magnas. They expected them to run closer to the vfr but they didn't. The Intruder 800 was faster. I owned an 82 Magna and when they came back I was thinking I might want one as a second bike. Then when I road my friends bike I decided not. Alltitude seems to effect shorter stroke bikes more then long stroke bikes.

I have a hard time believing the vtx could beat a sport bike in the 1/4 mile.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote