Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #81
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

That would redefine the idea of an exhaust that goes "potato-potato-potato."

Sorry, somebody had to say it.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #82
Auphliam
Founding Member

Yeah, that's the same reason the Marine Corps established the Toys for Tots Foundation. They're just trying to improve their public image. We all know they can't actually care about kids. After all, we wouldn't want someone writing their congressman and getting the Marine Corps outlawed.

Only the members of society that have been annointed by ignorant bigots like yourself actually care about kids, right? A$$
Old 06-21-2006, 04:15 AM   #83
valoflyby
Founding Member

Does the pea***** know this?
valoflyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:20 AM   #84
nycsker
Founding Member

Two things that I hope will change in the very near future: guys will stop using pipes to make their penises seem bigger, and motorcycle.com will get a web designer who knows how to design a website.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 AM   #85
bmwdude
Founding Member

Or....hit this hornet's nest with that same stick!

Call it our "Pinata of pain"!
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #86
dragcab
Founding Member

I couldn't agree more. I ride a valkyrie with stock exhausts and just love the sound of......nothing, when I go down a long grade with the throttle off. I also have a vfr with a vance and hines that is not loud, but just alters the sound a bit to be more of a growl.

Back in my youth ( 1966) I had a triumph chopper that was so loud I put cotten in my ears to ride. I lived in a very nice area with big old apartments set back from the street and back garages. Every morning I would roll the bike out to the street to start it up , get it rolling, and idle away until I got to a commercial area. No one asked me to do this, I just felt it was right. More than one neighbor came up to me that summer to thank me for not waking up their babies. I never opened it up until I was out on the freeway. It is possible to have loud pipes and not disturb people, but I still think loud pipes are foolish and those who have them seem to think that it gives them some kind of bad outlaw image. I was only 21 when I did most of my stupid things, not all, just most, but I did grow up eventually. Unfortunately, some folks never grow up, they only grow old.
dragcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #87
bmwdude
Founding Member

What's wrong with MO?

We all like it here.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:47 AM   #88
Freditor
Founding Member

Default Re: The Blame Among Us

Good post and good idea, Don. But as a former resident of Capistrano, I HAVE to point out that it's "swallows," not "sparrows."

Fred
Old 06-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #89
BikerJC
Founding Member

I'll happily keep my Hindle race system and continue to savour the delicious growl my SV makes as it rips across the countryside, whether a bunch of cranky touring riders like it or not. I short shift in town out of respect to people on the street, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up the sound of an unbaffled V-twin. Cal me a squid, call me irresponsible, call me whatever you want. I much prefer that my bike does NOT sound like a sewing machine, and there are a hell of a lot of riders who would stand behind me on that.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:56 AM   #90
maxriderdon
Founding Member

To the human ear, a lessening of 10db is perceived as half as loud. By contrast a lessening of 3db is only a slight perceived change. Hearing is on a logorithmic scale instead of linear. This enables our hearing to have a wider dynamic range such as a flute playing softly compared to having an entire orchestra playing loudly.