Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #51
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: The Shame Among Us

Each dB drop exactly halves the sound pressure, IIRC, so a 3dB drop is actually dropping your sound output to 1/8 the original (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2) output. Sound *perception* is another thing. Most people can't perceive a sound as having dropped in volume by 1/2 until it has dropped several decibels, so that 3dB drop may not sound too much different than the original level to most folks.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #52
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Quote:
The thing is, what one person considers "loud" another person considers "not so loud".

Yeah, the deaf buggers riding the bikes consider it "not so loud" and the people without damaged hearing consider it "loud".
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #53
marcgio
Founding Member

Thanks Fred, I couldn't agree with you more. I didn't think that I was the only one who felt like this, but was surprised by the number of posts so far.

ItÂ’s all about look at me, with the loud pipes and the no helmet.

I have a 600cc sport bike that I put a Yoshimura exhaust on after it was about a year old. Now 11 years later, I now regret this as I think it is too loud now. I would like to go back to stock.

My newer bike I kept in stock condition. I would only be kidding myself if I thought it would make me a better rider or the bike would be better just by bolting on some aftermarket stuff.

IÂ’ll be listening to my stock RC51 sing to me all day Sunday.

ItÂ’s not about the bike; itÂ’s about the ride.

marcgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #54
dingling
Founding Member

SEE!!! Here we are agreeing already (if you read my last response to you 6-20-06). I had one next to my car about 11 years ago and you could see my coffee vibrating and forming ripples. I was getting a headache due to a long light.

I believe it still states in owner's manuals that it is a federal offense to change pipes with a $10,000 fine
dingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:50 PM   #55
gaineso42
Founding Member

Mental age, not physical age.
gaineso42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #56
Kirby
Founding Member

Fred is right on the money as usual. But I'm a little confused. I remember being ticketed for loud pipes on my Honda 90 back in the 60s. Now there doesn't seem to be any "loud pipe" fines given? And I'd like to say...the doofus that has straights are not looking for power...they are looking to get just what they get...attention. And we have to pay for that attention with bad attitude from everyone else...... Kids with toys and no supervision do strange things.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #57
xlr8r
Founding Member

'IIRC'? Not sure you do. I thought that each 3 dB drop halved the sound, so to go to 1/8 the original you'd need to drop 9 dB. ICBW, though...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:12 AM   #58
KLRer
Founding Member

I like whisper quiet at street speeds with a ferocious growl on tap at high rpms. Thats pretty much the Japanese formula. Triumph too.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 AM   #59
fl34
Founding Member

Just came back from New Hampshire and Laconia week. This couldn't have been more on point!
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:40 AM   #60
bigdx
Founding Member

"They [HD riders] are really nice folks who just happen to like to ride really loud motorcycles, and also not wear helmets."

My HD still has stock pipes and is quieter than most ricers. I also do wear a helmet.

Does that mean my HD is actually a Honda? Does that mean nobody riding rice ever goes without a helmet? Or no ricer has a loud pipe? Or does it mean you are simply just another moronic stereotyper?
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote